Author Topic: Strange and curious.....hearing returned?  (Read 8373 times)

Battyp

Strange and curious.....hearing returned?
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:54:42 pm »
Those who know me know it's been a strange two weeks....well it's just got stranger and would love some input!

I've also been confirmed with SSD...today I was at the ENT and he again confirmed my SSD.

Would love to hear what others think about this (heck maybe I'm just chocolate, soda and pasta deprived!)

I was rolling over in bed and got a searing ear pain.  Not unusual as I've had some before but only lasting a few seconds. This one lasted a few minutes.  I was laying on my "good ear" and typically when I do I can't hear house noises.  Well...I heard the a/c running.  I got excited and grabbed the phone and can faintly hear the dial tone, when I rub my ear lobe I can hear sound which I couldn't before.  Has anyone had anything like this happen?  I'll be curious to hear what the ENT has to say in the am.  I don't think he'd appreciate a call right now  (it's 2am here   ;D )  Hoping when I wake up I'll still be able to hear and this is not just a bad dream!!! :o

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Strange and curious.....hearing returned?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:39 am »
WOO HOO BATTY WENCH. Go girl. Thats great news with the hearing, cherish it whilst you can. Just hope it gets better and better. You could do with a change in fortunes.

We're roo....ing (can't say that word coz its r rated and I'll get demoted to a newbie) for you

Laz

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

richh

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:34:20 am »
This is most people dreaming here when the hearing is gone whatever way.
Good luck to keep the hearing on and on...

shoegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:04:34 am »
Batty,

I sooooo hope that your SSD is going away!  Please let us know what the ENT says, I am sure you will.  I really really hope this is a good sign and more hearing is to come!  Happy Day!

Good Luck!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Robquinn9

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:57:34 am »
Batty-

My wife swears she has some hearing left in her rt ear although we have not visited an ENT for a formal test.  They told us her hearing nerve was actually intact after the surgery is over (rare as I understand it).

Great to hear about you and I hope we discover something similar.

Rob
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:20:19 pm »
...and you didn't call me to see if it was legit (at that time) or  not? Heck, you KNOW the decacrud is keeping me awake at night!  Ok, call me at 2am and I'll confirm for you that you are RIGHT and your ENT is wrong!

(huggles darlin'... YAY!)  :-* :-* :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:41:39 pm »
Phyl I contemplated calling you but it was midnight here so I called matti knowing she was 3 hours behind me  lol  She probably thinks I'm a crazy loon  lol 

I had to drop my ct scans off at the ENT's today and unf. he was in surgery so the girls are leaving him a note about my hearing returning. Of course they're looking at me like I'm a fruitcake too  lol

My hearing nerve was intact after surgery I had lost about 50% of it before surgery..could not hear a dial tone on the phone or my son talking next to me.  I can hear the dial tone and mom's answering machine with the tv off, headset on and volume all the way up.  I'm sure the ENT will want me to go for a new audiogram to see what's going on.  I just had one done last month (or the end of feb I can't remember) it was my post surgical one which showed no hearing at all in my left ear.  They thought I was going deaf in my right due to tinnitus starting up.

Hoping it's the start of the facial numbness going away!

matti

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 04:10:34 pm »
Matti does not think you are crazy. I was thrilled ;D to hear the wonderful news. We want more of that!!! 

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 06:34:42 pm »
How Cool Batty!  Can you hear your finger in your ear when you stick it in there?  That is the weirdest thing for me, not hearing that.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 08:04:53 pm »
Yeah I kept rubbing my ear last night telling Matti I can hear it and I'm probably going to rub a blister on my ear  LOl

DeniseSmith

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 06:48:28 am »
BP,

that is great news!

D

carolk

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 08:24:04 am »
How Wonderful!  I believe in miracles. . .
ck

SKT

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 08:31:23 am »
That's fantastic news. So happy for you. That must be so exciting.  Hope it gets better and better.

thecakes

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 10:35:23 am »
   How strange but wonderful.  I thought i'd never read a thread like this one.  Maybe there will be chances for some more of us.  This is great news.  Good for you girl!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 10:58:10 am »
Your Royal Battyness- ;D

How's the facial numbness?  It took about a year to get the feeling back on the side of my head where my incision was. Nerves take a long time to recover!  Even if you have a little hearing on that side, does that mean a hearing aid will work for you?  Woudln't that be great to hear in stereo again? Whoopeee!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW