Author Topic: A confidence and self esteem booster  (Read 1699 times)

Lainie181818

A confidence and self esteem booster
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:53:42 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to share something positive with you all. I live in LA and returned last night from a trip to see my dauhter in Atlanta. It is the 4th time I have flown alone since AN surgery a year ago. The first time I tried it I was nervous, I wondered would My head explode as the pressure changed , would my dizziness be so bad that I would have to be  peeled off the seat at my destination and wheeled off with fluid escaping from every orafice above my shoulders. Well nothing happened except My self esteem and confidence wasn't the only thing flying at 35.000 ft. It was so empowering. Also the great thing is if you are seated next to a "Chatty" passenger and you don't feel like talking, you just point to your ear shake your head and say "i'm sorry I cant hear you". Anyway last night due to storms we were on the runway going no where  for 1 and 1/2 hrs. Did i get claustraphobic? no i just sat back and it felt good. After take off, I treated myself to a Rum and coke and then I felt even better. Now admittedly my husband is a Pilot with Delta, so I travel for free, but to all of you people who get the chance to fly anywhere and are to afraid to, or the folks going to the symposium [I wish I was going] Don't worry you will be fine, you will arrive just as wobbly as when you left but you can always blame it on the "Rum and Coke."
Lainie.
sorry about spelling

matti

Re: A confidence and self esteem booster
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:34:10 pm »
Hi Lainie - Congrats, I am very proud of you ;D   

Two years ago I flew by myself, first time since surgery. I was a mess beforehand because I always relied on my husband to be my other ear, help guide me through the mazes of people at the airport and just to be there in case my head did explode ;). I live in CA and my flight was to Vegas to meet up with my hubby who was on a business trip. Once I got on the plane, I let the flight attendants know that I was hearing impaired and they were wonderful. I was so proud of myself for getting by on my own and of course the 3 glasses of wine also helped.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
Re: A confidence and self esteem booster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 07:18:30 pm »
I LOVE IT! It's funny, recently, I have let people know that I am "deaf" in my left ear, and once they know to annunciate, it makes things better. Having said that, I am amazed that even with my right ear fully intact and left hear 50%, I'm still having a hard time hearing .. I am now just convinced that people do not know how to speak clearly...(And I still have to get after my husband, but now it's a joke with us) ::)

I have done a bit a travel post ck- and I do notice the "ear pressure" thing more. But hey Lainie, something you would know(or at least dumb farm girl would expect an experienced traveler to know this)- Is cabin pressure more tough or severe with smaller planes- like Mc Donald Dougles versus jumbo jet?  (I was on an Alaska flight this weekend, and both my husband and I noticed "ear pressure problems)... just a dumb thought...

Lainie & Mattie- thanks for sharing your travel experiences, I for one am going to play the deaf and drunk card more often! Woo hoo!  take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys