Author Topic: Snapped a pic of my AN  (Read 4592 times)

onebadass350bird

Snapped a pic of my AN
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:03:01 am »
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

onebadass350bird

Re: Snapped a pic of my AN
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:11:30 pm »
Well 17 hours later, they said they'd left about 10%.  After a follow up MRI 5 months later, they told me that the edges of the 10% (cresent moon shaped) had started to curl in on it's self as expected.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:52:56 pm »
Tom tell me this is the before pic!!

onebadass350bird

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:19:28 pm »
Tom tell me this is the before pic!!

Oh yes, sorry, that is about 6 weeks before surgery.

Tom

becknell

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 06:31:21 pm »
Tom -- why did they expect the edges of what was left to curl in on itself? Did that indicate growth, or just normal change? Sorry for so many questions, just curious.  :)

onebadass350bird

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 08:00:26 pm »
Tom -- why did they expect the edges of what was left to curl in on itself? Did that indicate growth, or just normal change? Sorry for so many questions, just curious.  :)

I'm pretty sure that it's what normally happens when they leave residual tumor in there.

Tom

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:04:10 pm »
Wow Tom!!!

You know something? We're both lucky to have made it through without the residual problems that can occur. We had great doctors!
 I still have that damned pulsing tinnitus - at this very moment. Did you have any headaches before surgery? Not me. Just neckaches actually.
There were two points at the skull base at the back of the cranium that were always sore. Not any more! Did you have any problems with spinal fluid? They had to put a shunt in my head before the tumor resection / debulking. Did the tumor effect your handwriting? My tumor was on the left side and I'm also left-handed. I'm assuming yours was on the right side and that you're right handed.
    I have some issues with certain people. People that either shunned me when I was getting sick or outwardly - as well as behind my back - accused me of being a hypochondriac as well as those that virtually betrayed me and pretty much left me for dead after my return from the hospital. All in all it was quite a lesson I learned. But you know what? I've emerged from it stronger than I was before.

Take care,   Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:41 am »
Tom,

I thought I was actually looking at Paul (CrazyKat's) MRI... wow! Amazing!  You both are doing fine and thrilled that the before is now "before" and that sucker (except for the 10%) is gone...  oy.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 09:49:02 am »

you sure thats not a baseball ??  :o

I gotta scan my one of these days .. it was 4cm at its longest.. and a little smaller wide wise ... looked like an egg ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

onebadass350bird

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 10:04:58 am »
Wow Tom!!!

You know something? We're both lucky to have made it through without the residual problems that can occur. We had great doctors!
 I still have that damned pulsing tinnitus - at this very moment. Did you have any headaches before surgery? Not me. Just neckaches actually.
There were two points at the skull base at the back of the cranium that were always sore. Not any more! Did you have any problems with spinal fluid? They had to put a shunt in my head before the tumor resection / debulking. Did the tumor effect your handwriting? My tumor was on the left side and I'm also left-handed. I'm assuming yours was on the right side and that you're right handed.
    I have some issues with certain people. People that either shunned me when I was getting sick or outwardly - as well as behind my back - accused me of being a hypochondriac as well as those that virtually betrayed me and pretty much left me for dead after my return from the hospital. All in all it was quite a lesson I learned. But you know what? I've emerged from it stronger than I was before.

Take care,   Paul

I used to get headaches, but only in the mornings for about 30 minutes.  And no I fortunately did not have any spinal fluid leaks.  I had the old shunt too with the scare to prove it if I'm thinking of the right thing, lol.  A and yes my handwriting was also left handed and has gone to junk since surgery.  I can BARELY sign own name, and if I write from 1 through 10 it'll take me about 45 seconds and be slightly legible.  I do must stuff right handed but one thing I didn't notice that I do left handed and never dawned on me before was SHAVE.  WOW, talk about risky when taking a shave razor blade and putting to to your face that you can only feel one side of.  I've since relearned how to shave right handed and getting a lot better at it now.  As far as the hand writing goes, I haven't decided yet if I'm just gonna wait and keep practicing with my left hand or just totally relearn with my right. 

Tom

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 11:46:50 am »
Tom,

Don't give up with your left hand. The doctors told me it will all eventually come back. I can see gradual improvement in my case. It's just a very long process. The doctors told me it would be the last thing to come back - I believe them. I'm a working bass guitartist - just think of what I've been going through!. It's getting better the more I work it though.

I'm heading down to Florida next week with my girlfriend - Spring Hill. We'll be heading down to Treasure Island, off of St. Pete, to jam at this joint called "The Katiki" with a guitarist I know. That should be next Monday.

Thanks for the feedback! Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

onebadass350bird

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 12:36:54 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure the Bass or most instuments for that matter would be really tough.  I really don't have a full time job right now since I gave my notice to leave my job about 5 weeks before my diagnosis so I really don't have a job to go back to.  Kinda nice in a way cause I don't feel pressured at all to go back to work since I don't have one to go to, lol.

Tom

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:15:59 pm »

DONT GET USED TO USING THE WRONG HAND !!!  I know is hard... but is the worst thing you can do !!! you will never regain good use of your hands unless you use them !! (my handwritting is better, but still not right)

with the shaving thing, I'm with you there .. started using a electric shaver because I kept cutting myself !! But now I did switched back to the razor because I think I was harder on my eye's , little bits of hair with get in my eyes and since I did not have enough tears or blink right .. it should NOT get flushed out and cause me red eye and soreness !!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 02:23:17 pm »
Tom have they sent you for occupational therapy at all?

If you're predominant hand was affected they should have sent you to OT to retrain it! 
I'm fortunate that my an was on my left and I'm right handed.  I still have trouble especially with cutting food etc...but am learning.