Author Topic: Can a normal ABR still mean I have an acoustic neuroma?  (Read 4150 times)

awomack10

Can a normal ABR still mean I have an acoustic neuroma?
« on: December 16, 2005, 01:26:35 pm »
Hi there! I'm hoping for some help here. I have slight asymmetry in hearing, but my ABR came back normal. I have no inner ear infection, no fluid in the ear canal, and all nerves and the eardrums are in working order. Now my ENT has suggested I have an MRI. My question is: if my ABR is normal, doesn't that mean I don't have an AN? I thought the point of the ABR was to tell me if there was a tumor. Of course, I was too confused to ask my doc when I was at the office, and I haven't been able to get him on the phone since then. My problem is that I will have to pay $1500 of my MRI and for me that is a lot of money. Does anybody have any advice? Thanks!

stein78

Re: Can a normal ABR still mean I have an acoustic neuroma?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:34:59 pm »
Get the MRI.  The way I understand it, the ABR just measures your brain response to sounds.  I am surprised they did that test before the MRI.  In my case, after I was diagnosed with AN (had the MRI), they gave me the ABR test and my results were pretty normal.  That way during surgery they could monitor if I was losing my hearing or not (comparing it to my ABR before surgery).  Hopefully that makes sense.  Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 01:36:35 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

matti

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 03:43:47 pm »
I also had an  MRI before my ABR test. My ABR was was done as part of my pre-op and  I believe it was pretty normal as well.

I think the only definite way to diagnose an AN is with an MRI.

Take care and keep us posted.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

SKT

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:20:46 am »
Please spend the money on an MRI.  My ABR was relatively normal and inconclusive.  A subsequent MRI revealed a 3.3cm acoustic neuroma. I know it's alot of money, but you will never be sure until you have an MRI

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:40:53 am »
I personally would go ahead with the M.R.I. and I myself think if a doctor has ANY reason to suspect A.N. (or any other kind of brain tumor for that matter) they should just go right to the M.R.I. and do the other tests (if indicated) after the M.R.I. I myself was worked up by a neurologist 4 years prior to diagnoses...that doctor did nerve conduction tests of some kind & EEG and there was no abnormally found....when I went for a MRI four  years latter they found my life threatening A.N. ( I am unsure of measurements but was told by several doctors they can't understand how it got so big given what they knew of growth rates etc and my young age of 23 at time of diagnoses)......my point is you can have a brain tumor and all other tests be "normal", as they grow very slowly and your brain learns to compensate. We now have the benifit of the technology to find these before we are gonner's so they should use it. I read somewhere around 15 years ago, when I was first diagnosed, that if they included the A.N.'s found in autopises that the incidence of A.N.'s would greatly increase and that many "unexplained" sudden death's could be cuased by the A.N. pressing on the brain stem causing the person to die "a sudden death".
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Sanddollar

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:58:47 am »
I concur with the others that having the MRI is a good idea.  I, too, was skeptical about it.  I thought I had a really bad sinus problem that was making my hearing muffled.  My primary care physician exhausted the sinus remedies and thankfully referred me to an ENT.

In conjunction with my first visit to the ENT I had a hearing test and office visit that involved some sobriety-test-like moves that I failed.  He said that he wanted me to do an MRI and a balance test, with another office visit to follow.  Another half day of doctor's visits!  I was beginning to think these guys were joy-riding on my insurance, so I asked why we were doing the MRI.  He told me it was to "rule out" a tumor growing on the hearing nerve.  Unfortunately, we ruled it "in" instead.

I can tell you that a picture is worth a thousand words.  When the doctor slapped the MRI on the screen the tumor was very obvious.  Right side clear, left side tumor.  I never questioned the diagnosis.  Neither has my VERY skeptical husband.  He had actually wanted me to do another MRI to confirm the diagnosis, but when he actually saw the film, he was a believer.  As for the ABR, I didn't have one until after all of this was done, and it did show a poor response in my left ear.

Having just received the bill for my MRI, I can appreciate the expense, but if it comes back clear, you will have that information toward a different diagnosis.   If not, you can move down the road to deal with the problem.  Fortunately my AN is small to medium in size, so my prognosis is good.  I am so appreciative that my primary care physician and the ENT zeroed in on the problem so quickly and I thank my lucky stars that I didn't just ignore my symptoms and move on.  Please consider this investment in your health and peace of mind.  Good luck to you!

Sanddollar
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:36:11 pm »
I agree that getting an MRI is a good idea.  I went to my local ENT because I noticed a slight hearing loss on my left side.  I had the hearing tests by the audiologist the same day I saw the ENT doctor.  He said, yes, that my hearing was decreased a little on my left side.  Since he could see no reason for it he sent me for an MRI.  When I saw the paperwork later it said the MRI was being done to rule out an acoustic neuroma!  And I thought he just wanted to do extra tests to make money.  I had absolutly no idea that he was even looking for a tumor.  I was otherwise quite healthy.  I was lucky it was diagnosed so quickly.  Turns out it was 3.5 cm and I had some problems with fluid in my head.  I had noticed something but didn't pay any attention to it. 
I've since had surgery to remove the tumor and am doing fairly well.
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 04:45:55 pm »
But if the MRI diagnoses a situation that needs important treatment, wouldn't the insuance kick in to pay for that test as an adjunct to being admitted to a hospital within a specified time period? Some catastrophic insurance works this way.  So, I am asking, if your insurer wouldn't have to ante up too?

I agree about the need for an MRI to get a definitive diagnosis.  This test is the Gold Standard for "seeing" many things.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 08:09:27 pm by Boppie »