Author Topic: how can you tell if its a facial ro acoustic neuroma before you have fsr  (Read 3122 times)

formula30

I have a right sided acoustic neuroma? 1.9 cm, touching brain stem...slight balance issues, some headaches....sometimes kind of funny feeling in face, not painful, but not truly numb either......how will radiation affect this if it is a facial neuroma, and not an acoustic neuroma.......is there a way to tell.....everything points to a acoustic, but I have read that radiation isn't good if its facial......now of course again I am second guessing........

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
formula30 ~

I would assume that your doctor(s) have recommended radiation treatment for you because they've seen the MRI, read the Radiologist's report and are confident you have an acoustic neuroma , not a facial neuroma.  However, for your peace of mind, I suggest you consider presenting this pertinent question to your doctor, who has training and experience - as well as your MRI report - and can offer you a credible answer that will, one assumes, put your concerns to rest. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

formula30

Thank you Jim, I assumed that the doctor would not recommend radiation if it would be a problem, but I hadn't really made my mind up, surgery or radiation until recently, and I will be seeing him next week.  Just seems like everytime I make up my mind, someone reminds me that I may have missed something.....thanks so much for your help and understanding in this matter.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Formula -

as Jim mentioned, your radiology report from your MRI should say what your possible diagnosis is. 

Mine said I had either a vestibular schwannoma (aka an acoustic neuroma) or a meningioma.  The location of the tumor - including which cranial nerves are involved - is a good indication of what type of tumor you have.  My neurotologist is the one who confirmed for me that my tumor was an AN.

If you haven't requested a copy of your radiology report - and/or a copy of your MRI (usually on a CD) - you should.  These are important things to have.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

formula30

I do have my mri brain scan results, and cd's.  The report states that it is 90% acoustic neuroma, and 10% chance mengioma...............it states that the mass is in the cerebellum and pons???  It also states it is large, which it really isn't 19mm x 18mm x 16mm.  Thanks for your help........I guess everyone is nervous..........just want to do fsr and get it over with, and get on with my life. :)