Author Topic: MRI after proton radiation  (Read 2803 times)

keithmcgowan

MRI after proton radiation
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:56 pm »
When should I have my 1st mri after proton radiation treatment?  I want to be proactive if the radiation didn't work but I also want give the procedure time to do its job.  Whats the soonest I would be able to see results?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI after proton radiation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »
Keith ~

This is really a question for your doctor to best answer as he/she knows your case history and treatment better than anyone. 

I underwent numerous MRI scans following AN surgery and radiation (FSR) and all were at six month intervals.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
Re: MRI after proton radiation
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:58 pm »
Hello Keith
Of course you should always ask your doctor. Just as an FYI, when we asked this same question to Dr. Jay Loeffler at Massachusetts General Hospital,  I believe that the answer was that the first MRI should take place 1 year later. We already have it on the schedule.

I bet you will be completely fine when you get that first MRI. We feel pretty positive that things will go well from our end-- and besides that, there is power in positive thinking!
Best to you- sending you a cyber hug,
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.