Author Topic: 2 YEAR POST OP MRI - confused  (Read 4214 times)

LOIS

2 YEAR POST OP MRI - confused
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:29:20 pm »
I just saw my surgeon today after having the 2 year post op mri.  I am really confused.  Last year and this year it showed what he "thinks" is enhanced scar tissue, he feels it would be more round if it was a recurrent tumor.  Also, I had been called by the nurse before the appointment to tell me there were additional mild strokes that I need to follow up with my primary dr.  I have a lot of other medical problems that he was going over a little too much considering what I was there for.  Before the surgery they found build up in the carotid artery on the opposite side of the an.  He had that done to acess the stroke risk.  It said to follow up yearly.  Last years carotid showed both sides built up with plaque.  When I asked for a script for this years, he said dont worry about it, in fact wait another 10 years if you want, this after being told I am having mild strokes.  The dr. and my husband started talking about this new health reform and it turns out he is all for it.  He went on to ask me if I realized how much my insurance had to pay for my MRIs.  Im 58 years old and I do remember when 2 years ago, when he did the surgery, he said something about not liking to do anything with people over 60, especially if they have other health issues.  Today, he told me after all this to wait for 2 years for the next MRI.  Does this even sound right?  Originally I was told it would be yearly for 10 years.  I feel like since he is for obamacare, I am older and have other health issues that I'm being kicked to the curb.  As much as he talks about insurance paying for MRIs, believe me, we pay a lot for that insurance not to mention the deductibles, co-insurance and co-payments.  Does this sound normal?  Am I maybe reading to much into this?  Has anyone else had this type of problem or has anybody actually skipped the yearly MRI?  Any info would be appreciated. ???

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
Re: 2 YEAR POST OP MRI - confused
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
If you don't feel right about your doctor. Please find another. You will sleep better.

Just tell the new Doctor that you didn't FEEL right about the old doctor saying he didn't like to treat people over 60.

Also, My general Doctor wrote the script for my MRI. Also you can get out the phone book and call MRI companies and pay out of pocket. Still need a script though. I found MRI's were I live for as low as $450. But most were around $700 range.

If you want. Just go to a general Doctor and tell him/her that you want a script for a MRI cuz you feel some tingle in your head and want to get checked out.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
Forgot to throw this in.

Check your Doctor out on www.google.com and www.healthgrades.com
And if you want you can write a review about him so others can know.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

LOIS

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »
Funny thing is he knows I still have balance issues, eye weakness and headaches, especially when they start where the dent in my head is and of course the hissing that never goes away.  My ENT was actually the original dr. that found the AN but of course had to refer me to a surgeon.  I'm sure he would write the script next year but regardless, at this point I dont feel comfortable with him, especially with the age comment.  And if needed I know most drs dont like to follow after one that has already done surgery on you.  I dont like hearing " I think its scar tissue"  either.  My son is a paramedic and said with this new health reform they are actually being given instructions on how to treat certain patients for certain things at certain ages, some as young as 40.  Can you imagine, the attitude of over 40 just put you out to pasture?  I dont know what this country is coming to.  In 2 years I'll have hit his 60 year mark and I kind of got the feeling like he felt I might check out before then because of another medical issue.  Anyway, thanks for your input.  I am going to call my ent tommorrow just to touch base with him about what went on.  I really dont feel he will have a problem writing a script next year.  If it wasn't for the he thinks its scar tissue I wouldn't worry about it.  Its just the "thinking" I dont like.  He should know.
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
Yea this Dr is a loser, kick him to the curb...stop paying for his fancy car and huge mansion of a house, he's a jerk!!!! A big fat jerk!
Go find a new Dr. who really cares about patients, and don't worry about seeing a new one.  They will get all the MRI's and the Dr's notes and surgery records so IF they read them it will be like they were in the operating room with you.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:28:12 am »
Where did you have the MRI's you have a right to go there if it is an independent radiology center and request your copies and I would definitely get another opinion... I was told for a year that my tumor was totally removed and my then on my 1 year MRI lucky I was on top of it got the report myself and needless to say I did not like what I saw.. I called the surgeon's and they are saying yes there is some residual and the test was better than the 3 month MRI..No one told me that I had a problem they only told me the tumor was removed and that it is just scar tissue ??? You have to be your own advocate and go with your gut feeling and keep pushing and try to find a doctor who is honest and truly concerned for his patients.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »
Lois ~

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this supercilious doctor, but it happens.  My neurosurgeon performed my AN debulking surgery when I was 63 (and in excellent health) and he never once mentioned my age.  I concur with the previous posters that you should definitely seek out another doctor.  One that actually cares about your health and isn't disdainful of patients over 60, which I would have found highly insulting.  Considering this doctor's attitude, I think a mutual 'divorce' may be in order.  I doubt he'll be too upset if you leave his practice.

My neurosurgeon was very diligent about ordering MRI scans for me but my last one, in 2008, showed tumor necrosis and some minor shrinkage so I've not asked for another MRI due to having no symptoms and financial considerations.   My neurosurgeon, a very conservative and compassionate doctor, has not asked me to have another MRI so I assume it isn't imperative.  However, should any new symptoms arise, I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to order a 'fresh' MRI - and I'm confident that we would, without question.  I would venture that if you're not experiencing any new symptoms, postponing an MRI may be considered - but that is strictly a personal choice that only you can make. 

On a separate note: any doctor that is enthusiastic about Obamacare must believe they'll serve their patients better by having more patients to see each day and less income, I guess.  Seems odd to me.  MY PCP, in his 50's, is seriously considering retirement rather than have government bureaucrats 'supervising' his medical decisions and overruling his choices for his patients based entirely on cost - and/or age.  AT 67, I think Obamacare will be a disaster for me and the millions of Americans in my age bracket, but, because ObamaCare doesn't fully take effect until 2014, only time will tell.  However, I'm not optimistic. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.