Author Topic: Pain 5+ months post-translab  (Read 1900 times)

LizAN

Pain 5+ months post-translab
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
Is it normal to still have pain at the surgical site 5+ months after translab?  There is a spot an inch or so wide between my incision and my ear that still hurts.  It has suddenly occurred to me that may be the site of entry and the titanium plate. Would the pain indicate a reaction to the titanium or is it normal for it to hurt there this long after surgery?  It's not bad enough to need medication but it is definitely sore. I'm having BAHA surgery tomorrow and hoping that titanium is not a problem for me.
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

LakeErie

Re: Pain 5+ months post-translab
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:15:11 pm »
I do not know if it is normal, but I am at 14 months and still have sensitivity in the area around my surgery site. Surgery involves transecting scalp nerves and those nerves seem to take their own time to heal. I have a titanium plate as cranioplasty and doubt it has anything to do with the sensations I feel in the area.
All that said, the area is less and less sensitive with time passing, and my surgeon assures me that the area will return to at least near normal eventually. It really has improved lately. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

millie

Re: Pain 5+ months post-translab
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »
Dear Liz an...I am two months out and have no scalp pain, but rather a numbness on that bony ridge behind the ear all along the incision.  I think  things may h urt  or ache when they grow and move around.  What about phoning or emailing your ENT?