Author Topic: riding a bike ? can you...  (Read 6737 times)

cpollard

riding a bike ? can you...
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:41:36 am »
so this is a random question ... approx 2 years before I had my op on a large AN I attempted to ride a bike at which of course I crashed into a garden because of balance issues ;)

So 6 years post op - my Mum buys a bike which i think hmmmmm im going to try - I couldnt ride the damn thing - kept literally as soon as my feet were off the ground i keel over - I dont have that balance nerve on the left but i thought my body compensated okay for it - so can i not just ride a bike A because of my nerve or B because im abit freaked of having a big crash so I just think its my balance??? lol - so can you guys ride abike and i just need practice like my 4 year old ;)

thanks
underwent surgery in 2003 for 4cm sized one - currently being monitored for the bit left remaining as its started to bloom again

sterry

Re: riding a bike ? can you...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
Re random bike question, I didn't have any trouble with this t 6 months post op. it was like I rode one all the time. Keep practicing you will get!
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:53 pm »
Yes, I can but it took me a while.

A few months post op I tried to ride a bike.  I promptly ran into some bushes  ::)  and gave up.

One year later I thought I'd try it again.  And I did it!!!

I do have to note though, that to this day I can't ride with no hands like I used to (I'm a little over 5 years post op).

In hindsight I wish I wouldn't have given up so easily.  So my best advice to you is don't give up.  Practice and I think you'll "get" it.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cpollard

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:06:13 am »
Thanks guys ;) great to know - well my 4 year old is going to love this process ;) ill give it another go ;) xx
underwent surgery in 2003 for 4cm sized one - currently being monitored for the bit left remaining as its started to bloom again

skipg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »
On ww and still riding motorcycle, hopefully after treatment I will not be riding in the garage with the engine running and the TV going.

Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »
Hi cpollard,

You can do it! Never say never! Just take it slow and easy. Maybe down the driveway or a side street that doesn't have much traffic. Build up your confidence, maybe have someone close to you, follow by jogging along side to give you the needed support you need. Don't give up!!! I was riding about two months after my surgery. I took it slow at first and gradually built up my endurance. It's great to go riding on a beautiful day, under your own power! Good luck to you! Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

jak1

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:38 pm »
I miss my Derringer (1930's style) boardtrack racer.. It is a bicycle with an engine.. you can pedal or drive. This thing goes 45 mph and gets 180 mpg.. I zipped all over manhattan and got to work in 8 minutes on the hudson river jogging trail.  I Loved this bike and I could not get the smile off my face every time I rode it.  Unfortunately, my AN was discovered only about 1.5 years after I bought the bike and I am afraid I not be able to ever ride it again as my balance is still very poor..

I hope my vestibular rehab starts to kick into high gear..

It now sits in the storage room of an apartment that I sold..

-JAK
2.7cm AN diagnosed 4/11.  Stanford CK 5/11.

skipg

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »
Hi Jak,
This is definitely cool. I dont know if my 6'2", 240lb frame would fit on this very well. Take it slow and I pray you will be back on this soon. What size engine does it have. I know in VA we are limited to 49cc and 35 mph before licensing is required.

Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

cpollard

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:51 am »
Jak - sending you some balance vibes so you can ride it again - it looks awesome ;)

Im definately going to practice just not brave enough yet - think im going to start off on a smaller on than the one i can practice on - ha ha ;)

on a very cool note - I figured out how to blow a balloon up for  my 2 year old today - took ages as the air escaped the side of my mouth but its a start - ha ha ;)

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:01:35 am »
You will get there I am sure just keep up with the VT therapy that is so important and very helpful...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:57 am »
Do keep trying!  Here are a couple of links which have stories of posties doing all sorts of feats (including bike riding):

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=8379.270;topicseen

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=11646.0;topicseen

Good luck!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »
I didn't have any issues bike riding, immediately before the tumor was found or after the surgery....mind you I'm the one who will fall off a chair while sitting! (go figure) Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it again (and in the meanwhile observers will have a laugh! Be sure to wear a helmet!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:33:31 pm »
At one point I was riding my bike to work, it was a great way to start the day.  Now with the AN there is no way I can ride anymore.  If the police saw me, I probably would be arrested for drunk driving   :)

So sadly my bike hangs on its hooks in the garage!

TJ

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »
Tried riding my bike when we went on vacation this past June, was not a pretty picture.  So decided that bike riding on the street in traffic or on walkways with people is going to be a no-no for a while.  I'm convinced that I can "re-train" myself to ride as before if I go out and use the many bike only trails we have around us.  Unfortunately, since that one episode in June my bike has also been hanging up in the garage but fall is coming (no pun intended  ;D) so I'll go out to try again.  Also, after my CK I promptly went out and bought a new bike helmet and actually wore it!   ;)  Would never wear a helmet before, thought I was invincible but not!

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

DHJ

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:58 pm »
Hi  I started riding my bike about 6 months post op and have become pretty comfortable except in traffic.I have also given up my motorcycle license as I have not used it in 10yrs and now is not a good time to start. Keep up the VT therapy and find a bike path.   Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear