Author Topic: New balance problems and maybe hearing loss too(?)  (Read 4783 times)

wendysig

New balance problems and maybe hearing loss too(?)
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:58:53 am »
Hi All -

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing some increased balance problems.  At almost 11 months post-op, this is fairly distressing, although as many of you know, I have been having knee problems and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and runners knee and have been in PT for these problems. My knees are actually feeling a little better but I sometimes  also have some (usually) mild dizzyness.  I sent an e-mail to my doc who said joint disease can cause  balance problems  but not usually to the point of causing vertigo.  I didn't mention to him that  the  hearing in my good ear seems to be flutcuating too I can't really decide if it's my BAHA or my actual hearing tha's causing the hearing problem and the device seems to be working well.  I  have an MRI scheduled in a few days but have not mentioned my perceived hearing problems to my doc.  I keep going back and forth between thinking I have a problem and thinking it's my imagination.  The fun just never ends.  What do you thinkI should do?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New balance problems and maybe hearing loss too(?)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:29 am »
Wendy -

sorry to hear about your problems; hope things improve very soon.

IMO you should get a hearing test to see if you are really losing hearing in your "good" ear.  Once you have that question answered, you can move ahead accordingly.

Good luck; keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:49:33 am »
Wendy .....

So sorry about the recurring problems.  It is distressing when we have these set-backs, isn't it?  I'm glad you are scheduled for the MRI soon and as Jan said if you have not had an audiogram recently, that should be done, as well.  Really the only way to know for sure if your symptoms are caused from the AN or not.

I know my recovery has been an up and down pattern all along ..... just when I thought "Ah, this is the end of these annoying symptoms" ..... wham, a fresh set would hit me again.

Keep us posted.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:58:35 am »
Wendy~
So sorry this is happening - that just stinks!  I agree with the others - lay ALL your cards out on the table so that you can really see what you are dealing with!  Let us know...I know you will!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:51 am »
Definitely get it checked out, for your own peace of mind!  And then let us know.   You are in my prayers, of course.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

moe

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:10:38 am »
Wendy,
Yep it is so normal to dwell on recurring symptoms and wonder if something else  is going on. And worrying is normal too. I still do it.
We are just more in tune to our body now post op, after what we've been through.
Let us know what the MRI and hopefully audio gram show-hopefully nothing you can't deal with ;)
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

epodjn

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:57 am »
Get your hearing checked and stop doubting your instincts. It took me 2 years to figure out it wasn't just my imagination, I was really having hearing and balance problems. If I had gone to the doctor when I first noticed the changes in stead of wondering if it was all in my head (which is was LITERALLY) I'm sure I would have been able to take care of my AN before it was 3.2 cm.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:13:04 am »
Hi Jan, Clarice, K, Maureen, Priscilla and Epodjn,

Thanks for all of your responses.  I sent Dr. Choe an e-mail and he must have been online because he responded immediately and told me to come in for an audiogram tomorrow at 10:00 a.m.  This is why I really feel blessed to have this man as my doctor -- he is always right there for me.  Hopefully it will turn out not to be as bad as I fear it could be and I won't have to wait another week to wonder if there is something to be really concerned about.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

kenneth_k

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:13:53 am »
Wendy,

I think it is quite normal to loose self confidence once in a while and to be afraid to trust your own feelings. I think your doctor will be very understanding if you mention your problem. In my opinion, get it out of your system in stead of keeping it inside.

Wish you the best, Kenneth.

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »
Kenneth,

Thank you for your good wishes.  As you can see I did conact my doc and he was understanding and concerned.  Hopefully things are better than they seem.

Cheri,

I've had knee problems for  a while (pre-AN or at least before my knowledge of it).  I've had many knee injuries and they finally caught up with me.  Looking back, it's possible that some of the injuries I've had were caused by balance problems brought on by my AN before I knew of its existance.   When I was diagnosed, my doc told me he believed I'd had my AN for at least 10 years.  As far as the actual diagnosis, that is recent but a lot of the problems were there long before the diagnosis was made.  I'd just written them off as the inevitable results of past injuries until the symptoms got too painful to fluff off anymore.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:14 pm »
Wendy -

glad you're being tested tomorrow.  Please don't forget to update us on the results; you know how we worry.

And, kudos to you on choosing such a great doctor.  Dr. Choe sounds like my kind of guy!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »
Hi all,

Welll, I'm sort of embarrassed to tell you this, but  my hearing problems seem to be  due to earwax.  I can usually feel it when I'm having this problem but not always.  It turns out this part of my story has a fairly happy ending.  I audiogram did show a slight loss and the audiologist said that could be due to retesting and not a real loss.  Hopefully, my MRI next week will bring no new surprises.  Until then, I'll  still feel a little uneasy.  Thanks for being there for me.  You are great!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 06:05:17 am »
Wendy .....

Don't ever be embarrassed to share your concerns with us ...... we never know when it is little or big ...... and many of us have walked in your shoes!  Thank goodness your hearing problems were due to earwax.  I can relate because recently I suddenly began having so much feedback with my hearing aid (in my AN side ear) and could not hear nearly as well with it.  A trip to the audiologist was the same answer, earwax ..... and I have almost never had any buildup of earwax in my adult life so it was quite surprising.

Now we will concentrate on bringing good thoughts that your MRI next week will be OK.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:51:07 am »
Clarice,

Thanks for saying exactly the right thing to make me feel better.  I know my doc was relieved for me too, but I couldn't help feeling just a little silly for not realizing what the problem was.  And thanks for your good wishes for next week too.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get more good news.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

moe

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:24 am »
Wendy,
Great news about the earwax!
Really, don't be embarrassed. I was hoping for news like this.
The ear wax can probably be stuck way in there and needed to come out anyway.
Maybe invest in some ear wax removal drops for prophylaxis.
Good vibes your way for a clean MRI.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty