Author Topic: My incision is still leaking  (Read 25407 times)

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
Re: My incision is still leaking
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:37 am »
Wendy,
     just tuning in and I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm sending you a special prayer and waiting to hear good news from you when you come back from the doctor's.  Does that mean that we are never in the clear for having a CFS leak?  Just wondering when it's safe.
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

lori67

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:36 am »
Wendy,

It sounds like your doctor is on top of things and will be able to get you fixed up.  I'm glad you're having it checked out though.  I hope all goes well.  Keep us posted.

Sue,  I was told that the risk of a CSF leak is a "lifetime risk", meaning there's always a chance it could happen, but certainly not something you should worry yourself sick over.  I seem to remember a thread along these lines a few months back, but I can't remember what the subject was.  If I get a chance, I'll try to search for it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 03:08:45 pm »
There is a woman on the HFS supporr board who had a CSF leak 20 months post op. I think it was from her nose though rather than her incision site.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Tamara

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »
If it IS a CSF leak, I highly recommend the suture, staple and super glue method to stop it!  Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:41 pm »
Wendy!  I just logged on and this was the very first thread I saw.  I can't BELIEVE it!  I am sending you prayers and as much good ju-ju as I can find.  I am flying out early tomorrow morning to visit my parents in OR but will check in here late tomorrow to find out what is going on.  I SO hope you don't have a CSF leak. 

Debbi, sending you big hugs
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 07:37:36 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks for your good wishes and prayers. Good news --no CSF leak but more of  the same, I didn't even think of asking why it was clear instead of the usual orangeish color serous fluid usually is but I don't really care.  Since the bottom of my incision was slightly open he sutured it and put on a head wrap (bright blue -- if I can, I'll post a piture) and I have to wear it  until Monday to prevent fluid from building up under my skin again.  This is way better than a CSF leak though.  I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you but by the time I got home it was time to pick up my oldest daughter from school, then dance class for both girls, dinner,  a sleepover party at a friend's house for my younger daughter and I am finally home.  I plan to do a lot of nothing this weekend.  I've been so busy trying to lead a somewhat normal life, I wonder, and didn't ask, if this problem was the result of trying to do too much.  I'm seeing Dr. Choe again next Friday, preseumably to get the sutures removed and  sincerely hope I will be able to close this chapter of my reocvery then.  Thank you Jan, Lori, K, Tammy, Marci, Jim and Debbi, Sue and Sara for your support, prayers and concern -- it reallly means more to me than I can say  -- you have all become a second family to me and and am so thankful to have you in my life.

Sending you all a big hus,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 07:45:32 pm »
WHEW!!
I have been waiting to hear all day - so glad it wasn't a CFS leak!  Enjoy your weekend and DON"T DO ANYTHING!!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 08:01:21 pm »
Great great news!!!!!!!!!!  Now please get some rest and let this heal well.  God Bless!
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:21 pm »
Wendy:

Thanks for the encouraging update!  I hope you can stay leak-free from now on. 

You've certainly earned a 'do-nothing' week-end, so please make the most of it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 07:22:02 am »
Wendy,
I don't know if your leaky head is a result of anything you have done (I doubt it) but it does sound like you are doing too much.  Take it from someone who is also overdoing!  Slow the heck down, will you?  Even if you feel good, try and do less.  I will now try to follow my own advice.  ;)
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 08:16:00 am »
Wendy -

The only thing your head should be doing this weekend is resting on a nice, soft pillow!  Take the weekend off - the "stuff" will get done later!  Put your family to work this weekend!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 11:44:12 am »
Hey Wendy,

Glad it wasn't CSF, but know no leak can be fun.  Hopefully they've stopped it up and that will be the end of it for you.  As others have said - do try to take it EASY this weekend!  It's gorgeous down here today - hope you're having pretty weather also.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »
Wendy -

great to hear it's not a CSF leak.  Sounds like Dr. Choe fixed you right up.  Here's hoping the fix "takes" and stays that way  ;D

Looking forward to seeing your new blue "headress".

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 05:27:45 pm »
Wendy-
I just got to my parents place in OR and raced to their computer to find out how you are - SO glad it isn't a CSF leak!  You need to have everyone wait on you hand and foot.  I am continuing to send you hugs and prayers and good ju-ju from Oregon. Stay dry!

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 07:29:13 pm »
Hi all,
Thanks again for all your concern and wonderful messages.  Today turned out not be be quite the relaxing day I had in mind but I did take it easy.  We had a flood and had to move most of the furniture on t he first floor into one room.  I only pushed things around and supervised,no lifting for me.   After a while I had enough and told Rob and the girls to deal with it.  Everything turned out okay and nothing got ruined.  Somehow they managed without me which I felt both good and bad about.  The girls felt a little put upon but I told them "Guess what -- that's life!"  Actually my 14 year old has been really wonderful since my surgery - she has real nurturing instincts.  My 12 year old has been good too but seems to just want things back to normal.  I can't say that I blame her, I do too.  I was hoping ot try to post my picture wearing my beautiful (Not really) blue head wrap today but Jen (my 14 year old) took it with her camera and she is sleeping at a friend's house tonight and took her camera with her, so I'll try tomorrow.  I have Debbi's instructions so I'm hopeful I'll be able to do it.  If I'm successful, I'll try to find a nice recent picture to add to my profile too.  Anyway, I spent the afternoon napping on and off and am now wide awake so I hope I didn't overdo the napping.  I have nothing planned for tomorrow and that's what I'm hoping to do.  I'll try to take all your advice and have everyone take care of things, I know they can, I'm just used to being supermom and have a hard time letting it go, especially now that I really feel pretty good, except for this leak of course.

Debbi - Thanks for your concern and good  wishes-- have a great visit with your folks!  I get to wear my headwrap until Monday so I'll be on good behavior.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!