Author Topic: Fat graft leaking  (Read 8150 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Fat graft leaking
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 09:39:01 am »
Wendy,
I'd like it if my fat would leak for a while, would make dieting easier.  What a drag on an otherwise stellar recovery.  Don't let it get you down, you're doing great.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:23 am »
Marci,
If my fat graft was leaking from my abdomen I would be happy (I think -- I'm not entirely sure this would be a good thing) because my belly would be shrinking!  Alas, it is leaking out of my head so only adds to my leaky head incision misery -- you're right though, I am having a great recovery in every other way!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 02:50:59 pm »
And, I want you to know, Wendy, that you were the topic of conversation as my hubby and I were laying in bed last night recapping the day!  Willie is now on a mission to find out what happens, long term, to the fat that is placed in our heads (assuming it doesn't all leak out like yours if trying to do!)  Thank goodness we're seeing Dr. Golfinos next week!

Hope the head stops leaking soon - otherwise they may have to shore up the fat supply!!  :) ;) :D

Debbi, sending dry thoughts your way...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 09:02:08 pm »
Hi Debbi,
According to a conversaiton I had with Dr. Choe, the fat placed inside our heads is usually reabsorbed by our bodies, except of course in cases like mine where it liquifies and leaks out.  My incision seems to be trying to stop leaking again -- this has happened before and it has started leaking again as mysteriously as it stopped, but this time I am cautiously optimistic.  It has not leaked for about 6 hours now -- the longest it has ever gone without  leaking, except maybe and I don't really know this for certain, but maybe when I was sleeping.  Maybe I finally ran out of fat and other things to leak.  Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow my incision will be as dry as it is now!!!

Wendy - Thinking dry thoughts in NYC
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:44 am »
Hi Lori,
Do they make training wheels for a 26 inch bicycle?  A very intersting idea!  Just FYI,  when I got up this morning myincision was leaking again.  Will it never end?

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 07:51:03 am »
Bummer, Wendy!  I know your dr says it's not serious (only serous, ha ha ;D) but maybe you could ask about getting adhesived.  Mumble something about either needing that or some anti-depressants - maybe that would get his attention. ;)

As far as the training wheels - I was really going to dig them out of the basement if needed.  I think you could just attach them and angle them down.  Happy wheeling to those who go...

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

lori67

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:35 am »
Well, if they don't make training wheels for big kid bikes, then maybe that's another money making opportunity for us.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:49 am »
I think the solution to training wheels for "big kid" bikes is just the huge tricycle with the large basket in back  :D

Take heart, Wendy.  This time next year you'll be cruising on your two-wheeler without any balance issues whatsoever.  Just takes time - and patience  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 02:06:35 pm »
Tammy,
I got a good laugh out of your joke.  Maybe I will ask again about taping the incision when I see the doctor on Frrday if it's still leaking -- I still hope it will stiop on its own before then.  I really do think it is trying...it leaks a little and stops for a while and leaks a little more.  It has to stop eventually (I hope so anyway).

Lori - I knew you would come up with a great money making  idea again!   Training wheels for bigger bikes -- there may be a calling for that, heck I'd use them!  Maybe James could whip some up in the garage unless you've gotten good at this kind of thing -- I'm all thumbs.

Jan - I like your idea too.  I haven't seen them in a long time, but I know I've seen those big tricycles.  I'll bet they'd be really hard to tip over too so they'd be great for those of us with balance problems.  Dependable transportation and a good form of exercise too!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 07:42:14 am »
Wendy~
One of our neighbors at our old house had one of those trike things (he was older) and he road it every night in the summer in his circular driveway (my girlies call them "rainbow" driveways, BTW).  Dave always oked that he was going to get me one!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 08:38:26 am »
Okay, enough about training wheels - how is the leak today, Wendy?  You've been Queen of the Icky Heads long enough now...

Deb
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 10:21:55 am »
Sorry to say I am still Queen of the Icky Heads.  I am seeing Dr. Choe tomorrow and will see what he has to say.  I think I must be accumulating a lot of fluid in or under my skin again since there is a small lump just above the bottom of my incision again.  When I gently push on it (I've done this before and told him about it.  He didn't comment so I don't know if this is a good or bad thing to do) lots of serous fluid streams out -- yuck!

Wendy - Still Queen but ready to give up my ritle
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »
Hi all,
Just back from seeing Dr. Choe.  The last time I e-mailed him (September 2)  my incision had been dry for several hours.  When it srtarted leaking again the next morning I decided to wait and talk to him bout it in person.  Although he was surprised to find it is still leaking, he is still not ready to intervene.  He still feels it is better to let it drain because the fluid can still build up under my skin and be a potential problem.  I told him I think it is trying to stop leaking since it stops for a few hours at a time and then starts leaking again.   I am scheduled to see him agian on October 3 and he said if my incision is still leaking at that time, he will suture it.  So that's the story, it looks like I'm the reining queen of the Icky Head Club for now.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Wendy - Her Royal Highness Queen of the Icky Head Club
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »
Wendy~
Sorry that you are still ave to deal with this, but glad you aren't having to do more as far as treatment of an infection or anything!

have a good weekend!  ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 04:09:32 pm »
Hi K,
Thanks.  i'm certainly glad there is no infection but s you can imagine this is not fun.  On the brightr side of things, I got to try the  BAHA demo and loved iit, but that's another subject.  I posted my experience on that under "Hearing iIssues"   In short, it was awesome!  Hope your weekend is great too.!

Wendy 

2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!