Author Topic: Fat graft leaking  (Read 8148 times)

wendysig

Fat graft leaking
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:59:55 pm »
Hi all,

I just thought I'd share my latest post- AN experience with you.  Since this past Wednesday my fat graft has been leaking from my incision.  I will spare you  most of the gorey details as it is kind of disgusting but wanted to share the experience since if it happened to me it can happen to anyone else.  When I got up on Wednesday I noticed my incision was leaking more than usual and decided to take a closer look and saw this new surprise was some clear yellow gelatinous stuf. leaking out.  I contacted my doctor who confirmed, based on my desription,  it was fat from the fat graft.  He further explained that sometimes the fat graft liqufies and leaks out for a while.  If this happens to anyone else, unless there is some reason to suspect an infection, there is no cause for alarm but it needs to be watched for just in case purposes.  Of course, as with anything of this nature, it should be reported to your doctor -- I just wanted to share this so that if it happens to you, you will not freak out.

Wendy -  Still a reluctant member of the Icky Head Club
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kathleen5306

Re: Fat graft leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:46:03 am »
Wow, Wendy.  You seem to come up with all the unique experiences!  My surgery was just a few days after you, and I have not had this yet.  I am glad you shared to keep everyone aware that this can happen.  I hope you are getting better, stronger and fully healing!

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:58:46 am »
Wendy -

you are certainly unique.  In all the time I've been reading posts on this forum, a fat graft leak is a new one on me  ???  I never even realized this could happen!  My graft incision never leaked anything at all. 

Thanks for letting us know since as you say, if it can happen to you, it can happen to others.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »
Hi Kathleen and Jan -
I think I must have given you the wrong impression.  The fat is not leaking out of my abdominal incision, it is leaking out of the incision in my head - my abdominal incision is fine, in fact I'm amazed at how quickly this has healed.

Kathleen - Although my doctor told me the fat graft leaking is not cause for alarm, it is not fun either, so I hope this is one experience you don't have.  It's reallly kind of disgusting even if it is harmless.

Wendy - Champion member of the Icky Head Club
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »
Well, Wendy, you are unique, aren't you?   ;)

I guess you must have had the wrong kind of fat - mine never leaked because mine was probably just a giant solid mass of fat to begin with!   :-\  I still think I should be able to donate the rest of it to someone who needs it.  Keep me in mind if you leak too much and need a refill!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:36:17 pm »
Hi Lori,

I know I can always count on yoiu for your generosity!!  Yes, am unique in the sense of my leaky head, my doctor said this only happens 10 - 20% of the time.  I've always been an overachiever so I'm not really that surprised this happened to me.   Since my head does seem to be rejecting my own fat (why can't it the rest of my body reject all my fat though?) maybe I should have gotten a donation from someone else.  To be honest, my incision has been leaking for so long I'm amazed there is anything left to leak out.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »
Wendy -

thanks for explaining your subject line.  I thought you meant your belly incision was leaking - which I have never heard of; although I'm sure it's not impossible.

I have heard of head incisions leaking - or oozing - but I never experienced that.

Just lucky I guess - glad I'm lucky in some aspects of my life  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:56 am »
Hi Jan,

I guess all of us deserve to be lucky in some way.  I consiider myself lucky too -- my leaky head and balance are the biggest problems I have had.  Considering the possibilities I think I am lucky.  The leaky incision is more of a bother than anything.  Since it stops leaking for an hour or two  occasionally (I know because I am still such an optimist I leave my bandaid off if it's not leaking in the morning and I usually change it twice a day),  I always hope it's stopped for good and then it starts again.  This too shall pass!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:32:58 pm »
Oh, Wendy!  I am just getting caught up on posts and immediately read yours.  Yep, you get to be the Queen of the Icky Head Club now - uncontested!  I am glad it is not medically urgent, but regret that you have to deal with it at all.  And, as you said, it sounds plenty yucky. 

Hope you had a good weekend, other than leaking belly fat from your head?

Debbi, can't get rid of fat to save my soul!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:41:53 pm »
As long as it's not CSF, couldn't your doctor put some adhesive on your incision?  That's what mine did with the CSF leak twice (kept leaking in different spots) before deciding that that wouldn't work.  But it might work for you - maybe you could ask?  Ultimately I was brought back to the OR for more stitches, staples and glue, which sealed everything up tight.  I understand that the CSF leak is more critical than the liquified fat leak, but it sounds like a pain.

Keep dry thoughts,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 02:12:32 am »
Hi Debbi =
Apart from my leaky incision evverything is good.  I hope the leaking stops soon because I'm wondering what will happen next.  I've been leaking one thing or another since August 6 and it's getting on my nerves.  As things go, and since there is no sign of infection, which I'm truly grateful for, it may not seem to be much to complain about but it is a pain in the butt!! Thanks for the title of Queen of the Icky Head Club -- it makes me feel so special!!!   I hope all is well with you.  How did Willie like the onion goggles?

Hi Tamara - I haven't seen you post in a while and hope you are well.  I noticed your signature said you CSF leak is under control.  Has it stopped or are you still having problems?  My doctor said since the fat has liquified, it is better to let it drain since I am still also leaking serous fluid,  because otherwise it could cause an infection..  That is something I am hoping and praying I will avoid.  I really posted the information about this because I never heard of it happening and like I said, if it happened to me, it can happen to anyone.  My chief complaint in all of this is that my inciison hasbeen leaking for almost a month and there is no end in sight.  My doc says it is harmless (so far anyway) but it is disconcerting.

Wendy
Queen of the Icky Head Cl;ub
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tamara

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:53:11 am »
Wendy - You win, you ARE the queen.  It still sounds very icky, and a royal pain.  You are right, I needed to change my signature.  Mostly I'm doing very well.  I still have eye issues, but I can see clearly probably 70% of the time now, so that's a big improvement.  Still, I misread the brownie box last night because I wasn't seeing well and added 1 cup of water instead of 1/4 cup.  It still works, in case you are curious, just ends up like heavy cake.  :)

I colored my hair yesterday and went for a long bike ride last weekend, so other stuff is getting back to normal.

Hoping you dry out soon!
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:03:57 am »
Hi Tammy,

Congratulations on being able to color your hair -- that is something I am looking forward to since I have lots of gray and my roots are really growing out.  I won't be able to do that though until my darned incision stops leaking.  Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your vision and hope that passes soon.  Thanks for the info about yoru brownie mishap.  I'm sure I've done the same kind of thing and thrown it out.  Next time I'll bake it and see what happens - iti's a crime to waste good chocolate desserts!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:18 am »
Tammy,
I also meant to say you're riding your bike?!!!  That is fantastic and incredible  news!!!  I am so jealous of you, I have been very tempted to try, but my balance is bad enough that I'm afraid I would fall right off and crack my head open.  I guess I should get a helmet (I really hate them) before I try anything this daring. -- who ever thought bike riding would seem like a daring thing to do at my age, especially since I learned how to ride a two wheeler when I was six.

Happy riding!!
Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:55 am »
Wendy -

How about training wheels to go along with that helmet!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.