Author Topic: Pressure in the Ears  (Read 3497 times)

in2h2o

Pressure in the Ears
« on: March 02, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Today is my first visit to the forum.  I am 6 months post-op. Had a small 3mm AN removed Middle Fossa aproach. HEI did the Demo, Construction and Finish work  ;D.

I am recovering very well with no facial paralysis & very little balance issues-I am back to playing tennis..YIPPEE!! I am however having a very debilitating problem with near constant pressure in the ears-both ears. They seem to be accompanied with sinus pressure. I had a three month post-op MRI which revealed nothing. The HEI folks suggested I see an ENT. I then had a CT done which revealed normal sinus'. Tried sinus medicine however with no results. OTC remedies do not help.

I viewed a similar forum question but it was for a 7 year post-op reader.  I am extremely frustrated, now wishing I had not had it removed so early-I know that's dumb. The pressure is often unbearable. I have been bluntly told, "you may just have to live with it if it does not go away on it's own in a few months". Has anyone experienced the same?

thanks for listening,
Darren

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pressure in the Ears
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »
Darren,

First, welcome to the forum.  You've come to the right place for information from those that have been there.

Secondly, I can't say that I have first-hand experience like you descibe, but I tend to believe that it sounds similar to either an inner ear or nasal infection.  If you haven't already, see the ENT.  He should be able to tell you if it's in anyway sinus or ear related.  I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

As an aside, have you tried "popping" your ears?  Perhaps your pressure is off just a bit and you just need to relieve it very similar to having to do the same when in an airplane.

Btw, having surgery "so early" wasn't a mistake.  You made the best decision you could in the wake of some undaunting news.  Nobody would ever fault you for making that decision.  And, we certainly won't call ya dumb.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

in2h2o

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:10:56 am »
Brian, thanks for replying.
I did see an ENT and upon his advice I had the CT done. It revealed normal sinus'. Yes, I have tried popping my ears also-no change.

I sleep well and I feel the best when I wake up but shortly after the pressure comes. It seems to occurr when I start becoming active. With the pressure comes a reduction in hearing. I could understand if this only occurred on the side that had the tumor but it occurrs on both. Maybe it is a blood pressure issue..low pressure at rest, higher when moving around?? I dont know but it seems to be getter worse and not better the further I get from my operation date...

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:48:57 am »
Darren,

Odd set of circumstances, to be sure..  My first thought was elevated CSF pressure (I would get that also that usually accompanied a massive headache), but at 6 months post-op, I wouldn't expect that to be the case when it hasn't been so until now.

Given that diminished hearing comes along with the "pressure", I wonder it's not swelling-related somehow.  Logically, swelling would come with more movement and if swelling in the right (wrong) place it could cause hearing diminishment also.

Have you talked to your surgeons at HEI about this?  If it's swelling related then perhaps a dose of steroids is in order to help bring that down and finally stop..

If it's getting worse rather than better, then I would definitely contact HEI and get their opinion on it.  Specifically ask about the possibility of it being swelling-related and if a dose of steroids would help.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss...  I wish I could be of more help.

Let me know what you find out..

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

cin605

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
Is it pressure like your head feeling like it wieghs 3 tons??? ???If its that kind than i was told it was normal post op junk.I am almost
9 months out & my head feels that way to i am also having balance issues & head ach w/ the heavy head.Off to neaurologist
next week,hope to have more answers.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:13 pm »
Darren,
I have not experienced your symptoms and am very sorry to hear that you are going through this.  The only thing I can offer you is research, research, research !  Those of us in the AN community must bcome our own proactive advocates.  I know I drive my treatment team nuts but I am a very active participant in my treament.  I never take things at "face value" and try to dig to the bottom of any aspect of my symptoms or the suggested treatments.  If your current crew simply ignores the problem and tells you to learn to deal with it, I'd be looking for another crew.  Ultimately, that may be the only choice but there is simply no reason to accept it without doing everything you can to find a solution.  There are many excellent web sites that allow the public access to medical journals and other quality research type information.  So, read, study, research, and talk to your treatment team.  If they won't talk, find someone who will.  

Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:05:56 pm »
We even have our own flag!  :)

Regards,

Brian

in2h2o

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »
thanks all for some insightful comments..
I have discussed it with HEI and when seen by Dr. Brackmann at 4 months post-op he said that he had not encountered symptoms like mine before. He suggested the ENT. I never had this problem before surgery. I understand that the brain reacts to hearing loss by giving a pressure sensation but this is intense and in both ears. Does the common mild pressure diminish in time? Maybe mine is more acute and will eventually subside..One thing I can say is that you all are impressive in your perseverance thru your own personal issues post-op. I can learn much here..THANKS

in2h2o

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
cin05-yeah, my head does sorta feel heavy. that is a good way to describe it...have you been prescribed anything for it?

cin605

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:43:06 pm »
Naproxyn-a anti inflamatory/pain reliever its like aleive but stronger,I haven't seen any differnce though.Its there it comes after i get up in the mourning sometimes from the get go sometimes an hour later but lasts intill i lay my head back down..its kind of like a gravity thing.
43yrs old

in2h2o

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:01:13 pm »
cin-605, what you desribe is very much how I feel. I have used some strong dosages of Advil with no relief. Have not tried Aleive. I will see my doctor in a couple of weeks to discuss. Deep down I am hoping that it is still related to the overall trauma of surgery and in 6 months or so I will be much better. It is however hard to even go to work..

cin605

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:45:33 am »
yeh i hear you...haha...no seriously i have not returned to work ...i have some serious balance issues & do not really feel like laying on the floor anywhere anytime soon.I used to have cleaning bussinees i would vacume & mop at least 500 stairs a day i had two commercial accounts that were 5 floors up with l-o-n-g hallways in between.i walk down a hall now & it really screws w/ my senses.
hoping & praying all this will pass.doing vestub rehab eye exersices head movement.headachs suck.
43yrs old