Author Topic: eye closure and sleeping  (Read 2177 times)

monaliysa

eye closure and sleeping
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:05:50 pm »
HI my name is Mona Radlow and I am glad to finally get back here. I have trouble closing my left eye and I don't sleep. I wear a mask to keep the eye closed. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the eye closed. I am taking meds for sleep but they don't work. I am living at an adult living facility until my apartment is ready and I can go home.
Let me know if you have any suggestions..I would love to "hear" from you.
Mona Radlow
:-/  ;)

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: eye closure and sleeping
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:26:09 am »
Mona,
Welcome.  I use a special eye patch and cream for months after surgery.  At night I had a oily cream, and an eye patch with a clear plastic shell over the eye to keep the moisture in.  My daughter said I looked like Prof. Moody from the Harry Pooter film.  At about 4 months post OP I  was able to sleep nights without the patch but still used the cream until 6 months post OP.

Dan in Germany   
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

moe

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:35:33 am »
Hi Mona,
I cut a thin piece of paper tape, and gently tape the eye shut, then put the eye pillow on. I don't get too much irritation from the adhesive. You can also put some ointment in there (the preservative free lubrication stuff). That helps keep the eye closed too.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

calimama

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:40 pm »
Hi,

I also use paper tape at night. I understand some doctors poo-poo this idea as some people have done damage with getting tape on the eye... but i have been doing this for 8 months without real problems. I put in ointment first, not too much as if gets on the lashes, can make tape not stick. I think this option is good, if you are careful. I wear a private patch for naps.

Good luck!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

monaliysa

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:51:52 am »
HI...I wear a mask at night but I dont' seem to sleep too well anyway. I don't know what else to do. They give me sleep meds but they don't seem to work. Any other pointers that you can give me would be welcome.
Mona Radlow
:-/