Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 4239 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:04 pm »
so sad. after only 3 months of dealing with it.  Mine is so severe that sometimes going to sleep and not waking up to the noise sounds pretty good.  But there is so much to live for, suffering with the constant torture is better than not living.
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
I take an ativan to sleep most nights. It doesn't really put me to sleep but rather focuses me away from the noise. Thats the best way I can describe it. My tinnitus is horrible. I have gotten more used to it during the day
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Re: Tinnitus do you hear what I hear?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »
Has anyone had?
ringing...of course
hissing...yep
feedback...?
tap dancing in the rain?
talking like from a radio?  no I am not crazy
Just wondering how much I might be creating just to normalize this distraction.
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 07:43:33 am »
Hi again, Stephanie .....

No, you are definitely not crazy on hearing all of the variety of the annoying sounds of tinnitus.  I think the list would be very, very long if we all listed the sounds we have ever heard.

My tinnitus sounds very from day to day and from situation to situation.  Always loudest when there is any other ambient noise (fans, background music, etc.).  The ringing/hissing is always there, but the clanging triangles are my worst when they begin to chime.

Alas, I never had tinnitus before my first surgery ..... so in my case, surgery did not alleviate that issue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ChristineH

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »
Not to be disrespectful but please explain to us how this article is supposed to help us that suffer with tinnitus.
2.3cm x 1.9cm x 1.6cm, April 7, 2011 Retro Sig at Barrows in Phoenix, AZ. by Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter slight growth to 2.6cm -3.0cm day prior to surgery. SSD and balance isssues. 6 month MRI shows "enhanced area" : ( Will repeat again in 4 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 05:01:06 am »
Not to be disrespectful but please explain to us how this article is supposed to help us that suffer with tinnitus.

Christine,

IMO, it does not help us..... but, unfortunately, this tinnitus reality was too much for one to bear.  We have heard many stories here over the years re: tinnitus..... and have worked together, as a patient-to-patient forum, to come up with ways to help deal with it since there does not seem to be a proven/viable medical treatment option for tinnitus.

For me, it's a reminder that we do have each other here to lean on when the tinnitus can be overbearing.  There is a user on this forum, CaptDeb, who once shared with me/us re; her tinnitus sound of "crickets."  I giggled with her about it, never had hearing about the "crickets" before. My tinnitus is usually a high-pitched monotone sound.... and yet.... one day.... while sitting in my home, windows closed, daytime hours..... I heard the "crickets."  I could not pick up the phone and call her fast enought to say "OMG, Capt! I got them crickets!" :)

To me, this article is a harsh reality for some, but knowing that this forum gives us a safe-haven to rely on each other for comfort, ideas/suggestions and good ears and shoulders when needed, we can forge forward in a positive light to help get through it :)

I hope that helps!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:56:44 am »
I have heard that tinnitus does cause a wide variety of mental health issues. I suppose it is one of those things that affects each individual differently, just as our AN's have.  I know if my tinnitus was so bad that it keeps me up or I cannot concentrate on anything, then I would definitely be affected mentally by it. Such as it is now, there are days where it does wear on me.  I agree with you Phl, that this forum is a great sounding board for those who may be suffering greatly from this, but may feel alone in their struggles, and Keith's post is a good wake-up call for those who may be feeling desperate and may go seek help.  Just my .02 cents worth. :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kkweiher

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »
I have not posted in quite sometime......sometimes I feel the more I talk about it the more attention I allow it to have. :-[ :-[ :-[  My surgery has been over 4 years ago and I have tried to take my own life twice due to the unrelenting noise in my head.  Luckily I was not successful.  I have been on prozac(not good) lexapro, some drug that was suppose to help me sleep and xanax.  In the past 3 months I had decided it was just time for me to deal with my situation(the noise) without medication and I slowly winged myself off of everything...... Well, as I was making my 5 cup salad for Thanksgiving I started to once again start thinking of all the people I needed to say goodbye to.  NOT A GOOD SIGN..... I immediatly took my 1mg of xanax and all got better as far as my mood.  I am now back on the xanax 1 time of day, about an hour before I go to bed. And I am trying one of those sound machines with the soothing sounds.  My favorite so far is rain.  Last night for the first time I must have dozed off before the hour timer went off coz I did not even notice it going off.  This noise we deal with is mind blowing but I know we can all get through it.  Especially when we have a great place to vent and talk to people that truly understand what we are going through like the people on this forum.   I am trying to stay positive and hope everyone else with this crappy anoiance can do the same.  Love to all my fellow sufferers  ;) ;) ;) 
Kimbra
AN 1.6x2.5x2.0,removed by trans lab approach 3-16-07 by Dr. Michael McGee ENT and Donnie Horton Neurologist at Baptist hosp, Okc.  Took 10hrs.

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:47:34 pm »
I have had tinnitus for at least 33 years. Actually even longer when I first noticed it in the Army after a round of shooting. In the early days it used to go away but since 33 years ago has never subsided. I`ve tried everything mentioned here not to count a few more. My best attempt was Neoromonics which has helped me the most by putting the noise in a somewhat different state. W+W with a diognosed AN for about 5 years now (1cm "stable") I`ve accepted the facts and live a pretty normal life in the healthiest ways possible. I feel pretty good somewhat like my water cooler which hums all day, its a part of me. Hang in there and try to make the best of things....Best wishes, Mickey