Author Topic: How much does surgery cost?  (Read 4180 times)

bunny

How much does surgery cost?
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

I just told by my doctor that I have AN.  He suggests me to do a retrosigmoid surgery to remove my tumor.  Some of my friends suggest me to do this surgery at House with Dr. Schwartz.  Is he a good doctor on AN surgery? Since I may not have insurance to cover my cost.  Does anyone know about approx. how much would that cost, in terms of surgery plus hospital fee? 
Thanks

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
Re: How much does surgery cost?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:12:46 pm »
Hello Bunny,

Sorry to hear your diagnosis of AN, but welcome to the club.  I have no idea what the cost would be at a place like that, but I work in a hospital in Indiana, and a 5-day stay at the hospital, plus surgery costs, plus whatever the surgeon, assistant surgeon, and anesthesiologist charge, you could easily rack up a bill in the six figure range unfortunately.  Then again, depending on where you have it done, my guess could be far off.  Your surgeon should have a better idea, and the facility you're looking at probably has different options for payment, and those who don't have insurance.  Just ask, they should be able to tell ya ballpark range what you're looking at and you can go from there.  Sorry for the vague answer.  Good luck and read this forum...... lots of great info.  Just post new questions if need be....

Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:06 pm »
Hi Bunny and welcome.

I have to agree with Amy - you're looking at about a 6 figure bill.  Not only do you have to pay the surgeon, but the anaesthesiologist, the hospital fees, the pharmacy, any PT you may need afterwards.  It adds up quickly.   I have a feeling it would be that way anywhere in the country, but I would imagine CA is probably more expensive to begin with, since everything seems to be out there!

I hope you're able to find some insurance coverage or check with the state sponsored insurance programs to see what you can do.  This is certainly one thing no one should have to worry about on top of being diagnosed with an AN.  Maybe your doctor can help you out with some suggestions.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JulieW4

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »
Bunny,

You didn't state the size of your tumor, which can make a difference in the options you have for treatment.  Many times radiation is an option, but may not be that much cheaper than surgery.  The good thing about AN's is that there are usually slow growing so you have time to search your treatment options and hopefully get insurance.

This place is a great place for info and support.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:14 pm »
Hi, Bunny:

I'm sorry about your AN diagnosis but at least you've found a solid base of support here.  Welcome.  :)

AN surgery will definitely cost over $100,000. The exact cost will be determined by the doctor(s) and facility you ultimately choose.  If you contact the House Ear Institute, I'm sure they'll provide you with a credible estimate.  Health insurance generally will pay the bulk of the cost for AN surgery but without it, you'll be liable for the entire expense.  I know that could certainly be problematic so you may want to seek a source of 'funding'.  What that source might be I'll leave up to you with my hope and prayer that you can have the surgery and that it will be completely successful with a good recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:26:28 am »
i went to house for my operation, and i had translab.  The total cost came to about $85,000 and that will depend on your length of hospital stay, complications, type/length of surgery etc etc. 

Anyway, when i was there Dr Schwartz was the only neurosurgeon at House - he usually work with other surgeons as a team on AN surgeries - he will be the one who will peeling and debulking the tumor off the nerves in your ear and brain.  My main surgeon was Dr Brackmann. Both of them are excellent. 

As Jim mentioned, contact them anyway and they can give you an estimate - plus if you send your MRI to them, they can even give you a FREE phone consultation!

Hope this helps and good luck in your search -  ;)
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan