Author Topic: VERY itchy incision  (Read 3644 times)

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
VERY itchy incision
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
Ok, I know this isn't that big of a deal, but my incision is itching.....BADLY.  Is there anything I can put on it?  Did anyone else experience this?  It's probably just part of the healing process, but it's making me crazy.  Thanks :)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Mama R

Re: VERY itchy incision
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
Mine itches now and it has been 9 weeks!! It didn't start unitil 1 -2 weeks ago but I suspect that is only because that
area has been numb. I've always thought itching was a sign of healing and a good thing. I use polysporin - not neosporin as
you don't want anything with antibiotic (per doc). It seems to calm down the itching as well as keeps it from getting too dried out & crusty.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:48:40 pm »
Thanks! :)
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:16:51 am »
I didn't experience itching with my AN surgery, but the itching with my BAHA surgery just about drove me CRAZY !!!

It's probably a combination of things - healing, nerve endings regenerating, and skin dryness.

Bacitracin or polysporin might help.  If all else fails, there is always benadryl - if you can afford the tiredness that sometimes comes with it.

Hang in there.  I know how aggravating this can be  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:43:18 am »
Hi Nicole-

I am also having some itchiness now, although some of mine may be the hair growing back (I have a lovely stubble back there now!) 

I would suggest a call to your surgeon to see what he recommends for the itching.  Having just gone through a second hospitalization for infection, I am of the theory that you really can't be too careful!   :D  You just want to be careful that you don't introduce anything to the site that might promote infection (no, you don't want to join those of us in the PICC line club...)

Keep us posted on your recovery - sounds like you are doing great!

Debbi - itching in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:33:20 am »
Nicole -

Debbi is right.  I forgot to say that your hair growing back will also cause your head to itch.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:58:18 am »
I had the itchiness too!  Made me crazy - especially since I could feel it itch, but due to the numbness, I couldn't feel myself scratch!   >:(

It helped to have my 4 year old saying "Mommy - stop scratching!" every time she saw me put my hand by my head.  I've offered to rent her out before - she's available if you need her!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:08 am »
My doc recommended Neosporin and I found it helped the itchiness alot.  Mine is almost three years and it still itches on occassion and it is the only feeling I have on that side of my head!  I can't take benedryl or other things with antihisteimenes (sp) in them so I was happy to have the Neo!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

kimberly

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:07 am »
Hi Nicole!

I too have the itchies!  Drives me nuts mostly in the evenings.  I agree that its a combination of hair regrowth (my legs itch like crazy if i am lazy about shaving) and healing.  The top part of my incision is covered in little scabs, which probably is where a lot of the itching comes from.  Another issue that I've noticed is in the evenings (or if I do a lot of physical activity)  the lower part of my head by the ear gets this swelling poofiness to it , not sure what that is about but if I rest it goes down. 

Keep smiling and DONT SCRATCH!

Kimberly :)

Melissa778

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:32:28 am »
I too am getting the itchies.....not too badly though,  I am still incredibly numb.  I do get the lower head near my ear "poofiness" at night......I wondered what that was all about.  I attribute it ot some normal swelling and healing.  I go to the doc Monday and it is on my list of questions to ask....as well as CAN I DRIVE NOW PLEASE!!.....I'm getting stir crazy already after only 2 weeks.  I'm considering heading back to work next week part time if the doc will allow it.  I'm ready to get back into my life.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:04:56 am »
I used a very soft brush to stroke my scalp and incision each morning.  I think this helped to loosen the flakey skin cells that were being thrown off the area.  Take care, rinse your comb or brush clean often.  "Keep your fingenails off it", as your Mom would say.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06:28 pm »
And as someone who got the dreaded post surgical infection - just BE CAREFUL and clean, clean, clean!  As several here will attest, you really don't want to be part of the PICC Line Brigade (as much fun as it looks!) 

My hair has grown about 1/4 inch around the incision and the itching seems to be less now.  I find that by gently rubbing the area around the outer edge of the incision (maybe an inch above it) it helps to alleviate the itching - or maybe it just distracts me... :P

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com