Author Topic: Very Important...  (Read 3634 times)

Pembo

Re: Very Important...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 10:47:30 am »
Vicki, I'm glad you are gathering more information and getting another consult. I just have to defend Dr Megerian though. He was VERY thourough when I had my surgery and explained every possible outcome. I'm very surprised to read that he never mentioned that transear would cause his hearing loss.

I'm not sure if you took anyone with you to your appointments but I highly suggest that you do. After we left the office I was amazed at what my husband heard the doctors say that I did not.  It is important to have that other person there to hear what the docs say. I know for me I zoned out after they said I would be in the hospital 3-5 days. I really didn't hear much after that.

Good luck to you and I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Dr. Megerian and his staff. I have always found him to be very professional and his personal secretary and nurses to be exemplary.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Melissa778

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:02:29 am »
Vicki,

So sorry about your run around.  I myself saw Dr. Lee at Cleveland Clinic and was very UN-impressed.  I very much wanted to see Pensak and Theodosopoulos in Cincinnati (University Medical Center) as I had heard wonderful things about them, but my health insurance would not allow me to go to Cincinnati to see anyone there.  Check with oHIo and OhioAlso, they both recently had surgery at Univ Med Center in Cincinnati and to my knowledge had positive outcomes.  I myself did not contact Megerian's office.   I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Brad Welling in Columbus.  I am seeing Dr. Kartush in the Detroit, MI area as I am from Toledo.....He's one of the best and I am so glad I made the decision to go with him.  Best of luck in your search for the right Dr.  I know how frustrating it can be as I was shuffled all over myself.  apparently they dont' see many AN's in my neck of the woods and my doc didnt' knwo who or where to send me.  I did all my own leg work and told her who to get the referrals for.....As the saying goes..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease"....keep pushing for what you want and I hope you have better luck.  You're in my prayers....

Melissa....3days and counting....I'm going to lose my mind before then!
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 01:53:44 pm »
Vicki:

Our own Kate B recently offered a very useful post with links that you can use to learn a lot more - and for questions to ask your surgeon.

Here's a link to that post.  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5871.0

I hope it helps bring you closer to the knowledge you need to make an informed decision that you can be confident is the best one for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:59:56 pm »
Vicki --

You should avoid the neurologist and go see an ENT or a Neurotologist.  They usually have a certain neurosurgeon that they work with if necessary.  You should take the time to research all of the options, since they apparently weren't told to you by the first doctor!  It's nice to have options.  Some doctors only tell you about the particular type of surgery that they prefer to do and that can lead you to believe that that's the only choice you have.

If you're lucky, you'll find all your information in one doctor, but if not, interview as many as necessary until you feel comfortable.

Good luck!  And by the way, I must say 1967 was a very good year....

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.