Author Topic: vestibular therapy  (Read 5158 times)

satman

vestibular therapy
« on: July 10, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
while i'm not new to the AN thing,i am new to vestibular therapy,WOW!
so has this happened to any of my Compadres, i kept asking
myself today at P.T.(physical therapy).i had a new therapist today and she
pulled out some que cards with letters on them.my eyes and head were supposed to follow
them as she moved them.all of a sudden i started to feel sick,and sweated like you wouldnt believe,associated
with the "normal dizziness".it seems like everyday it's something new,I just wish the ride would end!
is this a common thing with vestibular therapy,or is something else wrong now?i guess i could'nt find the venting section,ha,ah.. 
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jeanlea

Re: vestibular therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:57:40 pm »
Hi Satman,

I had something similar happen to me my first time at vestibular therapy.  He was testing me by putting this thing on my head, told me to move my head left to right and back again and tell him which way the E was pointing.  Most of the time I couldn't even see the E.  Before I knew it I was passing out!  The next time I went to therapy I was at least able to complete the test.  It does get better.  Does your therapist have the "box"?  I would get strapped in and then he would move the box various directions while I tried to stay upright.  Doing it with my eye closed was the hardest.  Good luck with your therpy.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

satman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09:20 pm »
i  havent been in the box yet,now i have something to look forward to.ha,ha
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Ellenmn

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:33:11 pm »
I go for my first visit to the therapist tomorrow afternoon. Boy it sure sounds like fun to me ::)

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 09:39:30 pm »
Did anyone get to bounce up and down on a big exercise ball?  That was fun until he said to do it with my eyes closed!  lol  I did like the ball though.  I bought one to use as my chair in the classroom.  Students liked it to.  Really good for daily balance practice. 

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:51 am »
My insurance won't pay for PT >:(

But my surgeon has a whole set up for start to finish treatment and I am going to go
once a month to sneak sessions as soon as more healing is done and bill them as office visits...
then work at home and go back to check progress with PT and get exercises adjusted to my needs
only 10 days post op... my facial nerve seems fine ...but sometimes my right eye doesn't open as
fast as left... he did give me a list of exercises to do at home as soon as able ... and the
therapist told me before surgery to get a ball to exercise and balance on... I sat on it the
other day and almost vomited... I had actually been sitting on it at desk before surgery

First session is the 17th...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:23:01 am »
THis is the exercise sheet I was given to read over before surgery

Home Based Vestibular Rehabilitation Program
 Perform the following exercises 2 times per day, 6-7 days per week.
Perform IN AN OPEN AREA where you cannot fall against anything if a fall occurs.
Perform the exercises WITH A PARTNER.
If any of the exercises cause PAIN, then stop and call us so that we may modify the program.

Sitting, turn your head quickly from right to left 5 times. Wait for your symptoms to subside. Repeat 3 times. Then repeat with eyes closed.

Sitting, alternate looking up at the ceiling and down at the floor quickly 5 times. Wait for your symptoms to subside. Repeat 3 times. Then repeat with eyes closed.

Lie on your back with your head turned to the left and your eyes closed. Now, quickly sit upright. When symptoms arise open your eyes and wait for the symptom to subside. Repeat 3 times.

Sit in a chair and stare at a small object in front of you. Slowly begin to rotate your head left and right while you continue to stare at the object. Increase the speed of your head movements as you turn your head back and forth 10 times. Relax and repeat again. Now repeat again, only this time tilt your head up and down rather than turning it left and right.

Walk across the room with your eyes open. Repeat the walk with your eyes closed.

Walk across the room with your head tilted up and eyes open and then with your head down and eyes closed.

Walk on pillows or a thick carpet first with your eyes open and then closed.

Walk on pillows or a thick carpet with your head tilted up.

Now, stand with eyes closed and stand as still and steady as you can; then with eyes open; and then with head tilted down and eyes closed.

Remember that it is important to engage in a regular exercise program 5 days per week (example, walking for 20 minutes). It is important to keep your head in motion. If your exercise does not involve head motion, move your head as if you were "window shopping". You need to stay active while avoiding the pitfalls of over activity (remember that fatigue and stress make your symptoms worse).
Translab July 2 ,2007

Rc Moser

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 05:26:14 pm »
There kidding right, I could never do that. I would fall flat on my face and if I didn't instant migraine! No quick head movements anytime for me with  or without my eyes closed and walking on pillows wouldn't be fun either.  I can be watching TV on low of course and move my head a certain way (not quick) and I start getting a sick feeling and head pain. Do doctor's consider a vestibular condition a disability??? I find that unless you have any physical damage (like body limbs missing) it's hard to convince them you have problems if your is reasonable good shape.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

matti

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:16:03 pm »
Satman - the same thing happened to me on my first few days of Vestibular therapy. I started mine last year at 8 years post op. I'm bad about practicing my exercises :(

The box or as some like to call it "the phone booth from hell" is an interesting experience, reminded me of a carnival ride, I actually enjoyed it.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Windsong

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:54:22 pm »
http://www.emedicine.com/ent/topic668.htm

hope this helps Anne Marie.... it explains this type of radiation treatment.... glad to hear you have an mri lined up too along with your appt!! do you have  a date yet?

all the best,
windsong

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:27:49 am »
Thanks Windsong,
That article has cleared up a lot for me.  The more I think about it, the more I leaning towards FSR if I'm a candiate.  I'm anxiously waiting for the appointment with Dr Rutka.  The other Dr is setting up the MRI. 
WOW, I was reading about the cost in the US for the MRI and surgery and I have to say I'm grateful to live in Canada.  Such costs can bankrupt a family.  How do people manage if they do not have private insurance?
I will keep you posted.  Actually how for away do you live from me?  I'm just off of Hwy 20 and Queenston Rd in Hamilton?  It would be nice to meet up face to face.
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Windsong

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »
HI Anne Marie,
I'm in Erin Mills... it would be nice to meet face to face.... if I'm too far we can always meet in oakville or burlington.... coffee or late lunch?....(i'm not a morning person lol)....
If you are interested in fsr check out The Pencer brain Tumour Centre at PMH....they have a web site....
Also, I am in touch with a woman out of province who had fsr  and we met last summer in To. She'll be visiting again this summer. She might be a good person to talk to...

best wishes,
windsong

Soundy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 06:34:59 pm »
There kidding right, I could never do that. I would fall flat on my face and if I didn't instant migraine! No quick head movements anytime for me with  or without my eyes closed and walking on pillows wouldn't be fun either.  I can be watching TV on low of course and move my head a certain way (not quick) and I start getting a sick feeling and head pain. Do doctor's consider a vestibular condition a disability??? I find that unless you have any physical damage (like body limbs missing) it's hard to convince them you have problems if your is reasonable good shape.

Right now if I look down and back up I almost vomit...other quick head movements bring on a mallet
to the head feeling... I sit down in the shower because if I am standing and close my eyes to rinse hair
I fall backwards...I also get nauseated watching TV if the screen images are moving to quick... NASCAR
races are out... my kids love to watch... good thing I am not a big fan or I would be in trouble... riding in
the car I have to shut eyes because it makes me feel like I am spinning ( so for now driving is out ) ... I
am only 13 days post surgery but don't see any of the therapy happening in near future... for now I am
sticking to just walking thru my house holding walls as necesary...

I did walk to my mailbox yesterday with my little girl ... it is about 500 feet away... going down was not
too bad... it is a gravel drive with gentle slope down to the road and box... coming back I got shaky and
dizzy and could not tell where my feet were going... had to use her as a walker.. had a hand on each shoulder...
I tried to get her to leave me leaning on a tree and go get my husband to rescue me but she was scared to
leave me alone...after wards I had a killer headache that required the bigger pain killers and was sick until about
3 this morning... the doctor and therapist had told me walking outside would be a good start... but in the sticks
( we live on a farm) where there are no sidewalks I am limited... we own 200+ acres that I normally traipse all
over with the kids ...hope it doesn't become a thing of the past :'( ... so for now I am limiting myself to walking
in the house , on porch and right in the yard

Gotta keep telling myself baby steps
Translab July 2 ,2007

tsl

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 08:33:03 am »
This question is coming from someone who couldn't finish a balance test (VNG/ENG --I think) to determine if my balance and to what degree has been affected by my AN.  I just got so sick.

With vestibular therapy, do they give you anything if you become nauseaus?  Or, do you have to tough it out?  I'm getting queasy just thinking about it.

Thanks,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Jeanlea

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:32:48 pm »
Hi Soundy,

I also live out in the country and have no sidewalks to walk on.  I came home 9 days after surgery. I was given a belt during my short rehab time in the hospital.  My husband used this to hold on to me in case I started falling while I was walking in those early days.  I also had a cane to help me feel more secure.  Even my 12 year old son would take me for a walk when he got home from school.  I started out with short distances and slowly worked up to walking more and more.  By two months after surgery I was out with my girlfriends for a camping weekend with lots of long walks.  I walked about five miles one day.  No more cane or belt either.  It does get better with time.  It helps to keep pushing yourself if you can.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD