Author Topic: vertigo attack while traveling  (Read 7896 times)

ewhitese

vertigo attack while traveling
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:55:40 am »
I just returned from a long distance trip from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas.  I was on my way to visit relatives in Lake Havasu City AZ, we left home at 2 am to make a 5:30 am flight from Pittsburgh to Vegas.  I parked the car in the long term lot and headed for the shuttle bus when I noticed I was unusually dizzy.  This has not happened to me since February March 4 to 6 months post GK surgery I had been fairly stable post vestibular rehab and have not had balance issues for several months.  I began this trip apprehensive not knowing how my AN would react to air travel.  I didn't make it to the terminal before I started having issues.  I made it inside went through security screening and to the gate I was extremely dizzy by this time, bodies moving at me and away from me, sounds of the airport echoed in my head I could barely understand my wife's conversation.  We got a breakfast sandwich by this time nausea was bad enough I couldn't eat it.  I debated whether I should try to get on the plane or not.  I pushed through and got in the plane closed my eyes and held my cookies.  Once landed in Vegas Vertigo got worse I blame a lot of it on the sea of people walking around me moving at me moving away everything moving.  I spent first 3 days in a hotel room vomiting and spinning out of control.  I asked my wife to call an ambulance and take me to the ER, as she was calling getting advice I fell asleep and she let me sleep.  By morning my stomach and balance settled so after day 3 resumed the trip to Arizona, with balance and nausea but manageable.  I returned with balance issues but no nausea, made it home but am on day 8 of vertigo.  I think the anxiety of flying, the air pressure, desert heat and low humidity all effected me.  This was my first attempt at dealing with crowds and city travel since GK surgery, needless to say that didn't go well.  I could not hear because of over whelming noises, speech was next to impossible to understand.  I have never experienced anything like it.

I have debated with myself and the laptop searching for evidence of causes etc not coming up with any really good qualifying evidence of a connection to my AN.  I am wondering if anyone has experienced a sudden attack like that and connected it to the AN.  I am reading about crystals in the inner ear and debating if air pressure changes did something but that doesn't explain the balance onset prior to boarding the plane.  I will schedule an office visit with my ENT to discuss options for vertigo treatment after the holiday is over.  What a whiled ride, getting back in the plane at this point is going to be a tough sell.

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
Re: vertigo attack while traveling
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »
I had my AN removed, so my results will be different. I have have taken 5 different trios via air with one from Minneapolis to Germany.  None of thosevtrips triggered anything, but made very tired. With my more recent issues I am afraid to try air travel.  You story is my fear now and I have been avoiding a trip to China until I feel better.

I pray the ENT can find a simole nin AN cause, thatcway you can travel again.
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

ewhitese

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:23:34 am »
I should add to my story that my return flight was uneventful.  I am returned home now for several days and other than the balance issue and fatigue I did not have a nausea attack as I did after the first flight.  The vertigo seems to be random I can't really put my finger on an event that says this is the cause.  The balance issues I am experiencing post return flight are no where near debilitating as the trip out.  It has not stopped me from attending 4th of July activities, just slowed me down and made me pay attention.  I have had lots of well meaning advice from family members with (similar) experiences wearing earplugs, using antihistamines prior to flight, eat lots of bread before flying, one that I am going to follow is get back into doing my vestibular rehab exercises that I learned in my first sessions.  I don't think this will stop me from flying again, it will make me pay attention to details before I go and take steps to prepare myself before I leave.  I am not anxious to get back in the plane for a while though.  The next trip is going to have to be a really cool destination to make me want to get back on the horse sort of speak.  Better to be proactive than reactive.  I was caught off guard because I had 2 months of symptom free no issues prior to flying, I had begun to believe the vestibular side effects of my AN were subsiding and I was returning to normalcy.  I know that our AN situation is unique to each of us and none of us react exactly the same  but it would be nice to know if there is some commonality among us and what steps others have  taken in their unique situation.  I have gleaned volumes of information from this forum from those who precede me in their experience, thanks to all who have the foresight to  share experiences here.  These pages contain road signs for the rest of us as we travel the road to AN recovery.

carjon0

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:45:59 pm »
What an interesting post, ewhitese.

I had GK sept '12, with very slowly improving balance issues and a cros hearing aid to help with directional sound difficulty because of severe/profound hearing loss on the left side.
In the past week, I have had two separate days of dizziness and nausea, along with having to brace myself in a chair because it felt as if I would fall out of it to the right.
I had no idea why this has returned, after months free from it, but your post may shed light on it.
I flew 10 days ago, a return 3hour trip, to Spain, which is much hotter than home.
I wonder if this is a delayed reaction?? I'm also back to being tired, in the "dead in a chair for a couple of hours" snooze, rather than the usual meaning of "tired". I flew in February too - a shorter journey and to a similar climate to home, but while I was tired, there were no huge balance problems.
I've been working with balance physios, who have said that damage has been done and as long as I keep up the exercises and I'm doing "usual things" in "usual places", and don't have a bug, I should be ok. Otherwise, not - my balance will go.
Maybe, as you suggest, it's a combination of various factors.
I do hope this was a blip for you and your next trip is easier.

Echo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
Ewhitese and carjon0, I find both your posts to be really interesting.  My Gamma Knife was Sept. 2013 and while I'm doing just great most of the time, I do have some ongoing balance issues and I continue to tire easily.  Vertigo has never been an issue but "wonky head" sure has. 

I personally find stress and being over tired not a good combination, it always increases my symptoms. If you are travelling, perhaps tired, and anxious about travelling, then maybe the combined stress is triggering some of the symptoms your are both experiencing.  I've also found changes in barometric pressure cause my symptoms to increase or change.   One last note - my neurosurgeon has stressed that our AN's can swell, shrink and swell again up to 24 months post treatment before finally dying off.  Any swelling can have the potential to cause problems so don't rule out this possibility if you are still within your first 24 months post treatment.

Carjon0, I had to laugh at your "dead in the chair" reference to snoozing.  I can completely relate to that symptom.  I take daily 15 minute rests at lunch through the week.  Weekends I get busy running around and I don't always stop to rest.  If I over do it, then I still have those "dead in the chair" moments.  It truly is an overwhelming exhaustion that you just can't ignore.  Hopefully as I head into year two post treatment those moments will become fewer.

Cathie.

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

ewhitese

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:13 am »
Dead in the chair, good description I have been weak in the knees too, not just tired but like Cathie said overwhelming exhaustion just a couple hours kneeling picking weeds in the garden did me in yesterday.  I am used to hard work I farmed 300 acres on my time off from paycheck work until 2004, picking weeds in the garden would have been a job in between jobs, a break from the real work just a few years ago.   I was good and getting stronger until the infamous trip to the desert.  Now I can't shake the wonky head my eyes don't focus I still have eye movement form vertigo, nothing like the spell in Vegas but it is still there and stumbling gate as I walk.  I have been concerned enough to have my wife drive these past two days. 

I too am a walking barometer I am especially effected by high pressure systems.  But the transition from high to low, low to high get me the most.  I have had the weather issue since four months post GK surgery.  I retired June 6th because I was close enough to get a reasonable retirement and I knew as from the past six months I was going to have a high sick day rate.  It made sense to eliminate that stress for me and my employer deserved better than I could perform at the time.  I may go back to work after things settle down but right now I think hanging out at the house doing the chores I have put off for years is going to be enough for now.  I can put down my hammer and nails sort of speak and crash on the lazy boy when I need to.

It is all about paying attention finding out what brings on what, what settles symptoms and start a new pattern to the daily routine.  I haven't figured it out yet but am closer than I was.  One thing that is helping me now, I purchased and installed a hot tub on the back deck in April.  I notice the days I end with a hot tub massage I sleep better wake up better.  It might all be psychological, but the brain is close the AN location isn't it?  I also have pretty intense tinnitus since returning from the trip, I am wondering if my ear drums have not equalized yet, not experiencing ear pain or anything just tinnitus is pretty loud.  I'm ending here because I am in the lazy boy right now, my eyelids are getting real heavy so I'm going to put my feet up and pretend I am watching the golf channel see ya.

Hokiegal

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:56:35 pm »
I had surgery almost three years ago, and recently flew for the first time.  I, too, was apprehensive, and while I did not experience vertigo or nausea as you describe it, I found the hustle and bustle of the airports to be almost overwhelming, starting with the first flight from our small local airport.  Going through security, I was hit with a bout of the "stupids" -- meaning I couldn't figure out how to remove my laptop from the case, couldn't keep track of my boarding pass and passport -- I just totally blanked mentally.  This sometimes happens when I am very tired, but I was well-rested on that day.  I attributed it to nerves about the upcoming trip, and somehow made it through security without losing anything or being asked to take a breathalyzer (or worse).  I was okay on the flights themselves, could even walk the aisles with ease, but my vestibular went nuts on deplaning -- all three flights.  My sense of depth perception abandoned me, tunnel vision set in, and I found it difficult to navigate the jetways.  Once I got into the airports and could walk around, my symptoms seemed to calm down.  It was very strange.  The worst part happened on the return flight into Atlanta, clearing customs and immigration.  Once again, I got the stupids -- blindly followed the herd until I was at the front of the line, had no idea what to do, asked a few fellow passengers for help (they were lost too, so maybe it wasn't the AN after all), and finally decided to just stand there and wait until either the entire line cleared out, or my husband figured out I was missing and came looking for me (not really joking here).  Sure enough, an airport employee came up and started speaking to me -- in my deaf ear.  Over the din, I just pointed to the deaf ear and mouthed "Hearing impaired!  Please speak in other ear."  She pretty much took me by the hand at that point and walked me through to the immigration officer.  It was unnerving.  I couldn't tell my boarding pass from my immigration form -- just handed everything to the guy.  Same thing at security -- fellow passengers helped me through (oh, the kindness of strangers!).  By that time I was staggering under the weight of my laptop, and when they called for early boarding for the final flight, I wobbled on past all the first class passengers to the front of the line to the Delta agent, who then ran down the jetway ahead of me yelling "Let her on NOW!"  I will say that I had been up and traveling about 20 hours at that point, after an intense two-week stay (for work), and I think the combination of fatigue and sensory overload was just too much for my system.  The tinnitus was just off the charts.  I should also mention that I have chronic sinusitis and was taking prednisone, but I would think that would help with balance.  All in all, a strange and unnerving experience.
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

ewhitese

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
Wow Hokiegal, your description of airport travel is very similar to mine.  I had trouble with the movement of the masses coming at me going away from me.  The movement of people made the whole airport concourse swim.  Tunnel vision not able to focus on anything trouble reading the arrival departure board.  Trying to stay verticle and walk a straight line were a struggle.  Overwhelming booming
sounds.  I couldn't understand the intercom announcements or my wife's conversation.  I just went with the flow and let my wife lead me around.  I do admit my priority goal was to keep from spewing on the floor.

I too have a chronic sinus condition for which I had sinus surgery June 2013.  I was to see the ENT for routine follow up visit a week before flying and he suggested I go back on an antibiotic because I still have some inflammation in one side, use a nebulizer and requested to stay off the antibiotic, I have had so much in the past two years.  Hmmmmm another possible trigger. Every time I look at what could be the cause of the vertigo a million possibilities come up.  I just can't put my finger on a specific cause.

Ned

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »
Eleven years post radiation and can sure identify with the problems, although they have been subdued the past 6 months. Crowds have been overwhelming, church, crowded restaurants, theaters and concerts can be overwhelming. Walking on uneven ground, gravel, plowed fields etc bring balance issues.  Stress and lack of sleep are the main things I have defined that increase problems. I have found the medical community very sympathetic but not very helpful.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm