Author Topic: Veteran's Benefits for Treatment of AN?  (Read 4274 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Veteran's Benefits for Treatment of AN?
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:29:01 pm »
I'm doing some research for my AN removal that I hope will happen Feb/Mar and need some help from any Veterans with an AN. I have really good coverage from my HMO (Kaiser Permanente), but they most likely will not let me go to HEI for treatment on their dime. I have a 30% disability through the VA right now and am going to see them this week. From what I'm told, they will do the surgery because of my status. So I'm trying to find out if anyone on this forum is a Veteran who received treatment by the VA. My hope is that they will approve the surgery and out source it through HEI. Of course, that is wishful thinking, but I'm going to give it a try.

Hope to hear from someone regarding this issue.

Thanks

Dave
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

Jackie

Re: Veteran's Benefits for Treatment of AN?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
Dave,

Welcome to the forum, and what state do you reside???

Also a Kaiser P. member,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Paul F

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:51:55 pm »
Dave,
Make an appointment with the VA and discuss this with them.  It really depends on what your local VA can do in house and which outside sources they contract with.  I don't think you'll have much luck trying to do this research with a phone call so, do it in person.  That's what my experience has been with them in the Portland, OR area.
Paul

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:14:17 am »
Good morning fellow Vet!  Yes, I do know of someone who had their AN removed by the VA.  I sent Rick a Face Book email and asked him to swing by here for a comment.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:02 am »
Both my neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist at MCV in Richmond, VA are also staff at the VA hospital. my neurosurgeon is the chief of neurosurgery and I recommend both highly.

- Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Rick Everingham

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:54 pm »
I had my AN removed by the VA at the McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA in July 2003.  As stated by another poster, the doctors came from the Medical College of Virgina (MCV) and were excellent and the VA has been excellent to me also.  The lead surgeon who was head of the Otolaryngology department has since retired and the head intern is now in private practice in Richdmond, VA.  I too am 30% service connected disabled and it didn't cost me a nickel. 
1.5x1x1.2cm AN surgically removed by Tans Lab Jul 30, 2003, McGuire VA Hospital in Richmond, VA.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »
Hi Dave!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
Wow! Thanks all those of you who responded. I'm still working a few different angles here with my insurance, VA, and the House Clinic. This is quite an experience on many levels, so I'm still learning here. I'm wondering if anyone has written a book on living with AN. I'd buy a copy today. It's a good thing we all have become advocates for each other. This site is a good thing.

While I haven't made up my mind just yet, I'm leaning more towards the House Clinic. I talked to Dr. Friedman last week and he wants to do the surgery. He also informed me that they have an agreement with Kaiser to do the surgery at a Kaiser facility. I would only be responsible for the surgical team's fee. The rest would be covered by Kaiser. The problem I'm finding out with the VA is that it takes forever to get anything done. I'm sure some of you Vets can agree with this. When I went to the VA last week, I still had not been assigned a family doctor. Therefore, I was still on a waiting list. He couldn't get me in for an appointment until March.  I was kind of hoping to be surfing in Hawaii around that time as part of my post op PT.

I know...wishful thinking. Well I at least wanted to have my surgery done by then. So anyway, thanks again for posting.

Dave Cruz, Former
USAF Pararescue

Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea