Author Topic: Balance Board?  (Read 15122 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Balance Board?
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:39:52 pm »
Last week I went to my follow up AN surgery assigned doctor back home in my state (ie not where I had surgery) and I asked him if there was any physio-therapy I could do that would help me to maximize my balance recovery and he said there was really nothing beyond “walking� and I probably will never make it back to my pre-surgery abilities.

HMMMPHHH…. :-\

My physiotherapy friends suggest I go to a vestibular clinic.

Today I met with my own PCP (a DO ) and he was thinking there IS more I could do to maximize balance rehabilitation  8)

He suggests I try a “balance board� (He uses this for his back injury patients- within his clinic)

Has any one tried one of these. If yes - was it helpful?

http://www.amazon.com/Carrom-Balance-Board/dp/B00003G1U0

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jerseygirl

Re: Balance Board?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:59:56 pm »

I tried one at vestibular rehab and got one for home at a local sports store. It is wonderful! I also got the cheapest exercise ball I could find and I do both every day. I also do Yoga and Pilates DVDs which all help. It IS possible to have a good balance regardless of what your doctor says but you have to be very regimented with exercise and very consistent. It does work over time if you do it but rememember to start small and take baby steps forward!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

tony

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:29:33 am »
Sorry the first guy was a -----
Basically ANY balance type exercise
Yoga/dance/ballet/Tai Che/Golf/Gym etc etc (pick your favourite)
that you do often will
initally, tire you - but then improve your corrected balance over time,
might take a year - but 99% of the "old" you IS possible
in daylight and flat ground
nightime and cross country - not so easy, maybe.
Its an ongoing improvement thing
anyone tells you otherwise really has only limited experiance
of the wonderful way the brain/body corrects
Best of fortune in your recovery
any questions please ask
Best Regards
Tony

tony

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:46:13 am »
Oh and a 1,000 pardons
- I meant the Doc wasnt quite with it !
no offence meant to eve
bit too early in the morning for me...
Sorry Eve
yours in sorrow...
Tony

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:16:31 am »
Tony,

I took no offense as I understood that the first DOC is not quite right! I 100% agree with you that if you do anything at all, the body corrects itself and whoever does not understand it, has limited experience. I am with you to encourage!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:12:53 pm »
I agree with you Tony. 

4, the balance boards are great.  We used things like that in PT all the time with anyone with balance issues.  The ball also works.  Anything that challenges your balance will help your body learn to compensate for what's missing.  We've used exercises like playing catch with a ball, walking up and down hills, walking sideways up and down hills (have someone with you to hold on to just in case), putting the couch cushions on the floor and walking across them, standing on pillows.. anything that isn't quite flat or firm will work - just be safe when you do it.

If you are able to take longs walks outside, I'm sure that's helping too.  You might not get back to pre-surgery good, but you can get darn close most of the time.

Some doctors like to think they have all the answers, but check with the nurses and PT's - that's who really knows what's going on!   ;)  No offense to any doctors out there!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:04:03 pm »
I found another great form of vestibular therapy!  Last night I had to take my 5 year old to a birthday party at a place called Pump it Up.  It's a big indoor playground of all those inflatable slides and bouncy things.

Well the 5 year old was fine on those things by herself, unfortunately, i had the 20 month old with me who wanted at them, so I had to take her on.  What great therapy to try to climb up an inflatable ladder in socks, holding onto a baby, while 15 five year olds are at the top jumping up and down, shaking the whole thing.  Talk about your head spinning!!

I thought  wow, they should have vestibular therapy here - it's only about $5 for 2 hours or something - much cheaper than a co-pay and if you fall, you can't really get hurt because there are mats all over.  I mentioned my ingenious idea to my PT today and she knows the lady who owns the place - she's a PT also.  I think she's missing out - maybe she could have an "AN Day" once a month or something.  That would be fun therapy!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:18:28 am »
RE

I think she's missing out - maybe she could have an "AN Day" once a month or something.  That would be fun therapy!
Let me know when that happens- I'm in!

Seriously you should suggest they set one of these up at the next symposium- in the foyer of the conference center! What a hoot it would be. :D

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:09:52 pm »
Yes the balance board will help. So will one of those half balance balls I think it is for pilates. I did a trampoline at therapy that helped too.

Lori do you think if you don't challenge yourself daily you start to lose your ability?

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:28:14 pm »
The balance board would be great.  I had vestibular therapy for two months after my surgery.  I learned the term VOR.  Vestibular Occular Reflex.  :-)  If I remember correctly, I used a balance board.  I also got to stand on one foot and throw a ball at a net and catch it again.  He had me bouncing on an exercise ball, first with my eyes open and then with them closed.  In the beginning these things were very challenging.  Now that I'm 27 months post-op, I would say that my balance is 99% of what is was before.  I can even balance on the sidewalk curbs again.  Just have to keep challenging yourself.  My newest challenge is seeing if I can run 13.1 miles on May 3, 2007.  My other running friends have already done it.  I'm hoping I will too.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 09:46:52 am »
Batty, i think the hope is that once you've conquered one thing, it won't be a challenge anymore.  I know some things will probably always be a challenge though - but I remember my first days after surgery, just walking across the living room was a challenge.  Now i'm a pro at that!  Baby steps!  We'll all get there some day!!

Lori

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 06:03:24 pm »
Horse pookie on that doctor! My butt!
My favorite balance challenger is the treadmill. My house doesn't have room for one, so post-op I joined a gym and went there between headaches. My vestibular therapist trained me to work on my balance using one and taught me bunches of exercises on it. Walking slow, walking uphill, walking sideways, "targeting," head turns, walking backwards all kinds of stuff. People at the gym looked at me sort of strange, but then again, what with the boots and cutlass and all......

And it has handles! Even early on, when the world is spinning, a treadmill can be used. Don't know about a balance board. Sounds like a circus act!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39:05 pm »

UPDATE Newsflash  ;) :D ;D :)

Today I got my shiny new bike helmet (one that covers the ole craniotomy hole) and got on my mountain bike. Together, as a family, we did the flat, easy and paved part of the “Banks Vernonia Bike Trailâ€?. Yes in 6 months I have gone from a walker, to a drunken sailor with an eye patch to one dare devil   ;) midlife mountain biker that managed to keep the temporary eye weight in my pocket the whole time and did not need it until this evening… The daily walking and balance exercises I endured -have paid off. Healing has happened and I want to share this with you all… :)

(This link, below, tells you about where I cycled- today)
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/bv.pdf

So not only did I ride my mountain bike with NO balance problems but we counted 20 seconds where I actually rode with no hands.
My husband took a photo … That physician who told me I probably will never make it back to my pre-surgery abilities- today I proved him wrong. So Nah!  :P

Thanks for all your encouragement in past months- AN family!

???
Now could someone please explain to me how to post the photo of me- showing off “look no handsâ€? -on my bike in my shiny  ;D new helmet? I have tried but I am technically stumped… nevertheless very willing to try again…

Today I chanted the lines from the Little Engine That Could … “I think I can, I think I can, I THINK I CAN!�

Trying to practice what I preach here 8)  ::)… I am moving forward. :)

Cheers,

marg

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 12:18:54 am »
4  I can't believe it.  I got on the forum today to give my 'big news' and you beat me to it.   :o    Today I got on my bike for the first time too (and of course I wore a bike helmet) and It was so great to ride again. I admit that I didn't ride with -   no hands - (but I didn't do it  before I had surgery so I sure wasn't going to try now  ;D ). 
Hurray to us both.  ..............now all we have to do is work up (down? ) to a unicycle  :D .

Margaret
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:36:54 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 05:53:06 am »
Yay for riding your bike again.... i used to skate with the girls but quit prior to surgery due to
balance ... I have thought of going early and trying again but would probably get looks
showing up in bubble wrap

back to balance boards...this site has several kinds ...

http://rehabilitation-products.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/product/PPF/param/1066_0__1_true/product_search.asp

I have used the third from top , the chango S2000 and the fit ball disc in PTs office when I
have snuck in... they don't have the free rolling action as the one you originally posted and
are more stable ... I am thinking of ordering some for home use as I can not drive to Nashville
three days a week as it was suggested I do for therapy... the 10+  hours a week on I -65 would
undo any good I was getting from therapy

gonna try to post pictures of boards just out of curiosity and see if I can do it

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery