Author Topic: CT scan versus MRI  (Read 5250 times)

Carol Nannis

CT scan versus MRI
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:06:31 pm »
I have a question.  I'm really new to all this.  I was told about three weeks ago that I have an acoustic neuroma from a CT scan which was taken following a fainting episode and subsequent brain concussion.  I saw a neuro surgeon which I was told to do by my hematologist who ordered the CT scan.  He saw what they were talking about on the CT scan, but ordered an MRI which I had this past Monday.  His nurse called me this morning and said the MRI was normal.  Have any of you had this happen and what am I suppose to think?  Of course,  I am very happy if there is nothing there, but what did the CT scan show.  The doctor's PA is going to call me back today sometime, but I thought I would see if any of you have had this happen to them.  I'm afraid to be too optimistic in case there is something there.  Thanks for your help.
Carol

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: CT scan versus MRI
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:17:14 pm »
Carol,
Did they give you a big ole' shot about 1/2 way through everything? That means they did a contrast MRI, actually if you got the shot 1/2 way through that means they gave you an MRI with and without contrast.  If you didn't get the shot, well time to start screamin' at your doc--the only way to get a definitive diagnosis of an AN is with a contrast MRI which will give a pretty exact view of the size and position of it.
I really HOPE your MRI was normal!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:54:03 pm »

yep.. what she said! .. an MRI with contrast is a must .. and makes MRI easy to read ... mind looked like I had an easter egg in my head .. did not need be a Dr. to see it was a problem !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Carol Nannis

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:07:53 pm »
They did do the MRI with and without contrast.  So, if it was normal, does that mean the CT scan was not accurate?  I'm extremely happy over a normal MRI, but I just don't want to overlook anything.  All the worry I've been through these past three weeks has been terrible, as I'm sure you all know.  Thanks for your help.
Carol

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:22:29 pm »
Carol,
 Ã‚ Usually a radiologist (maybe a neuroradiologist in this case) will document what they saw, if anything was unusual, on the MRI.  If both the neurosurgeon and the radiologist say the MRi was normal, then it probably was normal.  You can ask for a copy of your MRI on a CD, that can be used to send for a second opinion if you would like. You can also look at the MRi yourself on a PC.  The House Ear clinic in LA  will do second opinions for free, and give you a phone call .  An AN will show up on contrast MRI as a glowingly white object along the 8th (Vestibular) nerve.
Regards,
 Rob  
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

russ

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:31:58 pm »
 Hello!

A C-Scan often misses ANs up to 1.5 cm. so it is amazing it showed an AN and not the more accurate MRI.
  The MRI scanner MUST be a closed tube variety ( there are open MRIs ) and at least T-3 weighted. I see you had contrast; Good!
  To feel comfortable, I'd want another MRI ( and correctly done and read by a Radiologist ) in 6 mos. What are your symptoms?

Russ

Carol Nannis

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 05:39:56 am »
Russ,
I was surprised also that the CT scan showed something and the MRI did not.  You mentioned that you should have the closed tube variety MRI.  I did not have that this time.  I had an open MRI, although they said it was the newest kind, but it was open.  I have this inner feeling that I should have another MRI just to make sure so I am so glad that you mentioned it.  I see another doctor next Wednesday for a second opinion, which I already had scheduled anyway.  I think I will keep this appointment and see what he has to say.  I certainly don't want an AN, but I just want to be sure.  Thanks for your help.
Carol

Carol Nannis

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:45:57 am »
Russ,
You also asked about my symptoms.  I have had balance problems for about three years and no one has ever determined the reason for them.  I have just adjusted to them and learned to live with them.  Also, in the last few months I have noticed a slight hearing loss in my left ear and a ringing noise that comes and goes and only lasts a short while.  When I have this ringing noise, it feels like that ear is completely closed up.  I never thought much about it until I found out about all this.  I have also had headaches, but since I have headaches a lot anyway I didn't think much about them.  It was by accident that I found out about anything going on in my head.  I fainted and had a concussion and when they did a follow up CT scan to look for a bleed in the brain, that was when they found this.  It was printed on the report which I got a copy of as "a widening of the left internal auditory canal with a mass persistent throughout.  Findings suggest acoustic neuroma."
Carol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:50:24 am »
Hi Carol.

Sounds like you are doing all you can to get a proper diagnosis and being well informed.  Please let us know how your 2nd opinion goes and what their findings are. Mine was very small at first diagnosis (5mmx7mm) and was found by accident when the closed MRI was being done on me for a different reason (was looking for constrictive blood vessel issue). Had no CT when mine was being reconfirmed, but MRI with/without contrast was done instead.

Please keep us updated.  We're here for you! :)
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

russ

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 01:53:17 pm »
Hi Carol!

Given the C-Scan results and your symptoms and the fact you had an open MRI ( only about 1.5 Teslas magnetism ) , I highly suspect you have an AN then. A closed tube ( 3 Teslas or more ) should be performed with high resolution through the axial plane sllice between IACs. Any very good treating center would not order an open MRI for AN detection, or not use high resolution at that particular slice. Hence, a question; Are you being seen at the best facility?
  But; I guess they are performing AN Tx's in places in Europe and Australia w/o MRI and just C-Scan. They are somewhat behind the times in certain locations.
  Best wishes to you!!
  Russ

Russ,
You also asked about my symptoms.  I have had balance problems for about three years and no one has ever determined the reason for them.  I have just adjusted to them and learned to live with them.  Also, in the last few months I have noticed a slight hearing loss in my left ear and a ringing noise that comes and goes and only lasts a short while.  When I have this ringing noise, it feels like that ear is completely closed up.  I never thought much about it until I found out about all this.  I have also had headaches, but since I have headaches a lot anyway I didn't think much about them.  It was by accident that I found out about anything going on in my head.  I fainted and had a concussion and when they did a follow up CT scan to look for a bleed in the brain, that was when they found this.  It was printed on the report which I got a copy of as "a widening of the left internal auditory canal with a mass persistent throughout.  Findings suggest acoustic neuroma."
Carol

Carol Nannis

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 03:18:57 pm »
Russ,
Thanks for your information.  I was somewhat skeptical about the open MRI when they ordered it.  I told them I was claustrophobic, but I was willing to be IV sedated if they wanted to do a closed MRI.  They said this was a new one, but it looked exactly like another open MRI I had earlier.  I live in the Atlanta area and had the MRI at one of the larger hospitals.  I'm glad that I am going for another opinion on Wednesday at Emory.  I'll see what they have to say about it.  Thanks again.  It makes me feel better to think I'm not crazy for questioning the results.
Carol

cookiesecond

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 06:13:11 pm »
Hi Carol,
I don't blame you for wanting another mri. Eventhough I am very claustrophobic, I would want another one. I had a cat scan and it didn't show anything, a couple years later I had an open mri and it showed the 3cm AN.I had the mri with and without contrast.I had surgery 10 months ago to remove the tumor. I will have a follow-up mri at the 1 year mark.
Keep researching and find a team you have confidence in. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us posted.
Lynn

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 01:09:17 am »
Carol: My previous neurosurgeon's secretary once told me over the phone that my MRI was "normal", this was a result from a yearly MRI being done to check on growth of an AN I knew I had....my responce to her was "it couldn't be normal lady I have a brain tumor!", he then corrected herself to say "it shows no growth" I then told her thanks but make me an appointment to see the doctor and let's have him tell me the result.....she wasn't too thrilled with me to say the least. My point is that you shouldn't be getting test results from a secretary who essentially isn't qualified to read the report! Don't believe that this MRI did not show anything abnormal until that comes out of the mouth of a doctor.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)