Author Topic: BAHA Presentation in New Jersey -- Sunday, April 26,2009  (Read 2507 times)

JerseyGirl2

BAHA Presentation in New Jersey -- Sunday, April 26,2009
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:08 am »
Haven't received my print copy yet, but I looked at the latest (April 2009) on-line ANA/NJ newsletter and learned that there will be a BAHA presentation on Sunday, April 26 (1-3 p.m.) at the Summit Medical Group in Berkeley Heights. Here's the link: http://www.ananj.org/Acoustic_Neuroma_Meetings.shtm

Per the details in the newsletter, a presentation by Dr. Jed A. Kwartler (Otologist/Neurotologist, Summit Medical Group) will be followed by a technical question-and-answer session conducted by a representative from Cochlear America who will also provide BAHA head-band demos. Current BAHA users will also be available to answer questions about their experiences. I don't know whether this is an annual event hosted by ANA/NJ or whether it's the first time they've done it (I'm a fairly new member). It sounds like an interesting opportunity for those who want to learn more about BAHA as well as for those of us who already wear one but would appreciate the chance to pick up some tips, compare experiences, etc.

Berkeley Heights is centrally located in NJ and pretty accessible to most in the tri-state area. I'm thinking that this may be of particular interest to New Yorkers Wendy and Nance, both of whom had their BAHA implant surgeries before the January NY/NJ get-together. I'll PM them in case they miss this thread. I know that Debbi is investigating TransEar, but maybe she'd be interested as well.

If you go to the ANA/NJ website, be sure to check out the April newsletter for a nice article about forum member Mickey. It details his experiences as a "wait and watcher" and what he's done to combat severe tinnitus.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Presentation in New Jersey -- Sunday, April 26,2009
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:54:30 am »
Very cool, Catherine  8)

If you attend and you get a chance, please ask the Cochlear people if they do this kind of thing on a regular basis.  I'd love to attend - or participate in - something like this in Illinois.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam Rush

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:22 am »
We had the president of the ANA, Amy Pack give a BAHA presentation w/ demos to our Central Calif AN group at our last meeting. She has the music MP3 adapter, which I have since bought from Cochlear. The meeting was well attended and I had good feedback from the members.  Amy was one of the first AN pt's in this country to get a BAHA, and she is an excellent speaker.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:18:23 am »
Sam -

sounds like it was a good meeting.  Pretty impressive that Amy was one of the first to get the BAHA.

Can you give us a little detail on the MP3 music adapter?  Is it pricey?  How's the sound quality?  etc. 

I have a mono plug for my iPod and the sound is fairly decent, but the BAHA adapter might be worth looking into.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:08 am »
The mp3 adaptor is a little pricy, about $250. Sound quality is fairly good, about like the BAHA itself. I doubt if Cochlear sells too many of them.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:32:50 am »
Thanks for the input, Sam.

Maybe when I have an additional $250 I'll look into it.  In the meantime, I have to pay the mortgage, feed the kids, etc., so I'll probably just stick to my mono-plug.  It does a decent job with the sound and it was very cheap.

Jan