Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 409411 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #585 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:13 pm »
I am off to take my son to school in AZ this week, so Sunday is perfect.

I am open to any type of reading.  So anything off of the list is okay by me.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

sgerrard

« Reply #586 on: August 18, 2008, 09:00:34 pm »
I think Black Wave is an adventure survival story involving a boating accident, so it should be basically be just like fiction, only true. :)  I'd go for that.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #587 on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:42 pm »
Here is the Editor's Review from Amazon:
Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
In 2003, after two years at sea, the 55-foot catamaran sailed by the Silverwoods, a suburban California family that chucked it all to sail around the world, hit a reef off the South Pacific island of Scilly (now known as Manuae), putting the life of Jean and John and their four children (ages five to 16) in peril. The first part of the book is written from Jean's perspective as she opens with the wreck and then moves smoothly between the family's fight for survival and the story of their journey. By juxtaposing the two tales, Jean illustrates how the children's maturity and cohesiveness were not only a byproduct of the trip but also the keys to all the Silverwoods surviving their ordeal, especially John, who was critically injured by the falling mast. Jean wears her heart on her sleeve, and her writing about her marital problems or John's alcoholic relapses is honest. John's narrative is half as long as Jean's, underscoring his straight-to-the point personality and writing style. The saga from John's perspective lacks emotion, but his ability to interweave the story of the Julia Anne (a sailing ship that hit the same reef in 1855) gives an eye-opening account of how much and how little sea travel has changed in 150 years and accentuates the heroism of this family that overcame an extraordinary ordeal. (July)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

cindyj

« Reply #588 on: August 19, 2008, 05:23:56 am »
Oh, I have read their story - don't think it was the book, though???  It does sound good...suppose I could wave my "no non-fiction" rule :)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #589 on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:48 am »
I bet I could do that too - just as long as there is some sort of story!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JulieE

« Reply #590 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:15 am »
I just placed my amazon order for two books:  I ordered Black Wave; and I ordered a book that I would like on the list as opposed to MarioBatali's Molto Italiano - which is just a recommendation to foodies:  Steve, if you'll put "Blindness" on the list instead I would be greatful.  The book was released in 1999, but has been rereleased pending a major motion picture coming out soon.  It is the story of the bad (and ultimately, the good) in human nature because of a disasterous phenomenon, and I'm curious about this nobel author.   
BTW Jan- I don't think you need a special dispensation to discuss as it is not work, and we are spending it with a "family" of sorts! 
Thank you, everyone, for waiting on us till then...I am more than halfway done.
Jules

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #591 on: August 19, 2008, 12:09:09 pm »
I recommended Black Wave because I've read it - it's a well written story, albeit non-fiction.  It's exciting, has funny moments, portrays what it's really like to be living on a boat fulltime (with FOUR kids!!), both the good and the bad.  Has some history too, since a larger ship crashed on the same coral reef a hundred years earlier.

Truth in advertising...I truly think my assessment of the book is honest (I couldn't put it down), but I will tell you that I am good friends with John's brother Mark Silverwood, which is why I HAD to buy it hot off the press and read it!  I knew some of what was going on as it was happening, even before they were found and rescued.  There are lots of interesting 'angles' to it.  Mark's wife Rozanne tells me that the Silverwoods are going to be on 48 Hours sometime late in August.

Despite my connection to the book, I honestly think everyone would enjoy reading it.

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #592 on: August 19, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »
Well, I'm sold!  And, I've already got a copy so will read it anyway.  I'm just finishing up a Tess Gerritsen book right now (a very "edge of the seat" thriller.)

I'll pick up the Molto Mario book too, just because I am a fan.  I used to go to his first restaurant in NYC, Po, when I lived there and would often see him there if we ate late.  He would just come out of the kitchen and hang out and talk to the customers.  Ah, back in the day...

Who's the author of Blindess?

Debbi, happiness is a great husband, two cats, a dog and a good book....
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JulieE

« Reply #593 on: August 19, 2008, 03:36:32 pm »
Well, I might have to take one of my left over anti-anxiety pills just to make it through the remainder of Suns... :-\
Hey Deb, Blindness is by Jose Saramago. I haven't read it yet, but it comes highly recommended.
Jules

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #594 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11:22 pm »
I just had a little shopping spree on Amazon - what fun!  Got the Molto Mario book and Blindess.  I love to cook, so Mario will never go to waste in my house...

Mangiamo!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

JulieE

« Reply #595 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32:14 pm »
I planned on saving toward a trip to Italy to study with Emilio Santini or Lucio Bubacco (glassblowers), and hoped to go around the time of the Grand Prix at Monza (now, just 18 days away), so I could do both on one visit...Then the AN reared it's ugly head!
(Thank you Anne Marie - but this posted incomplete when I walked away from the computer?!)
My point is the AN was an expensive buugger, and I won't be going anytime soon.  So I will have to settle with Mario's book in my kitchen, and Monza on TV!  Maybe next year will be the year, or 2010.   It would have been nice to see him (Mario) in his own element and I think you are pretty lucky, Debbi.  I like to cook too, and I was going to respond on the corn dog thread, but I make a wicked Smoked chicken and goat cheese Calzone that I would be happy to bring to the bottling! ;)  A combined effort would be fun, too...
Jules
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:41:21 am by JulieE »

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #596 on: August 20, 2008, 09:38:19 pm »
Oh Julie,

Enjoy your trip.  An here or AN in Italy.....I'd choose Italy!

Stay well , have funny and post a picture or two.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #597 on: August 21, 2008, 08:22:03 am »
Just started "Suns" late last night; hope to read it fast to start discussion on Sunday.

As for next pick, I don't "do" non-fiction but feel free to go with it and I'll just jump in on the following book.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #598 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:43 am »
Jules, the calzone sounds fabulous!  Anything with goat cheese scores a big WIN with me.  And, I am sure it would go spendidly with the Malbec ...    8)

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2008, 11:09:18 am »
Oh, I'm so excited!  Molto Mario just arrived in the mail (the book, not the Chef) and it looks FABULOUS!  Also got a copy of Blindess.  I'm going run off now and drool over the cookbook....

Debbi, planning pasta....
2.4 cm Right Side AN