Author Topic: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009  (Read 151517 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009
« Reply #465 on: July 26, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
On a different note, I was contacted by Cochlear last week and was asked to help them at their symposium exhibit answering questions and telling others about my experience with the Divino.  I've been a Cochlear volunteer for a few months, but this is my first official assignment and I'm SO excited!   ;D 

Jan ~

Well done!  Congratulations on this notable distinction.  I'm certain you'll be a fine representative for the Cochlear BAHA at the ANA symposium in Chicago next month. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #466 on: July 27, 2009, 11:32:09 am »
So, Jan ... can I get your autograph? 

Debbi  :D
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #467 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:39 pm »
Hi, all,

I wish I could be at the forum but, unfortunately, it is impossible. I am very interested in two topics: everything about AN genetics (sporadic or NF2) and non-BAHA hearing options. I pretty much ruled out BAHA for myself  because of abutment it requires which can potentially lead to headaches.  Is it possible to get notes of everything they talk about on these two subjects in the ANA forum, or does anybody know if ANA publishes any materials I can purchase?

Eve

PS Jan, congratulations!!! Even though BAHA is not for me, I understand  that it is a wonderful option for many people and possibly better performer than the one I use!
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Cheryl R

« Reply #468 on: July 27, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
Eve, there will be audio casssettes or CDs or many of the sessions but not for a few weeks past the symposium.     You can look at the symposium link and see what past ones are available.                             I don't remember too much detail from Slattery at the small session of NF2 about the genetics of it.           Maybe some and am not sure if another session by someone else did go into AN genetics more.                       There is the session on hearing help and has been in the past.                     I think last times on that was Dr Ravi Samy who was in his fellowship at Iowa when had my very first surgery in 2001 and was part of it.           I did not get to that session as more interested in another but did talk to him.   
                                                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jerseygirl

« Reply #469 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:28 pm »
Thanks, Cheryl, I will look for the tapes.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #470 on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »
Eve -

sorry you can't join us; you'll be missed. 

My neurotologist is on the agenda to talk about what's new in hearing restoration after surgery.  If the ANA doesn't have a audio cassette or CD of this particular session, perhaps he'd be willing to give me a copy of his notes and I can PM them to you.

Thanks to you and Jim for your nice comments!

Debbi - the autograph will cost ya!   ;)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseygirl

« Reply #471 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »
Thanks, Jan. I really wanted to go but my son has a birthday that weekend. Can't miss that, can I?

Eve

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #472 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:34 am »
Unfortunately, it looks like I waited too long for the Knickerbocker. They only have suites available now that are out of my budget.

If anyone is sill looking for a place to stay, I made reservations at the Red Roof Inn Downtown Chicago, about a half mile south of the Drake on Ontario at Michigan Avenue. Their AAA rate is $90 for Thursday night, $99 for Friday and Saturday nights plus $36 daily for parking. This is the only sub-$100 price I have found in downtown Chicago. (Red Roof had a MMRP or MMPR rate that was slightly less, but I could not figure out the qualifications for that rate so I opted for the AAA rate.)

My husband and son are going on another Boy Scout float trip that weekend so just the girls and I are coming. Elbee is having her second foot surgery just two days before we arrive. That was the only available date before school starts, and her physical therapist told us there would be no problem being ready for basketball season, so we decided to go ahead and do it. She's a trooper and I am sure she will do fine. She is really looking forward to the trip. As am I.

Sara
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:21:09 am by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #473 on: July 29, 2009, 01:23:24 pm »
So, Jan ... can I get your autograph? 

Debbi  :D

...and you didn't ask for mine?  :'(

eve, so sorry you can't make it. Would have been great to finally meet you and hoping birthday surprises in store for your son.

*walks off crying*.......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #474 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »
Oh, Phyl - I just assumed that you (and Steve, too) knew that I would be wanting your autographs as well!   ;D  Heck, maybe you can autograph my scar?! 

Sara - glad you found a place to stay! 

Eve - I'm interested in non-baha options, too, so I'll take notes for both of us.  I'll see you at our fall NY/NJ lunch, right?

Migoi tweeted that he just finished the "Starbucks..." book and really liked it - I finished it a couple of weeks ago and also really thought it was great.  Inspiring guy. 

See you all in a few weeks  Woot Woot!!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #475 on: July 29, 2009, 03:17:09 pm »
Thanks everybody for your kind words. I have a feeling I will be missing a wonderful gathering and a lot of information.

Debbie - I will do my absolute best to make the Fall NY/NJ lunch. Can't wait to see you all! Thanks in advance for taking notes for both of us!

Eve

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #476 on: July 30, 2009, 05:47:25 am »
Oh, Phyl - I just assumed that you (and Steve, too) knew that I would be wanting your autographs as well!   ;D  Heck, maybe you can autograph my scar?! 

now I feel better :D

BTW....... in speaking to the fearless PirateWench (ie: Captn Deb)..... Pirate gear will be tow for us and homebase for the PBW will be proudly displayed so no one can miss it..... for all official and honorary PBW crew members (which means ALL forumites)........  please make your status known at the symposium :D

Cursed Cruise Director am I! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2009, 05:37:12 am »
Hey Debbi,  can you add me to those non-BAHA notes?????  I'm not ready to ask for another incision in my head just yet!!   

Can't wait to hear about the symposium.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #478 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:16 am »
I'm not ready to ask for another incision in my head just yet!!   
Kathy

I felt like that too post op, but keep in mind that BAHA implant surgery is NOTHING like AN surgery.  Technically there isn't even an incision (a drill doesn't not an incision make)  ;) and the skin flap doesn't count IMO.

Nice, quick, painless procedure.  Fast healing, etc. 

I say try the demo and go from there.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #479 on: August 03, 2009, 08:40:51 am »
I'll add one more thing to do in Chicago--for lovers of classical music.  Every Monday and Wednesday the Cultural Center sponsors a 45 minute classical music program in the world's most gorgeous setting:  Preston Bradley Hall (3rd floor, elevator available.)  Under the world's largest Tiffany dome, surrounded by marble and huge windows overlooking Millenium Park,  you can hear small ensembles performing classical music.  It's really a wonderful experience and it's FREE!!  The Cultural Center, which was built as our library in the 1890's, is on Michigan about a mile and a half straight south of the Drake.  If anyone is staying an extra day or two and is interested, I can tell you what the performance will be.