Author Topic: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009  (Read 151494 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009
« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2009, 07:13:28 pm »
\Jan - the answer to your question then is, i don't know if i can attend....  It sure would be nice to meet everyone, but i will have to do a wait & see, which, for someone who is in W & W mode anyway, is just the new norm for me.  (Thanks for asking)!  If i get the chance, i will come - always do more things these days 'flying by the seat of my pants,' so that will be ok!

Take lots of pics, as Anne Marie suggests - if we are not there physically, we will be there in spirit!

Sincerely,
Sue

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear the news about your dad.  W and W it is. If there is even a remote chance of coming, you might reserve a room knowing that there is a three day cancellation rate as the $199.00 seems to be a good price for the Drake.

Anne Marie and Sue: I am sure there will be some picture takers in the group :)

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #361 on: June 07, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »
Just got back from a weekend meeting at the Four Seasons downtown and it's a hotel to die for - so if money is no object and you haven't booked a hotel for the symposium yet, check it out.  I think it's more spectacular than The Drake - and the fresh cut flowers in the lobby, bar, and meeting rooms were absolutely gorgeous. 

On another note, some of my colleagues from work, who attended this particular meeting last year were telling me that they went to Howl at the Moon (suggested by Kate B) and that the dueling pianos are fantastic.  And the best part - they are NOT too loud - at least in their opinions.  Granted, none of them are SSD, but we may want to take another look at Howl at the Moon.  I'm in - just tell me when  ;D  Didn't we talk about Marci's birthday?  or was that Debbi? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

« Reply #362 on: June 08, 2009, 04:01:57 am »
Hi Kate B. and Jan!

Thank you for the well wishes for my dad - much appreciated!  He is progressing which is a GOOD sign!

Jan - thank you for some more great hotel tips.  Dueling pianos...i want to see that!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2009, 06:14:15 am »
Hello Everyone,

It's been too long since I logged in let alone posted--let me explain.  Before I forget (which happens easily), take me off the list of those coming to the Symposium as what is going on with me has been the deciding factor in not going   :(

I mentioned along time ago I was having issues related to my "good ear" of fullness, mild hearing loss, oscillopsia, nystagmus, sound-induced vertigo and of course the all annoying tinnitus fulltime.  I had an acute bout of vertigo with ear pain and what followed was months of annoying dizziness with night sweating everytime I turned over in bed.  All tests show nothing and my doctor cannot come up with why I'm having these problems.  Many diagnosis' have been mentioned, another tumor which is too small to show up yet on MRI, hydrops, or dehischence (slices on past CT weren't thin enough to see a dehischence).  The diagnosis doesn't really matter anyway as the treatment for any one of these would be worse than how I feel now.

I cannot tolerate low-tone sounds.  My social life has come to a screeching hault.  I wear my muscician's earplug that I've plugged up permanently with silicone plug anytime I'm outside in public, windy days, noisy gatherings, etc.  I am also unable to talk for more than 20 minutes without causing symptoms of vertigo, vibration to the right side of my skull followed by a screaming headache and losing one day to recoup.  Teaching yoga is a no more for me.  Family gatherings have me listening more than participating.  So paying for the Symposium which includes the lovely dinner gathering would cause me, literally, too much pain.

I do well staying at home mostly tending my garden, jogging everyday, yoga also, and am taking sign language classes to help with communicating just incase.  I am happy, relaxed and look forward to everyday.  So no sour pusses here. 

Please remove my name and know how much I will miss seeing old and new friends.

Karen
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Kaybo

« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:46 am »
Karen~
I'm so sorry about this but seems that you are at some level of peace with your new life-style.  IMO, that is the MOST important thing.  I was thinking about you the other day as I have started doing Yoga and it made me think of you...We will definitely miss you in Chicago!  Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help...maybe you can talk to Steve about taking up knitting (if you don't already do that)!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2009, 07:17:15 am »
Arushi,    I am so sorry to hear of how things are going for you!        That's terrible!     Plus to not know the cause has to be very frustrating.  Sounds like you are coping the best you can be but having ones life all changed is not easy.         I have some idea for when I was having the near deaf time, I found out what it is like to not get to do what you want with ease.     
I am sorry we won't get to see you and hope you can have some relief somehow someday.                           I knew we had not heard from you and I was hoping things were ok with you and wish they could be.
                              Big hug and will be thinking of you,    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #366 on: June 10, 2009, 07:34:42 am »
Karen, I am SO sorry to hear you won't be joining us :'(.... I was truly looking forward to meeting you after all this time, but I truly understand. Sending white light to you to help the cause.... the wellness wishes continue, as you know. I think of you and hope things will calm down soon.

xox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #367 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:16 pm »
My husband and I sat down to synchronize our calendars last night. It looks like we will drive to Chicago on the 13th and I will participate in activities on Friday the 14th, so I'm game for anything on those two days. We are going to do family things on Saturday, though, and perhaps drive back to Springfield to have a look-see at all the new Civil War museums there.

Don't know yet where we will be staying, but I do know for a fact that $199 a night is not in the family budget.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #368 on: June 10, 2009, 01:39:56 pm »
Sara~
So great that you can come - look forward to meeting you!'

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2009, 06:29:56 am »
Don't know yet where we will be staying, but I do know for a fact that $199 a night is not in the family budget.

Well, I'd offer you my couch, but you'd have to commute - and sleep with two cats  ;)

Seriously, though, there are lots of very nice hotels downtown that won't charge you $199 a night - check out one of those travel sites like Travelosity.

If I get time after work today, I'll try to post some suggestions.  I'm sure Kate B can suggest a few also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »
Sara,

Glad you can make it.

I just went to http://www.hotels.com

I found some lower priced hotels for as low as 89.50
Make sure you put in Chicago (not chicago area) and you want the gold coast or the magnificent mile. 

Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Tamara

« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2009, 07:21:08 pm »
Please do post lots of pics.  It does sound like so much fun.  If I was going to be in town (in the country, actually), I certainly would have signed to come, since I live about 90 miles away.  Unfortunately, yet fortunately, I'll be on vacation, as that's the only time a number of schedules meshed.

Have a drink for me (2 if you're not driving!)

I can probably pencil in 2011 though... ;D

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
Tamara,

Wish you could be in Chicago at that time...but that being said a VACATION is awfully nice too!

It will need to be a reciprocal picture posting...the conference and a vacation pic.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #373 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:39 pm »
For anybody staying an extra day or two in Chicago, go into this site:  www.chicagogreeter.com.   A volunteer "greeter" will take you on a 2-4 (sometimes longer) tour of whatever area of the city you choose, and bus passes are provided!  Everyone who does it loves it.  It's modeled after "Big Apple Greeters" in New York.
Sharon
 ;D

Kaybo

« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »
WOW!  Thanks for that info and link, Sharon!

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!