Author Topic: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009  (Read 151513 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Save the Date for Chicago ANA Convention August 14-16 2009
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2009, 07:39:05 pm »

Do you think it would be ok to stay in another hotel nearby?  I found a great deal about 3 blocks away...
Marci

Yes, of course.  Some of us will be commuting.  What hotel deal did you find?

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »
Kate -

even if you are commuting, please leave some room in your schedule to socialize with us all after the sessions.

Also, I have a question for you since you seem to have a lot of firsthand knowledge of The Drake.

Are reservations taken - or even needed - for tea? 

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #182 on: May 01, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
OK - so how do we know the dress for these events?  I know we have joked about this some, but really what do we need...especially for Saturday night...what exactly do you do at a "Gala Banquet"? ???  I have to start thinking about these things before I have the girlies 24/7 again! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #183 on: May 01, 2009, 03:06:23 pm »
Kate -

even if you are commuting, please leave some room in your schedule to socialize with us all after the sessions.

Also, I have a question for you since you seem to have a lot of firsthand knowledge of The Drake.

Are reservations taken - or even needed - for tea? 

Thanks,

Jan

Okay, I can hardly miss the slumber party.  I've made my reservation at the Drake so I don't have to worry about the commute. 

For those of you thinking about it, there is up to a three day cancellation with no penalty. They will try to upsell you (offer you a bigger room at a higher price, so let them know you want the ANA rate of $199.00) So even if you are thinking about attending, you can reserve a spot and make a final decision by August.

Jan, I would suggest making the reservation for high tea.  It is a nice experience. I will look to see if I can upload a photo of it.

Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »
OK - so how do we know the dress for these events?  ...what exactly do you do at a "Gala Banquet"? ??? 
K

In Chicago, the norm is nice dress slacks at evening "banquets".  (black pants, blouse or nice top)  A summer dress would be appropriate too. Honestly, it won't be sequins:-)  We'll have to see the agenda, but typically socialize and enjoy dinner is what happens at events like this. They may or may not have music.  Sometimes I've been to events that include a short speaker.  Maybe Judy Vitucci can provide insight.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:31:03 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »
As the self-appointed social director ;D , here is something worth doing while in Chicago.  It is the 60 minute architectural boat tour.  There are a couple of companies that load by Michigan and Wacker.  It is a narrated ride down the Chicago River (yes it is green) with explanations about the buildings (yes Sears, the Merchandise Mart, the Opera House, The Wrigley Building and the new Trump Tower are a part of the tour).  You get a really nice introduction to the city. They also have an hour and a half Lake and Architecture tour which takes you into Lake Michigan and allows you to see the skyline. I would recommend getting the tickets online or early in the day for later sail times.

http://www.wendellaboats.com/chicago.htm  ($22.00 adults, $20.00 children)

http://www.cruisechicago.com/ 

Walking Tours: 
http://www.architecture.org/

Jan, your turn to offer a suggestion for those visiting the city:-)

Kate
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:27:47 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2009, 04:33:07 pm »
Kate -

glad you'll be staying at The Drake and not commuting - and thanks for the tip on the tea.  I'll have to look into it further.

As for social events, there is tons of stuff to do and see downtown.  I agree that the Architectural boat tour is great - I've done it twice recently.  The museums are wonderful - especially the Art Institute - and there is a Pirate Exhibit at the Field Museum in August at the same time as the symposium.  The Oceanarium, which is part of the Aquarium, is very cool - it looks out on Lake Michigan; and we also have the Adler Planetarium with their sky show.  Buckingham Fountain at night with the lights is absolutely gorgeous and don't forget Millenium Park with the famous "bean" sculpture.  Navy Pier is something to see, and the huge ferris wheel isn't that scary (enclosed cars that don't rock)  ;D

For those who want to use Lori's credit card, there is lots of very pricey shopping on the Mag Mile.   We also have not only a Hershey's store but a Ghiardelli store literally across the street from it.  That's where I'd hang out if I had the chance  ;)  The House of Blues has a world-class Folk Art collection, so if your ears can stand the loud music, you don't want to miss that.  Another loud place is The Hard Rock Cafe - but if you've been to the one in NYC skip it - it's not nearly as nice.

One thing I haven't seen - but am dying to - are the Tall Ships that come to Chicago in August and I'm hopeful they'll be on the Lake during the symposium.  For the pirates among us, they'll just add to the theme.  I'm planning to do a little research this weekend to see if I can find some info. about them.

I'll try to find some links to post on this thread very soon. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2009, 04:35:38 pm »
There were several wearing black dresses last time at the banquet.      Most women at all of the ones I have went to wore a somewhat dressy dress.         I have no black dress but will bring a dress.       
                                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
Thanks Cheryl!!  Might be a good excuse to get a new "summer" dress!!

Jan, we will be awaiting your research - could you please include links?? ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2009, 04:41:51 pm »
Yes, I will include links.   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2009, 12:08:52 am »
Wow, Kate!  Thanks for all the links; some great ideas.  Were you a social director in another life?  ;)

Loved your notoriety comment on the Houses of Worship - Willow Creek Church is the most notorious house of worship I know  :D  The Bahai Temple is gorgeous and well worth the trip - as is Holy Name.

I looked for a link to the Tall Ships and can't find that they are coming to Chicago this year.  The most recent link I could find was 2006, but I was pretty sure they were here just last year.  I'll have to keep looking.

The Air & Water Show is going on the weekend of the symposium and it's a great event - huge crowds, though.

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/chicago_air___water.html

And for entertainment I'm adding Second City - many famous comic started out there and eventually moved to SNL and beyond.

http://www.secondcity.com/?id=theatres/chicago

Also for those who want to shop but don't want the steep Mag Mile prices, check out Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg (need a car).  Woodfield is billed as Illinois' #1 tourist attraction and the Chicago area's largest shopping mall with over 300 shops, stores and restaurants.  I spent many weekends and many dollars there in my youth  :D

http://www.shopwoodfield.com/

Other great places to eat are Ed Debevics, The Rock & Roll McDonalds, Rain Forest Cafe, and for the best pizza in town Gino's East.  (Looks like a dive, but has incredible pizza)  ;D

We've also got some big tall buildings with views - The John Hancock, the Sears Towers - although one of them just recently changed it name - and we have a new Trump Towers.

We should probably stop listing all the things to see and do or people won't have time to fit in all the symposium activites  ;)

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2009, 12:47:47 am »
Haven't come across specific info on Chicago Tall Ships 2009, but did find out that Chicago has an official Tall Ship named Windy that has firework cruises, pirate cruises, and how to be a sailor cruises, among other things.

http://www.tallshipwindy.com/

I also found this great site that has just about every type of tour imaginable, plus activities, in Chicago   http://www.chicagotours.us/

You asked for links, Kay.  Between Kate and I, I think you have plenty for a while  :D

Jan

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2009, 06:16:53 am »
We should probably stop listing all the things to see and do or people won't have time to fit in all the symposium activites  ;)
Jan

Yes, I thought of that  ;D  Otherwise it is like saying, I'll have a little coffee with my cream... a little symposium with my vacation please  ;)
It is also why Chicago is a wonderful place for a convention.

I will add your links to the ever growing list later so it will give you even more time.  Gino's East is where I typically go for pizza downtown and I overlooked it! Yikes. 

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Cheryl R

« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:33 am »
I sent for a Chicago guide book and it came recently and also one for the Woodfield area which also I haven't read yet.   
We have been to Chciago twice before and have been to the Sears tower in the day and also at night.   That was neat.       Has been a while though.              We did Ed Debevics and our girls thought that was so neat as they were young at the time. 
                                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2009, 08:42:42 am »
Cheryl -

I have never been to Ed Debevic's - and for some strange unknown reason I am dying to go  ::)

Maybe I'll make it there in August. 

Jan