Author Topic: Flying and Altitude Issues  (Read 3684 times)

LB

Flying and Altitude Issues
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »
I'm taking my first plane flight since my AN was diagnosed.  I'm heading to Breckenridge (approx. 11,000 feet) from Florida which is sea level. Should I be aware of or expect any issues?

Desilu

Re: Flying and Altitude Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:40:50 pm »
Hi LB,

I am not a doctor but I don't think you would have any problems. Many of us have traveled across the United States in order to get treatments for our AN's. If there was a problem, I don't think our doctors would recommend that we fly out to them if it wasn't safe? Just my opinion. Hope this helps? Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:21:36 am »
LB -

you don't say if your AN has been treated or not.

I went to Denver six weeks after my AN surgery - even took the cog train to Pike's Peak - and didn't have any issues with altitude or flying. 

Even if your AN hasn't been treated, I'm guessing it won't be a problem for you.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:59 pm »
My AN was diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago (I keep forgetting, which is probably a good thingl)  I fly a lot because my grandkids live in California (I'm in Chicago) and I just love to travel.  I used to have problems with my ears not popping back on descent, but I don't think that's related to my AN and for some reason lately the problem has pretty much gone away.  Mine is under 2 cm so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Ellen K

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:27 am »
I live on the East Coast, and before my AN was diagnosed, I served on the board of wonderful organization on the West Coast and made regular trips.  I wondered why after almost every trip I awoke with vertigo and had to sleep it off for several hours before I could function again.  The vertigo eventually morphed into daily dizziness, and the thought of getting on a plane was too horrible, so I gave up my board position.  Now, several months later, I just took a plane trip to the Rockies and had no attacks.  I think the balance nerve on the non-AN side is coping well, and I am delighted to back in the air.

I wanted to chime in because I think that for those who do have serious vertigo or dizziness, plane trips may exacerbate the problem (in my non-medical, humble experience).  If you are not experiencing serious vertigo/dizziness issues now, I don't think a plane flight would be a problem.  As a precaution, you'll want to stay well hydrated.

Have a great trip!
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.