Author Topic: surgery on 2-12-13  (Read 2598 times)

bgaard9

surgery on 2-12-13
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »
After talking to many places and many Doctors I have come to the realization that every Doctor wants to be the one to do the surgery.  I sincerely hope that the decision to stay with the confident team here in Kansas City is wise.

This surgery is for my son who just turned 21 last week.  He has abdicated the responsibility of research to me and then asks me questions and expects me to find answers.  His greatest concern is the threat of facial paralysis.  He is having a trans-lab and his hearing and balance are already seriously compromised on the AN side.  It seems like this may make it quicker for him to adjust after surgery.

He is dealing with it very solidly on the emotional front.  He has great confidence in the young but well trained neurosurgeon.  I share his confidence but will be a nervous wreck until we get him home and start recovery.  I have a vague hope that people who have less than optimal outcomes are possibly more likely to be active on the internet and vocal on AN issues than those who have an uneventful recovery.  I really appreciate the optimism it gives me to hear about someone who got through surgery and was able to resume daily activities in a short time.

Waiting for next week and trying to think of something else occasionally and seldom being successful.

Charles (father of Oliver)

P.S.
This is the kid who at 19 had a thyroidectomy and central neck dissection due to papillary thyroid carcinoma. Spent last winter break getting Radioactive Iodine ablative therapy and then this winter break found out about the AN.  It is time for him to have a chance to worry about young people things rather than health problems.

kmr1969

Re: surgery on 2-12-13
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:38:59 pm »
Charles,

So sorry that you and your son have to go through this, but at least you are going through it together.  I can only imagine how you feel, but I think I can understand.  I'm 43 and my dad, 75, cried when I told him I had a brain tumor.  I don't think you ever see your child as anything but your little boy or girl.

Sounds like Oliver is certainly due a break and I will say prayers for him and hope to hear back from you that the surgery went well.

It is good that he has confidence in his doctor and I wouldn't do anything to undermine that for him.  Fortunately, there are a lot of good doctors out there and the pool of doctors with AN experience seems to be rapidly increasing.

I had translab almost 3 months ago and am doing well.  I have been back to work 5 weeks and feeling better every day.  Minor facial issues which I hope will resolve over the next 3 months and just the typical fatigue and minor balance issues. SSD also.  Still, I feel like I am doing well and confident that my life will get back to complete normal soon.

Best wishes to you and Oliver,

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

nftwoed

Re: surgery on 2-12-13
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:13 pm »
Hi Charles;

As I understand surgical procedures, Translab offers the best view of the facial nerve and lowest likelihood of regrowth. Only the facial nerve will remain.
   My concern is your son's age, his previous problems, and the possibility of an NF-2 Dx in the future. The AN seems pretty aggressive for a 21 year old if one researches criteria for NF-2.
   Of course, all surgeons wish to compete for a $125,000 surgery, BUT, Oliver needs the best and someone well experienced with NF-2, in my opinion. I hope KC provides that.
   Would have to admit Oliver's situation and history aren't exactly typical.