Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 11917 times)

lifeofbrian

Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:07:17 pm »
Thanks everyone for your opinions, experiences and advice.  I don't usually have much time to be online, so I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner.  I am a Monty Python fan from way back.  I do think it is a good idea to step away and take a fresh look at the circumstance. I have not been able to sleep and I have just got to settle in, get a game plan and then execute it to the best of my ability with no regrets.  I really appreciate all of you for taking the time and replying to my post.

Thank You!!!

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »
As you can see Brian, everyone has their own personal feelings about which way to go...unfortunately when you talk to the doctors it is the same with them. 

Brian -

I just wanted to note that this was not my experience.  My neurotologist - only doc I consulted with - does both radiation (GK) and surgery and told me the choice was mine.  And it truly was.  In fact, he refused to tell me what to do - as much as I tried to get him to make my decision.  Yes, I'll admit I was looking for the easy way out  ::)  In the beginning it was very frustrating, but in the end, I appreciated him more for it.

Taking time away from the Forum to digest everything and make your decision is very helpful.  At times the posts can get extremely overwhelming. 

Doc B -

I thought you were going to say that I was the smartest on the Forum  ;) - but then I noticed the word "guy" LOL

I am quite opinionated also - as everyone knows - and I don't think either you or I need to apologize for that.  I am not always level-headed (that would be my partner in crime, Lori) - I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve especially when I'm passionate about something like ANs and BAHAs.

Opinions and experiences are what the Forum revolves around and oftentimes the words "IMO" mean a whole lot in a post.  We don't always agree with each other - and I especially like to play devil's advocate just to spark discussion  ;D - but if we respectfully disagree there's no harm done.

No offense was meant; sorry if it was taken.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 04:18:31 pm »
None taken Jan...!  I also happen to be retired Military where we had a saying about opinions...ha!  Anyway, always fun to share and, definitely to agree to disagree...I for one love the banter!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
Yeah, I'm a banter-lover, too.

I know the saying about opinions, and I also know one about when you assume  ;D

Glad you weren't offended.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Doc

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 11:05:06 am »
I almost forgot the "assumption" thing...I'm good at that...ha...nice call!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

lifeofbrian

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 07:03:54 pm »
Hi all.  I have made a decision on my treatment.  I have scheduled the GK for Feb. 11th.  Pray that I have made the right decision.

Thanks,
Brian

Jackie

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »
Brian,

Wishing you a great outcome for GK and a peaceful calming to help you know that you have made the right decision. Bless you,
Jackie from Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
Brian -

if you are confident in your decision and comfortable with it, then it IS the right one for you.

I took the liberty of putting your GK date on the AN Calendar.

Prayers and good wishes,

Jan

Doc

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
Good Luck Brian...I'll be thinking of you on the 11th!

Take Care...remember, happy thoughts!
  ;)
Doc

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
If you are confident in your decision and comfortable with it, then it IS the right one for you.

Brian, I agree with Jan on this. Right on, Jan!

You can't guarantee your outcome, no matter what you decide to do. You can only make the best choice available to you, based on what you have learned and what you feel in your gut. Once you have done that, all you can do is sit back and find out what happens.

Best wishes for an excellent zapping.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lifeofbrian

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »
Thanks Jackie, Jan, Doc and Steve for your kind words.  I got a little emotional the last time I came here.  When I write , my soul seems to be in my fingertips, if that makes any sense.  I will surely let you know how it turns out and maybe my experience can help someone.

Thanks again!
Brian

GRACE1

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
Good luck with GK on the 11th.  I hope you have as good an experience as I had. 

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

cin605

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum...Glad that you found this informative spot...We are all here for you....Do not be afraid to scream ,cry ,ignore us,ignore other people,laugh hystericly,comment,Gripe state your own oppinion..state some one elses opinion.....basically do n say what u feel. ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 07:58:08 pm »
Some great advice from above and i can only re-iterate that you get second and maybe third opinions. My preference is radiation but given you already have facial nerve issues, you need to get exact info from your docs about the risks and potential success of both options. You'll need to ask them whether they can get it all out or will they leave a residual.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 02:31:26 am »
Brian, I had numbness when I finally got my diagnosis, and sad to say, it didn't go away after my GK treatment.  My trigeminal nerve is doing a tango with the AN and thus, it shall be, forevermore.  It would be a toss up if I could get rid of one thing - the numbness or the tinnitus.  The loss of hearing isn't even in the top 2! ha  Even though I'm grateful that I had GK and didn't have to go through surgery, I'm always going to wonder if a good surgeon would have made that issue better.  I suspect the tinnitus would still be around, and of course, my hearing was already shot by the time of treatment, so that wouldn't have changed.  But it's highly annoying to go through life with this "sunburned" feeling face, the taste in my mouth and the burnt tongue thing.  So, I sympathize with you very much.  Knowing what I know now, I'd probably still chose GK, tho.  But, your AN is larger than mine is.  At 2.6 cm, you might have more trouble with radiation.  I wish you all the best.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode