Author Topic: Surgery June 22  (Read 6865 times)

mjbelen

Surgery June 22
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:57 am »
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed last month with a 2 cm acoustic neuroma.  I have been to see two doctors in Florida (my home state) but I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Brackmann at the HEI on June 22nd.

I am also in a quandy as to which surgical approach to opt for. Though I feel like my hearing is not as good in my left ear due to the stuffy feeling that I have, my hearing in that ear tests out really well.  I have a very high pressure job with long hours which knocks the socks off me now pre-surgery.  Headaches are not an option for me.  So I was resigned to losing my hearing in my left ear and going for translab which has the least risk of headache. However the doctors I saw this week thought I would be crazy not to go for the retro approach and try to save my hearing as it is so good.  I do have a lot a numbness on the left side of my face and mouth so of course my other concern is choosing the best option to save my facial nerve.

I would love to hear from others who faced the same decision.  Thanks!  Wishing good health to all!  :)

Joan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery June 22
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:23:23 pm »
Hi, Joan - and welcome.

Although no one wants the dreaded AN diagnosis I'm glad you discovered the ANA website discussion forums.  I won't presume to tell you what surgical option is best for you but I would certainly question Dr. Brackman on this to get his input, as he is the medical professional doing the surgery and has years of experience.  For what it's worth, I underwent the retrosigmoid approach surgery to debulk a 4.5 cm AN and I had no headaches at all.  The chances of retaining your hearing is low even with the 'retro' surgery - but it beats zero.  Unfortunately, my situation is not analogous to yours as far as hearing retention goes.  I was SSD prior to the AN surgery and my hearing loss was unaffected by the operation, as I expected it would be.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mjbelen

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »
Thanks Jim.  Do you mind telling me where you had your surgery done.. I am so glad that you got such a good result.

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
The hearing loss can be difficult in some situations. But I made the decision that the small chance of saving my hearing versus a high chance of having headaches (severe) I was NOT going to take. I am a nurse. My job is high pressured, stressful etc....and 2 small children. My mother has suffered most of her life in pain from arthritis and if I can avoid pain, I will. Research the different procedures, I researched heavily..I will never regret choosing translab with Dr. Brackmann..no regrets..ever!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Phillies

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
A high chance of headaches?

MJCKY

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:46 pm »
I had surgery at House on 5-5-11 by Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. 1.6 CM removed via middle fossa approach. I realize you are deciding between the two other approaches. My hearing was very good going into surgery and seems to be unaffected post surgery. I had no facial issues and over the last week my pain has almost gone away. You need to think about going the rest of your life without hearing on that side. I know the headaches are a huge concern but you are not guaranteed to have them with retro. Ultimately you have to go with your gut but know you are in great hands at House. Best of Luck!
Mike

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »
Thanks Jim.  Do you mind telling me where you had your surgery done.. I am so glad that you got such a good result.

Joan ~ 

My AN debulking surgery was performed by neurosurgeons Dr. Isaac Goodrich and Dr. Judith Gorelick at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, Connecticut on June 7th, 2006. 

For your perusal, here is a link to the doctor's website:  http://www.ct-neurosurg.com/  A link to the hospital's website: http://www.srhs.org/  I trust this information will be helpful to you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

momof5

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Hi Joan
I am going in Tuesday for a translab approach. I have had 4 doctors comment including some from House in CA and all suggest translab even though I can still hear in the upper tones. My tumor is about the size of a grape but deep in the canal. I have no numbness or headaches but def tinnitus. I am willing to sacrifice what hearing I have to save my face if possible. So that is what I am doing. My very best to you. Currently I am just looking for some helpful last minute suggestions for post surgery.

Barb
1.3X 1.3 X 1.7
Translab- Barrows on 6/7/2011
Dr's Smith and Weiskopf

opp2

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »
June 22 is my wedding anniversary, 15 years this year. I'll be nearly 1 year post op by then. My good friend who frequented the now defunct Canadian site had his surgery on the 22 of June last year. He lost his hearing and so did I. We both had retrosigmoid approach to the surgery. Another good friend of ours Adrienne who is currently enjoying a trip abroad, also had surgery with the same guy, retro, 2 years ago this past May. She did manage to save a little hearing on her affected side. As far as I know none of us have post surgery headaches.

All the best with your choices, we know the struggle you are facing, and we will be here to help you with your recovery however we can.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mjbelen

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:43:54 am »
Thanks so much to everyone for your responses.  I guess I have a lot to think about. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:51:27 am »
Hi Joan .....

Glad you are joining this forum.  You will have many new friends here who know exactly how you are feeling.

I just had translab surgery at St. Vincent's/HEI on May 11th with Drs. Friedman and Schwartz.  You are in excellent hands with Dr. Brackmann and I would trust the opinion of any of the docs out there.  I had a terrific result ...... walking around downtown LA 10 days post-op.  But, I had already had the vestibular nerve removed three and a half years ago so regaining my balance was much less complicated this time.

I knew ahead of time that I would be deaf in my AN ear, so I went ahead and had them put the abutment in for the Oticon Ponto Pro bone anchored hearing assist.  I am anxiously awaiting being able to attach the processor in August.

I had no headaches with either the retrosigmoid or translab approaches.

Best thoughts and many prayers for a successful and satisfactory surgery soon.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mjbelen

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:43 am »
Well today's the day. Getting ready to go see Dr. Brackmann and making my final surgical choice. Met with Dr Schwartz and Dr. Stefan yesterday. Had all the tests. I didn't get dizzy at all from the balance tests so it looks like my right ear is already compensating for my left

Though I have slept well lately I have been up most of the night with a killer headache. I wonder if it has any relationship to any of the testing. I am concerned about how badly I will feel when I wake up after surgery. That is actually my biggest fear as I do feel I will make it through the surgery. As I will most probably opt for translab I also am wondering how disabling single sided deafness will really be as I think it will impact my life more than I could possibly know.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will post on the boards as soon as I am able.

moe

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:43 am »
Prayers going out for a successful surgery and post op outcome.
You probably won't get a chance to read this, but you'll see that when you wake up, it will most likely be a blur, and just get through the first few days with meds for pain or nausea. Everyday will get a little better. Will be interested to see how you do. Please post when you get a chance to let us know how things went.

You will see that the SSD probably won't be as noticeable at first, and farther down the road there is the BAHA implant which will help.

See you in "postie" land!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 05:07:06 am »
Joan .....

You are in my prayers as you recover from surgery.  I hope and pray all went well yesterday and that you will be moving to a "regular" room today.

If someone is lurking from Joan's family, let us know how she is doing ...... or Joan, when you read this let us know yourself.

Many thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:54:08 am »
I know that you are just a day out of surgery, and I hope you feel better today than you did yesterday. Let us know how you are doing. We are all pulling for you.

James