Author Topic: Prescription Chantix to quit smoking  (Read 1457 times)

Dana

• Hi!
Prescription Chantix to quit smoking
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:55 am »
I just want to give a heads up to anyone considering getting an RX for Chantix to quit smoking -- Chantix is a POTENT medicine that for my hubby and I, at least, causes definite vertigo.

I NOW know the difference between my AN-caused balance problems and vertigo!  Man!  When I mention to Chantix to anyone in the medical profession now, I am getting responses like, "Yeah, I've heard there are some powerful side effects."  Whereas the general public has mostly just heard that it makes quitting smoking alot easier.  Both are true, from our experience, but the Chantix has really made my balance problems worse ... therefore, I've quit taking it.

If you have balance problems from your AN, I'd seriously question using Chantix.  I think it adds too much to the "soup pot" of symptoms we already have.  But, as always, these things are highly individual.  I just think it's interesting that both my husband (who has balance problems from multiple sclerosis) and I have had this vertigo side effect.

Anyway, I'm just putting up this post in case anyone searches for "Chantix" on our Board and wants to hear some experience....

Ciao,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Prescription Chantix to quit smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
Hi Dana:  You're right, it definitely IS individual re: side effects.   I have been on Chantix (again), & finally quit smoking ( YEA for me !). 
Anyway, I never had vertigo - my only side effect was moderate to severe nausea when taking 1 mg twice a day,  so the doc who
prescribed it said to take 1 mg a day ( I take it at home in the evening after a full meal ). 
I'm glad I didn't get the vertigo b/c then I would have had to stop taking it....

Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Dana

• Hi!
Re: Prescription Chantix to quit smoking
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »
Nancy,
So glad to hear that the side effects are individual -- it WAS good for quitting smoking .... as I careened down the hallway!   

So, once again, everything we choose is individual, and unpredictable!

Love,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.