Author Topic: MRI and other questions  (Read 6491 times)

sgerrard

Re: MRI and other questions
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 09:02:16 pm »
The receptionist said I should book an appointment that is good for my husband as the doctor will want to discuss the results of the MRI and options. 

It is probably not a great idea to read between the lines, but since you already have, I think there is a hint there. On the one hand, if you need to discuss options, that would suggest there is something there to discuss options about. On the other hand, if you have options, and you can discuss them at your convenience, that would suggest it is small and doesn't require immediate action.

Since there are generally three options, perhaps you can play rock, paper, scissors for a couple of weeks until the appointment.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 09:17:48 pm »

Since there are generally three options, perhaps you can play rock, paper, scissors for a couple of weeks until the appointment.  :)

That made me laugh.  I have decided to stop fretting - see if I can do it.  IF (and big big big IF) it is an AN, very few need to be dealt with any speed, so why start fretting now.  Regardless of the discussion on the 11th, nothing is going to change for a few months.

I love x-mas, I love my family and kiddos, and fretting is just going to ruin it all (for EVERYONE - especially my poor husband).

As of this moment, I am stopping fretting - and will promise myself only a tiny, weeny bit of internetting each day (well, about the topic!)
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Keeping Up

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 08:39:15 pm »
Am I allowed to have more questions ... these are probably relatively generic to the folks with any sort of ear issue (which I definitely have ... an AN is hopefully not the cause).

Appointment is a week away to determine what all this is about (or at least, what it isn't about!)

Nausea - what causes the nausea with inner ear issues.  Anyone have any good articles/references?  I was originally somewhat nauseated when this all started a month ago - maybe once a day, especially on the subway.  It was akin to morning sickness feeling (the girls will know what this is like).  Thankfully, I have only had one bout of the spins (i.e. like having drunk way too much alcohol at university).  However, I now have morning sickness bouts several times a day - I even was woken up last night in the middle of the night.  It is not over-whelming, just uncomfortable.  What in the inner ear (or perhaps the AN types are just related to their ANs - I imagine mine is related to inner ear) creates the nausea feeling. I had a two week respite of no nausea and no spins but it is now back, and worse.  I eat regardless, because I remember from preggers days that even if you didn't feel like eating, it was by far better to maintain your blood sugar.  (Yikes, a preggers person with nausea and low blood sugar and the grumps ain't a pretty sight!) FYI ... I am so not pregnant.

Ear stuffiness - again, I am now in the frame of mind that I don't have an AN - they are just too unusual - I just have inner ear issues.  What causes that inner ear stuffiness?  It is so odd to be walking about and have a plugged up ear - so you can litterally hear yourself in surround sound humming x-mas carols or breathing!

Audiograms - trying to interpret audiograms - how can you tell on your audiogram if you have low frequency versus high frequency hearing loss?  My audiogram (again very very mild hearing loss) was normal at one end, but tailed off towards the right side?  Is that chart that is low versus high frequency?  Just wondering if I can learn a few more buzz words before the appointment next week.

And, finally - perhaps instead of lurking about here, is there a hearing issues board.  Probably these more generic questions deserve to be elsewhere.  Now that I have somewhat (far from completely) decided that an AN is not likely just due to the odds/frequency, I am utterly intrigued (not obsessed) with the physiological aspect of mild hearing loss.  It is somewhat cool at this level (because it is so mild) - why does the brain react this way.  I am 37 years old - so age is not a likely cause.

Still lurking about for another week.

Ann

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:56:04 pm by Keeping Up »
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'