Author Topic: Pantothenic acid to preserve nerves and reduce tumor swelling?  (Read 1700 times)

Tumbleweed

Pantothenic acid to preserve nerves and reduce tumor swelling?
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:33:55 am »
Hi, everyone:

I ran across some interesting information in the Nutrition Almanac (McGraw Hill). It states that pantothenic acid, one of the B vitamins (I believe it's B5), "stimulates the adrenal glands and increases the production of cortisone and other adrenal hormones..." Hey, that sure sounds to me like a natural substitute for steroids! Perhaps pantothenic acid supplementation could be useful as a preventative for tumor swelling.

The book also states that pantothenic acid "aids in the prevention of nerve degeneration due to a deficiency." It may be a bit of a leap to assume it could also help prevent cranial nerves from degenerating after getting irradiated (during/after GK, CK or FSR treatments), but there could possibly be some benefit there as well.

What's interesting to me is that I've always found eating salmon (which is very high in pantothenic acid) makes me feel better, reducing my dizziness and tinnitus. I've observed this over the past several years but could never figure out why this is so (for me, at least).

Other sources of pantothenic acid include egg yolks, brewer's yeast, whole grains and organ meats.

Therapeutic doses are cited to be 50 to 200 mg daily. Pantothenic acid is purportedly non-toxic.

I generally avoid taking any one B vitamin in isolation because it can actually throw the B complex balance out of whack and cause a defiency in the other B vitamins. Also, studies show that B vitamins are better assimilated when the source is dietary (food) rather than supplements. But I'm going to start a short course of pantothenic acid and see how it makes me feel. I'm not naive enough to think there is a silver bullet out there for AN-related symptoms, but perhaps this will help a little.

Just thought you all might like to know about this... FWIW.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pantothenic acid to preserve nerves and reduce tumor swelling?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:50:50 am »
Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Let us know how the "course" goes.  I'm curious what benefits you get from (if any).

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager