Author Topic: 1 yr post op MRI YAY  (Read 2691 times)

DHJ

1 yr post op MRI YAY
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:09 pm »
Hi All     I had my first Post OP MRI today 1 year after surgery.Dr. Barker ( one of my surgeons at MGH) reviewed the MRI and agreed with the radiologist report stating that the AN was gone.YAY.Dr. Barker was also quite happy with my recovery and believes that I will continue to see improvement in my facial nerve function for at least 6 more months. He has recommended future MRI's at 2 and 5 years but seemed quite confident that the AN is gone and will not be back.My follow ups will continue at MEEI with Dr. Hadlock and her facial nerve therapy team . I am hopping that my eyelid weight will be removed by next spring.After a rocky start to this past year my recovery finally got on track and today was great news.
            Thanks to all the love and prayers of my family,friends,fellow ANers and wonderful wife, life is good today.After our appointments Julie and I walked through Boston Common and had lunch outside on Newbury St.What a difference a year makes..   Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1 yr post op MRI YAY
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »
Dave ~

Your MRI update made my day!  Congratulations!

This kind of slightly-protracted success is what newly-diagnosed AN patients need to see.  Thanks you for sharing it with our community.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

millie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »
Great news about the MRI showing tumor is gone  and about your facial nerve.  Terrific!
Thanks for sharing!

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:29:57 pm »
Let me add my congratulations on your news. While I had no facial weakness beyond 2 weeks as tumor remnant was left on the facial nerve in my case, I did have vocal cord and swallowing problems that have required a year to really improve. So I shared your feeling of what a difference a year makes.
I can also appeciate your MRI results. While my tumor was not totally removed, my one year MRI on Oct 15 this year showed stable residual tumor size which is the best I can hope for. The operative report from 10/06/2011 stated 95 to 97% of the tumor was removed. Should regrowth occur, gamma will be used to "mop up the remaining tumor." But so far so good. Again, congratulations, and like your surgeon, mine told me I can expect more improvement for another 6 months. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:59:54 pm »
Congratulations!!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »
Hurray! It is fun to celebrate your great news.  Thanks for sharing it. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:53 am »
It is always a good thing to have a clean MRI!  Much better than that first one eh? :)  Congrats!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston