Author Topic: 3 months post OP and complications  (Read 2920 times)

DHJ

3 months post OP and complications
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:22:17 pm »
Hi All    Surgery went well on Nov 4 and I think my wife posted that the Doctors (McKenna/Barker) were successful in removing all of my 3cm tumor and preserving my facial nerve. I left MGH 5 days later for a spaulding rehab facility. Nov 15 I returned to MGH via ambulance for more emergency surgery to remove the titanium mesh , drain a intercrainial abcess , and further clean the wound. I was also put on 2 months of IV antibiotics (4 times a day) and returned to spaulding rehab until Dec 15. This whole time I needed a walker to stand up. Memingitis,pneunmonia,pulminary embolisma,blood clots,minor stroke,you name it I got all the stuff that I signed off on with Dr. Barker's waiver.Even got a platinum weight in my eyelid.
             Today I walked 4 plus miles with my faithful dog and I am feeling pretty good.Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. GO PATS        Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

New girl

Re: 3 months post OP and complications
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:51:48 am »
Hi Dave!  Glad to hear from you.  What an incredible road you have traveled down.  Glad you are doing well now.  Enjoy the game today!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:55:33 pm »
Hi Dave,
All I can say is boy, you are a trooper, but did you have any choice.    You've come through a lot and I wish I were there to pat you on the back.    It's incredible what you have been through.
Glad, too, that you are a Pats fan.   I lived in Mass for 10 years and really miss it.
Keep on the road to good health and anytime you need us, we are here for you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »
Wow! What a story..but one with such a happy ending! Glad to hear you are doing so well. Are you the Dave with the wife Julie? If so I am Julie and my husbands name is Dave also. If you are not..oh well..back to the Superbowl! Go Patriots:) Go Giants:)----I dont care who wins....I am a Miami Dolphin fan since birth!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

DHJ

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:42:07 am »
Hi JA    My wife's name is Julie and I believe that she posted updates a few time while I was out of it. I sure have a new perspective on life and congratulate the Giants even though they beat my Pats. My only problem is trying to decide where I should walk on this beautiful Day.
            I see Dr. Barker for a fol ow up at MGH on Feb. 16 and have lots of Questions about what went wrong but I am afraid that the answer is a small percentage of patients experience complications and I was one of the unlucky few. After that question I hope to focus on the successful removal of my 3 cm tumor and preservation of my facial nerve.Things are getting better every day.
           My dog Gracie the airedale is ready to go,she knows that it is walk time, maybe we will walk to the beach today. Thanks again to all my friends and loving family. Life is Good. 
                                      Peace Dave                     
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:17 am »
It's so nice to hear a positive, upbeat attitude after all that you've been through.  Keep it going!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:52:39 am »
Very proud to be in your company.  Was there a cause of the infection?  Anything that might have happened as a precursor?  Glad you overcame!!!!
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:38 pm »
Dave, you're an inspiration! You've overcome so much. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well now.

I'm trying a 3 mile walk today but my poor dog will have to sit this one out. My balance isn't quite up to his shenanigans!

I hope you get some answers on the 16th and that you just keep getting better and better!

Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:19:39 pm »
Dave
Glad you are here. You are a true inspiration. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012