Author Topic: Care plans 1 week post op  (Read 2547 times)

Twindy

Care plans 1 week post op
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »
8 days after surgery, my dear husband will be taking kids to one of their day-long activities.  Will I need to arrange for someone to spend the day with me or can I be alone for a day? What about a 1.5 hour car ride on my part to stay with somone nearby their event or in a hotel room?  Or will I want to be at home?  Should I be near my dr./hospital?  I know everyone is different and I will have a plan B in case there are complications and hubby needs to be with me, but what are your experiences?  Just trying to get all the appropriate arrangements in place.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Care plans 1 week post op
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:01:42 pm »
Twindy where are you having surgery?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 03:19:40 pm »
You may not know that until then.       As long as you feel able to get around easily and have food available, I don't see why you can't.     I was home alone every day during the day and glad I was as could nap my am and afternoon nap and no one to bother me.    I had some visitors but most let me know when stopping.   If you have a neighbor or friend you could contact if needed,would be good.     Also if you behave and not try to do lots of housework when no one there to say NO.                  You will know what or what you shouldn't do post op.                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Twindy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:47 pm »
Mindyandy,
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics with Dr. Gantz.  Two weeks from today, then I will be able to tell you what my first thought post op was!

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:10 pm »
Hi Twindy,

I had surgery 3 weeks ago (mid fossa approach) and could not have been alone on day 8.  I went to get my stitches out (it turned out they had to stay in another week due to swelling) and I was not doing well.  I had a really hard time with dizziness and nausea and only made it to the bathroom and back for quite a while.  I needed someone to bring me medicine (and keep track of all of them) and food/drinks.  Also we found out that narcotics cannot be phoned in, so when I needed new medicine someone had to drive to the hospital to pick up the prescription and then fill it at the pharmacy.  I was fortunate enough to have my mom with me for 2 weeks post-op.  I'm still trying to think of a way to thank her :)

Other people here recovered much more quickly, so it does seem like you'll know as the time approaches how you're doing.  I hope you'll be doing great by then!

All the best of luck for your surgery.  We'll be thinking of you!

Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
Twindy
As your surgery date approaches I'm your nerves are being tested. I know mine are and I am still 1 month out. If you need to vent or get some last minute nerve jitters out we are here for you.  ;)

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Twindy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
Thank you Mindy and yes, nerves are a wreck right now and sure to get worse.  Trying to stay calm and confident.  I'm just putting one foot in front of the other and do all of my normal daily activities (work, taking care of the house, groceries, carting kids around etc.).  I am a preschool teacher/director so I have to put on a cheery face for 4 hours everyday, which I suppose is good for me, but is difficult.  If yours is in a month I will be two weeks ahead of you and will be thinking of you then!