Author Topic: post op check  (Read 2771 times)

denisecarey

post op check
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »
I finally had my post op check that was meant to be done at 3 month and it now nearly 5 months lsince op date!!!!

Surgeon checked my scar over and said it had healed perfectly, I told him about my neck and shoulder aching and that I get daily headaches he put the headaches down to tension in the neck, he is sending me for physio and he is also referring me to a pain clinic because of the aches im getting. I dont know whether I have mentioned but my doctor reduced my tramadol from 4 a day to 1 a day because she says "tramadol cause headaches" well I have been in agony ever since she reduced them (I not only have the pains mentioned above but also I get pains in most of my joints which is the reason I was put on tramadol in the first place).

I get another MRI in 6 months and  I see the surgeon again on 18th August 2010. Hopefully the appointments will be booked properly this time!!!

If there are any signs of growth I get referred for radio surgery.

o yes and I am gonna get a disc from radiology with my before and after images on, that is so cool. I can post them on here when I get them if anyone wants to see.

Sorry Its been so long but havent had much to say.

Denise
age 36, live in UK
3.8cm AN diagnosed March 09
Retrosigmoid  3 Sept 09 at Heath hospital CARDIFF
debulked tumor facial nerve intact
headaches, balance issues and ssd

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: post op check
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »
Time flies when you are having fun, eh Denise? So sorry you've been getting the headaches...I hope all the dr.'s can do something about so you can get relief! It'll be cool to see those images...I have to wait about a year for my next MRI so seeing yours will be cool!  Take care and hope all goes well and they give you some help!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:05:33 pm »
Hey, it's good when there isn't much to say  ;)

This is odd....I just checked to you on Facebook today to see if any updates.  Then, to see you post here, interesting.

Ya know, my surgery was after yours (11-9-09) and a smaller tumor.  But, as you may remember from my blog I had lots of neck and back pain.  I seen a pain thearpist and started P.T. for those areas.   They actually started electronic stimulation.....I love it!   I do it earlier in the day because it seems as if the neck pain is worst then, and I don't take any meds, but after 20 minutes on that machine, I feel so much relief, etc.    I've been doing it for a few weeks now and getting to the point of my neck feeling much better with it.

Is physio physical therapy?  Wondered if maybe it is something else.

Good luck!!!   
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:25 pm »
Denise!
Great to hear from you! Hmmm...I did not know Tramadol causes headaches...it is my lifesaver from headaches!!! I just started taking 100mg Tramadol extended release which has been heaven! I will be hoping for no growth so that you do not have to have radaiation. Keep checking in to let us know how you are doing and how the physio and pain clinic go. Take acre!
Erin

denisecarey

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »
Well neuro surgeon said Tramadol can cause headaches like most drugs do, but he said that as I am still getting headaches it cant be the tramadol causing them. Doctors, they will do anything to save money!!!

yes physio is physical therapy.

I have a tens machine but I have never used it on my neck, it does work for the shoulder pain, I will have to try it on my neck, problem is I have so many places I get pain I need about 30 pads and I don't have 30 sockets on the machine!!!

I am just glad that someone finally listened to me the neuro surgeon was so nice, all my doctor can say is "deal with it", he was quite annoyed that she had reduced the tramadol so dramatically and he said to ask her for a referral to the pain clinic and when I told him about her attitude he said that he would refer me. So things are looking up I get to see phsyio therapist and go to the pain clinic.

ttfn

Denise
age 36, live in UK
3.8cm AN diagnosed March 09
Retrosigmoid  3 Sept 09 at Heath hospital CARDIFF
debulked tumor facial nerve intact
headaches, balance issues and ssd

epc1970

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:08 pm »
Denise
I am happy to hear that you have a Dr in your corner that will help get you where you need to go-he sounds like a good ally! I am  also so happy to hear that my precious Tramadol is still good to take-I swear it is the only thing that beats my headaches! Keep in touch-I am interested to hear how the pain clinic goes. I am going to check in with my Dr to see if he thinks a TENS unit might help my shoulder/neck pain-thanks for the tip!
Erin

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:55 pm »
Denise & Erin,
Know it's been awhile, but I was searching on the TENS units and my own old post and came across this old one I posted on before.

Wondering how either of you are doing?   Did either of you get neck relief from TENS unit (or something close)?   I know it can be used for muscle areas, not on the outsides of the neck.     

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cin605

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:13:23 pm »
I am also on tramadol fro head and neck pain...have you tried neurontin?it has greatly improved my ability to function.
Today has been awful though....ears ach,head sore balance gone nausea the works here...think i just over did this week and stress is abig factor.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old