Author Topic: thank you  (Read 2878 times)

turbomom

thank you
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »
To each of you that lifted my name on July 7th, "I thank you!"  My surgery took 4 hours on Wed. the 7th, and Dr. Fukushima removed all the tumor. No facial problems, hearing is saved(will know how much in 2 months) and I am making daily strides in regaining my balance. I came home on Monday the 12th and today I could navigate the steps in the house, on my own; even though  I was holding on for dear life :-X The muscles in my neck are relaxing a little more each day as I am alternating ice packs and a heating pad on them. My sleep is more solid and less morphine "dream like". The first night home everything I dreamed about was crooked :o Now that was weird!!!!
I am very thankful that I found this site, and all its insightful informatiion. It was a huge help for me while making the personal decision to have the surgery. To each newbie, do your research, ask questions, pray and listen to your heart. Each decision is personal and you need to be at peace when you finally do make that decision. If I can help anyone on their journey, I am here(in north carolina).
Hugs and thanks to each of you,
Lisa (aka, turbomom)
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

moe

Re: thank you
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:40 pm »
Dear Lisa,
So thrilled to know that everything went well with you, and no facial probs with hearing so far saved. What more could you ask for, really! :)

Which approach did you have?

Let us know how you continue to to.
Hugs,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

turbomom

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:55:51 am »
Retrosigmoid "keyhole" approach and closed with a calcium bone-like material.
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »
Lisa ~

Your gracious and heartfelt comments regarding these forums and the posters that make them so helpful are much appreciated.  I'm delighted to learn of your successful surgery and it's splendid outcome as well as your steady progress in recovery.  Thanks for your contributions and may your healing continue apace.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »
Lisa, I'm so pleased for you! I'm glad it went so well. I too am home today. I shall raise a glass of bubbly for you. I already raised one for me...that stuff hits ya  hard...

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:25:43 pm »
Lisa,
I am so happy for you and keep up the good work.  Remember to listen to your body and don't over do it.
Relax and heal.
Take care and please keep us posted on your progress.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Barb909

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:07 pm »
Lisa,

I am happy to hear that your surgery went so well! Thank you for posting the update - we new ones need to read good stories! Hope that you continue to heal and life returns to normal very soon.

Barb
Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 04:02:00 am »
Lisa, 

Prayers for continued healing after your surgery.
Aren't you glad to be home?

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
Lisa .....

So happy to learn that Dr. Fukushima did his magic once again!   :)  He did a wonderful job on my case, as well, and thanks to a new Widex digital hearing aid, I now have nearly normal hearing in my AN ear.  I pray you will have the same result.

If I can help in any way, just PM me.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011