Author Topic: Acoustic Neuroma Survey  (Read 2575 times)

fbarbera

Acoustic Neuroma Survey
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:32 pm »
Dear Fellow AN Patients,

A couple of days ago I came across this survey of AN patients that is being conducted by Dr. Ajay Niranjan of the University of Pittsburgh and Dr. Jason Sheehan of the University of Virginia and the New Jersey Acoustic Neuroma Association: 

http://www.ansurvey.com/

The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete.  I filled it out because I believe this kind of data can be extremely helpful for future AN patients trying to evaluate treatment alternatives and manage expectations regarding post-treatment outcomes.

I figure I'd post it here in case others would like to fill it out as well.

Regards to all,

Francesco

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Acoustic Neuroma Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:48:18 pm »
Francesco -

I took the ANA survey - I think it was just last year? - is this the same one?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:09:15 pm »
Jan~
I came across a DIFFERENT one from the ANA survey and I kind of think that it was this one...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

fbarbera

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:45 am »
This is separate from the ANA survey.  I filled out the ANA survey a while ago, but if I recall correctly, this new one is more detailed.

Francesco

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
Just filled it out. For a while it was showing 30% done, and I thought it would take too long, but then it jumped to 99% done. I guess the rest was if you had multiple  treatments or major issues post treatment.

Every little bit of research helps!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:14 am »
Francesco: 

Thanks for the heads-up on this survey.  I filled it out but found it a bit redundant because I had surgery + FSR and it asks the exact same questions for each treatment, as if you didn't have both.  That should be addressed.  Otherwise, fairly complete and, one trusts, useful in the future treatment of acoustic neuroma patients.  I consider it worth my time (about 15 minutes).  Besides, how many surveys ask about your AN experience?  This was a first, for me.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:59:46 am »
This one was definitely different than the ANA one from last year.  It only took me about 10 minutes.  If it helps someone down the road, then I consider it 10 minutes well spent.

Thanks for passing this on Francesco!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 11:26:22 am »
I thought it was a good survey, and it just takes about 10 minutes (if you've only had one treatment). It certainly touches on a lot of the subjects that are discussed on this forum.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:48:31 pm »
This is not about the AN survey but relates to statistical information.  I have been tracking the ANA membership numbers for a period of 1 month because I noticed on a daily basis new members are joining.  There has been an increase of 82 members from 12 October - 12 November.  I know all memberships are not people diagnosed with an AN, some are undiagnosed, some think they might have one and are searching for symptoms, some are carers and others who knows.  I imagine though that the majority are AN diagnosis.  I thought the increase of 82 members in 1 month was pretty amazing; if this was the monthly average this would total 984 memberships per annum.

Kimbo.
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:59:36 pm »
This is not about the AN survey but relates to statistical information.  I have been tracking the ANA membership numbers for a period of 1 month because I noticed on a daily basis new members are joining.  There has been an increase of 82 members from 12 October - 12 November.  I know all memberships are not people diagnosed with an AN, some are undiagnosed, some think they might have one and are searching for symptoms, some are carers and others who knows.  I imagine though that the majority are AN diagnosis.  I thought the increase of 82 members in 1 month was pretty amazing; if this was the monthly average this would total 984 memberships per annum.

Kimbo.

Hi Kimbo,

Interesting that you are noting this. To me, it's an interesting phenom as we have the occassional spam user that logs onto/enrolls on to the site, as well as trolls (check internet lingo).  then, the ANA tracks paying members, so that is a different number all together.

Me thinks that the new users total amt you note may be very erred due to spam/trolls/phishers, but hey, that's just my thought.

Back on topic, I did take the survey. Thanks Francesco for sharing this! :)  Based on who is doing the survey and the type of info they seek, my hope is that the raw data they compile, as long as everyone answers honestly, will be fruitful for future treatment options and a better understanding to what AN patients endure.  again, just my thought.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »

Me thinks that the new users total amt you note may be very erred due to spam/trolls/phishers, but hey, that's just my thought.

I think you're correct about this, Phyl.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

fbarbera

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:57 pm »
Cheri, I'm not sure about availability of results.  It looks like they will be keeping the survey open through the Spring 2009.  Then there will probably be a period of compiling and analyzing the results.  I also hope they get the results out quickly.  Maybe I'll contact the co-sponsors of the survey and check with them. 
Thanks everyone for participating.  I hope they get enough participation to generate genuinely meaningful results.
Hope everyone is doing well.  Francesco

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »
I thought the increase of 82 members in 1 month was pretty amazing; if this was the monthly average this would total 984 memberships per annum.

According to the member listing, we have about 598 new members so far this year. Not that we're counting or anything. :)

(The member listing can be viewed by clicking on the member count at the bottom of the main page. Click column headings to sort.)

For some reason the member listing shows 3009, while the counter shows 3443. Not sure if that many have been deleted in the mean time, or what. Based on the posting count, out of that 3009 there are 1193 who have never posted, and  405 who have made only 1 post. So the spammer/phisher theory may be a good chunk of it.

Back to the survey: Francesco, even if they can't publish the results until they have analyzed them thoroughly, is there a way to find out how many responses they got? Just that info would say something about how useful or interesting the results might be.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.