Author Topic: Two days post Gamma Knife  (Read 9618 times)

Janey

Two days post Gamma Knife
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:38:03 pm »
Just to update on my situation after GK this past Friday in Pittsburgh at UPMC.  I felt
pretty good Friday evening, and also on Saturday.   However, I woke up this morning with
some serious dizzyness.  It is evening now and has not let up throughout the day.  During watch and wait I believed most of my useful hearing was gone on the AN side, but 48 hours past GK - it's really gone!!!!  Tinnitus is the same.  I am not alarmed by these events, thus the advantage of prior
research, but still a bit discouraged.  I know symptoms may come and go - just trying to be
patient!

mac84

Re: Two days post Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:11 am »
Hang in there! We're pulling for you......

Cary
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:50:55 pm »
Hang in there Janey. My hearing pretty much disappeared after CK then fluctuated and came back over the next 6 months...so it's not necessarily gone.. The first 6 months are the worst. Every day you are a little closer to this whole episode in your life coming to an end.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Janey

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:14 pm »
Thank you mac84 and PaulW for your words of encouragement.  I felt a little better today.
Keeping busy - I think that helps.

Blw

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:10:36 am »
Yup, definitely fluctuates. Mine has been up and down and the down was almost gone, then it comes back up.

Janey

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:47:47 pm »
Called the doctor today to report the hearing loss and dizziness.  Started on a steroid pack.
He said that I should see some improvement in a couple of days.  Hope you are all doing  well!

jeeper182

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:18:44 am »
Hope all gets better with the steroids. I am scheduled for mine this Thursday in Pittsburgh also. Hoping for the best and to put it all behind me. (yes, just a little nervous!)

Janey

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:14 pm »
Good Luck to you, jeeper 182.  I finished my steroid dose pack yesterday morning.  The dizziness
is much improved, and the hearing increased a little.

I was very nervous for my procedure over a week ago, and if there is anything I
can share with someone facing gamma knife @ UPMC, I'd like them to know that as for the
procedure itself - it was amazingly easy.  Everyone was phenomenal - nothing, and I mean
nothing hurt.  If one could only know this beforehand, it might save a great deal of anxiety!!!!

Again, good luck and I'll say a prayer for you!

Donna3

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 04:29:18 pm »
Thank you so much for talking about how you felt after your radiation treatment That's what I'm going to be set up for in Omaha NE. I am scared to death what it will be like. I started having balance problems and some headaches so I took ibuprofen for the headaches. I have high blood pressure now which I can't seem to get down very normal and the stress of this isn't helping me either. Im hearing from everyone "oh you'll be fine" those are people who don't understand what I'm going thru. This is a life changing thing in my life now.
We'll take care and I like having someone to listen to or talk to about this dumb tumor!
Donna

MG

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 04:21:12 am »
Hi Janey, I hope you are feeling better since taking the steroid pack. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. I have started my process for Cyber knife. Going to second appointment to meet another doctor on the team. Getting MRI and Cat scan. Then from there picking a date to do it. I am getting nervous to say the least. Best of luck with your journey!

To all on this thread who are also going through this, Good Luck!

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Janey

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:08 pm »
Hi Donna3 and MG,

Good luck to you both with your upcoming procedures.  I am doing very well this week.
I feel great, and hope that as time goes on I will not experience any new symptoms.

Donna3, we all understand your anxiety.  I pray that you will be comforted as you await the
time of your procedure.  There are a group of people who do understand what you are facing -
it's us here on this forum!  We are all rooting for you!

MG - keep us appraised of your Cyber knife experience.  God bless!

MG

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 06:32:59 am »
Thanks Janey!  :) I will keep you posted.Keep up the great updates!

Blessing,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

jeeper182

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 07:11:45 am »
Hi Janey,
                 Glad to hear that you are feeling good since my experience seems to be following yours. Thank you so much for the great description of the treatment process. You were right on and that kept me from being anxious that day. Didn't even need to take a 'calming pill' the night before. 2 days after, I started feeling dizzy/lightheaded and started the steroid pack. Have had several miserable days and am on day 3 now.

Didn't go to work today, but am hoping  to go tomorrow. Knowing that you are doing better gives me hope for the future. Patience has never been my strong suit and I hate feeling like this. (For all you Deadliest Catch fans: every time I walk, I feel like I'm walking across the deck of the Time Bandit on rough seas).

Hope all on thread are doing well. Keep us posed.

Janey

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »
Hang in there, Jeeper182,  I felt that exact same way for a few days - and improved a little each
day until I was finished with the steroid pack.  I worried that the extreme dizziness might return
after I  stopped the steroids, but it has not!   I feel a little tired off and on throughout the day,
but it hasn't interfered with routine life.  I hope you are feeling better soon!

To the rest of you on the thread - hope all is going well.

Janey

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »
Hello!  I am now a month past GK.  My husband and I are just driving home from a short trip
to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee.  We had a nice Memorial Day holiday.  I am feeling fine.  Still
have all the pre-GK symptoms (mild balance problems, a bit of "wonky head", tinnitus and hearing loss).  The only thing that is a little worse is the hearing loss, and occasional fatigue.

Jeeper182 - wondering how you are doing, as you are a couple of weeks behind me in this AN
treatment journey!  Hope all is well.