Author Topic: Cyberknife after surgery  (Read 3688 times)

phx

Cyberknife after surgery
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »
Okay, I had surgery already. It didn't go like planned, so now I'm looking at cyberknife. My tumor was originally around 4x3x3.5 cm. Now it's about 1.9x3x2. Somewhere around those measurements. About 15% less than the original. Anyone with a tumor that size or bigger that has done cyberknife or any other radiation? Your experiences please?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Cyberknife after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
phx -

did you have debulking surgery?

Sometimes when the AN is large (like yours was) doctors elect to remove part of it surgically then leave the rest and radiate it.  In this way, they can avoid getting too close to the facial nerve.

Jim Scott had debulking surgery followed by radiation; so have several others on the Forum.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:52:42 pm »
Phx ~

As Jan stated, I was diagnosed with a 4.5 cm AN, pressing hard on my brain stem, that was surgically 'de-bulked' and it's blood supply cut off.  The remaining, 'thinned-out' tumor was approximately 2.5 cm.  My symptoms all disappeared immediately following the surgery and did not return.  I had no surgical or post-op complications.  After a 90 day 'rest period', my neurosurgeon teamed with a radiation oncologist to 'map' (via CT and MRI scans) my FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery) treatments.  I received 26 separate FSR treatments (totaling about 27 gy) and later MRI scans indicated necrosis (tumor cell death) and some slight shrinkage of the remaining tumor.  The FSR experience was painless.  I suffered no adverse effects and drove myself on the 60 mile round-trip to and from the facility every day, Monday through Friday (they closed weekends).  I can only speak to my own experience but for me, radiation following surgery was very effective.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:18 am »
My experience was very similar to Jim's, except that I had a Translab to debulk my large AN. I underwent CK six months after surgery and as coincidence would have it, I go in for my first MRI since CK, tomorrow morning.  To answer your question, I experienced no side effects what so ever from CK Treatment and feel very good and I'm confident (hopeful) for a positive progress report with the MRI.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

stevecms

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Best of luck Doc for the mri,may the force be with you buddy,Steve :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »
Thanks Steve...all digits tightly engaged (fingers crossed)!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Angela

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:28:44 pm »
What was thought to be scar tissue after surgery has grown.  I'm going in for cyberknife radiation.  Sounds like you all had a good experience.  How long should I anticipate being off of work? 
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »
What was thought to be scar tissue after surgery has grown.  I'm going in for cyberknife radiation.  Sounds like you all had a good experience.  How long should I anticipate being off of work? 

after CK?  No days off for me.  I took the week off (ie: used vaca days) for my CK treatment (mine was done over a course of 5 days... Mon-Fri). I was back at work the following Monday.  Some fatigue (common to most) did set in from time to time immediately post CK but to take time off to "recuperate".... 0 days.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"