Author Topic: Seeking information  (Read 2462 times)

soumitra

Seeking information
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:34:16 am »
Hello,

I am from New Delhi, India and wish to seek information on treatment of AN. My mother , 68 years, has been diagnosed with AN of the left side. The tumour is large - 2.5 cm and doctors have recommended surgery. However because of her age and frail health we have yet to decide on surgery. She is diabetic and also suffering from hypertension. She has lost hearing in her left ear and has facial palsy.

Specifically i would like to know if after surgery a patient might have to also undergo radiation treatment. I would not like to subject her to both surgery and radiation treatment.

I would be grateful for any feedback on this.

Regards
Soumitra

Boppie

Re: Seeking information
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 02:01:51 am »
I am 63, with a 2 cm AN, about to have surgery translab in December.  I have no other significant health issues.  My doctors  questioned me first about my health (thoroughly) and then recommended me for surgery (which should take about 8 hours) based on their opinion of success and my ability to withstand this difficult and long surgery. 

If I had other health issues like hypertension and diabetes I would investigate and learn about treatment by radiation, if it could be found near me. 

My reasoning would be this.  If I went into surgery and a complication threatened continuing the length of the difficult procedure, the surgeon would close the site and do one of two things - do a second procedure at a safer time to remove the reaminder of the tumor, or send the patient for radiation to get the remainder.  Either way I would have two procedures and two major events to deal with.

In fact, when I asked my surgeon what he will do if he cannot get all of my tumor off of the facial nerve, he said he will have to leave a small part there for radiation treatment (if that portion starts to grow).  Since I could live at least another 20 years the possiblility that the "remainder" will grow is possible.  It is not a thing I like to think about but I wanted to share the facts I am facing.  Perhaps this will help you.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 02:23:02 am »
 Sometimes tumor size is a determining factor.  Good luck with your research.  You will find lots of information on this site to help.  Look under Treatment Options > Radiology

russ

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:25:15 pm »
Hi Soumitra
  I have no idea what health treatment is like in India. Are there good treating centers for acoustic neuroma?
  If the neurosurgeons are quite experienced, being your Mother has lost hearing already, if she can pass a cardiac stress test, she 'may' be a good candidate for translabythrine surgery and have no re-growth so would not need radiation.
  With frail health I start getting a bit nervous with both surgery or radiation with a 2.5 cm. tumor. Is it absolutely necessary it come out?
  I am guessing the Gamma Knife is the radiation option?
  Best wishes for the right decision for your Mother.
  Russ

julieteresa

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:45:47 am »
hi there -

i'm sorry to hear about your mother.  i had a very large tumor (4.5 cm) taken out a year and a half ago by dr. william slattery at the house ear clinic in los angeles.  the house ear clinic is world renound and has acoustic patients that range from children to 80 year olds!  i would highly recommend contacting dr. slattery (or any of the other doctors at the house ear clinic) for their opinion.

best of luck to you!!!!!
4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz