Author Topic: Hospital stay questions  (Read 3322 times)

JHager

Hospital stay questions
« on: August 18, 2005, 05:57:35 pm »
Howdy, all!

I'm new to the forum, having just found it a couple days ago.  Thanks, everyone, for sharing so freely! 

Anyway, I've been diagnosed with a 3cm right AN, probably been around for 10-12 years now.  There's actually some good news with this, relatively speaking: I've already lost most of my hearing, and apparently the majority of the balance function as well.  In other words, I've already dealt with some of the post-op consequences, which seems a good thing to me at this point.  Hopefully, that will allow me to adjust a bit quicker.  Besides being almost completely deaf on that sight, and some cricket-like tinnitis, I don't have any symptoms.

So far I've met with the neurotologist, and I'm seeing the neurosurgeon on 9/14.  (Good luck getting a quick appointment, right?)  I'm guessing surgery (translab - both docs have done more than 100, and prefer that approach for preserving the facial nerve.) will be end of September/early October.  I'm already sort of gearing up for that, but I have a few questions I think you can help me with.

1) I completely self-indulged and bought myself a Nintendo gameboy, the first video game I've bought in more than a decade.  My hope is that I can kill some time in the hospital and at home with the gadget.  Am I being too optimistic here?  How am I likely to be feeling?

2) How well did anyone eat after their procedure?  I'm pretty athletic, although I have a tendency to eat too much at times.  What's my appetite going to be like, and what foods agreed/disagreed with peopel post-surgery?

3) What kind of pain medication do they usually prescribe?  I've had Lortab for two previous arthroscopic surgeries (never, I repeat, NEVER tear your labrum, which is the sheath of cartilige around your shoulder joint!), and that seemed to work out okay.  Anyone have other meds/experiences?

Thanks for your thoughts, and your time.  I'm glad to know you're all out there!

Josh Hager

P.S. - Just FYI: I'm a 34-year old husband, father of two (4 and 5 years), high school teacher, and I live in Vegas.  (You know, 'What happens here, stays here.)  I'm having my surgery locally, but with a surgeon who did his Fellowship with some of the House docs at Stanford.  Insurance and other practical issues prohibit a trip to L.A., and I feel confident in my docs.  So, all things considered, things are pretty good.
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

matti

Re: Hospital stay questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 06:59:55 pm »
Josh - What is your surgeon's name? You mentioned Stanford, I had my surgery at Stanford in 1998. I had the middle fossa approach for a 3.5 cm AN.

1. I was in the hospital for 5 days. First 2 were in ICU - don't remember much there, but by day 3 & 4,  I was pretty aware of what was going on and actually started to become antsy and bored. Lousy TV. Sleep? who can sleep in a hospital. I tried to walk as much as I could and kept begging people to visit me.

2. They would not feed me until late on day 3 and that was jello and broth. I was still having some nausea from the anesthesia/medication. On day 4 & 5, I had regular meals. I did have a hard time eating because I could not open my mouth very far and facial paralysis started to set in (temporarily). I did keep dreaming about an In-n-Out burger/fries. I did lose some of my taste, at times I have a metallic taste in my mouth.

3. I was on morphine by injection and also anit-nausea medication. turns out the morphine was making me sick to my stomach, (and some really weird dreams),  so I was given tylenol/codiene and I felt soooo much better.

I had already lost most of my balance, so when I awoke from surgery I was not dizzy at all. I had perfect hearing before my surgery, but I unfortunetly lost my hearing nerve and that was a shock, but life goes on. 

For me, one of the most important things besides doing tons of research, was having that "gut" feeling about my surgeons. I was totally confident with them and needed to look no further. Sounds like you are very prepared and very positive, that is half the battle.

Keep us posted!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

luv2teachsped

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:53:14 pm »
Josh-     Ditto on what Matti posted.  I just had my surgery in May.  Like you, I had lost most of my hearing and balance.  Be prepared to eat soft foods for a while as your jaw may be sore for a while.  My neck and jaw were and still are at times sore.(when I talk too much, I am a elementay teacher)  I was in ICU for two days and in the hospital for 6.  I ended up back at the hospital the day after I left, because I had severe headaches and nausea to the point I was severely dehydrated.  Not the norm.
      The hardest obstacle for me has been hearing in a large group.  Maybe high school teachers are different, but elementary teachers seem to be just like their students; they all talk at the same time! Very hard to hear!  I am just returning to school next week since my surgery, so we will see how teacher's meetings go.  Stay active, but know when to stop and let your body rest!!!  Good luck! Let us know how things go.
luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

JHager

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:05:12 pm »
Okay, good stuff.  Thanks matti, and luvs2teachsped.  From what I'm gathering, I think it's a benefit to me that I've lost almost all the hearing in my ear already, so that won't come as much of a shock.  (Makes it very easy to sleep undisturbed, I'll tell you!)  This will be my fourth trip into general anesthesia land, so I think I'll handle that pretty well.

To answer other questions, my neurotologist is Ashley Sikand, and the neurosurgeon is John Anson.  They've been working together on AN's for about 6 years now, and Sikand has operated on more than 100.  I like him - I'll meet Anson on 9/14, so the jury's still out there.

I think my hospital plan will be to pack light for the first couple days, and then ask my wife to bring in the goods as I'm feeling better.  (Or at least more conscious!)  We'll see.

Thanks for the posts - I'll keep you updated!
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 12:47:55 am »
Josh: One thing I didn't see mentioned, if you have facial nerve complications....try using a straw for all drinks to avoid drooling, I kept this up for several months and even today when I'm really tired I'll drool my drinks (usually that's when the bartender cuts me off lol), I even used them for hot drinks (coffee/tea/broth). Best of luck, Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jenifyer

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:11:52 am »
Hi Josh,

I had my surgery May 5th to remove a 3 cm tumor.  I had to stay local due to insurance as well, but i found the greatest doctor!  He is also known to House and is very experienced.  The approach was translab as this was a recurrent tumor and i had already lost hearing and balance.  My surgery was on a Thursday and Saturday afternooon i was discharged.  The only problem with eating was that my appetite wasn't its usual hearty self!  I never eat fast food but for some reason all i wanted was McDonalds so my first real meal that saturday was a milkshake and a quarter pounder!!(i could only manage a few sips of the milkshake it was so sweet). 

I already had facial nerve damage from my first surgery 5 years ago (middle fossa) and did have some this time.  My face is actually to where it was before i had the surgery this time - and i still managed ok to eat what i wanted.  A good tip i saw mentioned is if you do have some nerve damage to use a straw.....but hopefully everything will go smoothly for you.  I am pretty active also and went back to the gym around 2 months after surgery but i could only use the treadmill or other cardio machines to where  i felt comfortable.  No lifting anything above 20 pounds. 

Good luck!

jennifer

ljedwards

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 10:58:19 pm »
Josh:

Check out anworld.com/  It's a web site developed by patients and includes a section on what to take to the hospital, etc.  Hope it's helpful.

Scott Rolen, All-Star third baseman of the world famous St. Louis Cardinals, has a labrum tear the news sources say he's trying to determine how to address.  Surgery now and recoup for six months or wait til the end of the season. Thanks for your insight.

Jeanne
ljedwards
GK 1998  left side 2.4 x 3.5cm
Midwest GK Center
Kansas City, MO

JHager

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 05:43:08 pm »
Hi Jeanne,

Do I possibly detect that you just might be a huge Cardinals fan?  I'm a lifelong Yankees fan myself, but they're not putting it together this year.  (Shucks - don't you just hate it when $200 million won't buy you a World Series?)

Rolen is probably the best third baseman in the game - that shoulder tear is going to hurt him and the team for awhile.  Despite that, I still think the Redbirds will win it all this year.  I coached high school baseball here in Las Vegas for a few years, and still keep in touch some of the guys I coached, including Brad Thompson, who is now one of the Cards' middle relievers.  Young guy, good pitcher, and a great human being.  Keep your eye him - he's got promise!

Thanks for the info on the hospital stay - I'll check it out!

Josh