Author Topic: Ear - Eye - Nose... all affected?  (Read 6456 times)

maarten

Ear - Eye - Nose... all affected?
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »
I had a left side tumor removed surgically. I have severe dry eye on tumor side as I'm no longer producing tears. It seems my left nasal passge is also affected...constant bleeds and difficulty breathing/congested. Everything always on left side. I know the dry eye is a very common after effect, but does anyone have similar issues with nasal passage? Thanks!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Ear - Eye - Nose... all affected?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:42:01 pm »
I do. In my case it is because of the hemifacial spasms/synkenesis that is pulling my nose to the upper left of my face and collapsing my nostril. However, given the other minor issues I have, I would not be surprised if your problem was related to nerve involvement/trauma.

On the other hand, it could be completely unrelated.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:59:01 am »
I have the same problem. My right eye does not produce tears, and my right nostril is always extremely dry (whereas my left is constantly runny because of allergic rhinitis). My ENT thinks that the nose dryness is associated to the dry eye, because all these passages being connected.
I try to keep my nostril moist as much as possible. I use products like Rhinaris, and a non medicated hydrating spray (nasogel, which contains sodium hyaluronate). The various saline nasal rinses can also help. You can find these products OTC, you will need to experiment quite a bit to find which one works for you.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:29 am »
I know this sounds crazy, but on my surgical side, my left eye tears terrible and my left nostril runs but this only happens when I eat - go figure.  Aside from that, my eyes and nose work well.

Sorry to hear your problem.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:28:43 pm »
Like Chances3, my left eye waters a lot & my left nostril runs a lot; I figured it's from the facial spasms.  I use an OTC eye drop since my opthamologist said when you produce a lot of tears it really means you're suffering from dry eye.  As far as the nose goes, I now carry Kleenex with me all the time.

Good luck.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »
With my paralyzed side I also have runny nose & teary eye, go figure!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jill Marie

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:38 pm »
I too have quite a few nose bleed episodes, one quite a few years ago that I should have gone to the ER for, went to the doctor the next day.  I was told it had nothing to do with the tumor but I disagree as I continue to get them now and then on the tumor side even after they cauterized the spot in my nose that they say was causing the bleeds.  My eye doesn't water unless I break into a sweat while getting some exercise, my nose runs then as well, tumor side only of course.   
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

spgreenfield

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:12:15 am »
I can match your dry eye and nose and raise you reduced saliva!  It's been over a year since my surgery, but I have seen improvements.  BUT I also went to a very specialized acupuncturist locally as well.   I haven't been in a while due to financial reasons, but since I have movement and some feeling on the AN side I was confident that the nerves were all connected and just confused.  My eye, I had a tear duct plug put in only in the lower duct (she said she could put an upper one in if I needed it) and that really helped.  It's still in, but I only have "adequate" tears - not pooling as there would be if I needed to have it removed. Maarten - not sure how long ago your surgery was, but it took nearly a year for me to be able to back off the amounts of drops I was having to use.....hopefully you will find it improves for you as well....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12