Author Topic: Planning a Pregnancy while in W&W  (Read 3659 times)

ANAuD

Planning a Pregnancy while in W&W
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:48 am »
I was diagnosed with a 1.5 cm AN a month ago that is relatively asymptomatic at this point other than some mild intermittent vertigo (no hearing loss, tinnitus, or facial issues, and it is mostly confined to the IAC at this point, nowhere near the brainstem or cerebellum). My neurotologist would like me to monitor the growth with 6 month MRIs, so my next MRI will be in late December/early January. However, my husband and I would like to start a family and I hope to get pregnant in September/October if all goes as planned. If I do conceive as quickly as I hope, what does this mean for the 6 month MRI? I understand that MRIs are considered relatively safe in pregnancy compared to X-rays and CT scans, but that the gadolinium contrast agent is not recommended (which is definitely needed for imaging of an existing AN). If I were to have an MRI prior to conceiving, it would only be about 3 months from my initial scan, and if I were to wait until after delivery, it will be a year or more between the two scans. Has anyone else been in this situation? Obviously, if I need to have an MRI while pregnant it won't be the end of the world, but I'd like to minimize the risk as much as I can. Thanks!  :)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Planning a Pregnancy while in W&W
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »
My opinion for the two cents that it's worth is that you delay getting pregnant until after you get your AN resolved with either surgery or radiation.

It's not just the gadolinium issue during pregnancy, it's the fact that ANs can potentially grow quickly and bad symptoms can arrive suddenly and without warning.

Your little trespasser is insidious and isn't going to postpone doing a number on you while you have a baby.

And while an AN itself might not be harmful to a fetus, falling down due to balance issues could be.

Sorry to have to be blunt but here's my advice: Be afraid of this thing in your head and get it taken care of before you get pregnant.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

SueLL

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:09:45 pm »
Tough one!  There is never a right time to have a baby or to decide on what to do with an AN!!

If you are going to wait 6 months for the next MRI, why not see what happens on the pregnancy side/the AN symptom side/your stress level?  I personally would not put any contrast into my body while pregnant, so if you do get pregnant, you'd likely want to wait on the follow-up MRI.  Yes, ANs grow and 1.5 is not small, but you'll find many successful W&W members on the forum.  On the flip side, if you wait to get pregnant, each MRI can potentially damage your body - not good for a baby either.  Of course, medical experts will poo-poo the effects of MRIs, but any treatment introduced into the human body has potential side effects, especially long-term.  Finally, having an AN is very stressful - dealing with the diagnosis, symptoms, treatment decisions, etc.  Stress is not good for pregnancy, so how are you handling the AN?

Just a few things you might want to consider in your decision-making process . . . Best of luck!
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:47:49 am »
Here's a study from 2013 about the risks of gadolinium during pregnancy.

http://acr.sagepub.com/content/54/6/599.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr

Here's one that indicates a risk to the fetus from just the MRI.

http://radiology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/patient-safety/ct-mri-pregnancy/risk-teratogensis

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0