Author Topic: Surgery for 63 year old, December 15  (Read 2615 times)

Boppie

Surgery for 63 year old, December 15
« on: December 03, 2005, 08:48:45 pm »
My Translab surgery date is coming up soon, 2 cm rt.  I'm ready and looking forward to doing the best baby steps I can.  I'd like to thank everyone for the wonderful posts and input that is available here.  The forum has been so much help to me. 

I'd sure like to hear more from other AN patients in my age group 60-70 years.  I've heard there are many out there, so I would like posts concerning their recoveries.  I realize each story is unique, but I want to hear more about recovery tips, expectancies, healing time, etc. for people my age.  I admire each of you for your courage.  I think this post could bring insight for wait and watchers too.

Lois (AKA "Boppie")

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
Re: Surgery for 63 year old, December 15
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 12:04:31 pm »
Hi Lois, Just me again. Wanted to tell you I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Gosh the 15th is just around the corner. I think you are gonna do just great. Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:53:46 pm »
Hi Lois,

My father had AN surgery in March of 2004 at the age of 63. This was a translab surgery to remove a regrowth that was causing some trigeminal symptoms. The surgery lasted about 7 hours, mainly because they had to take time to get through the scar tissue form his previous surgery. At any rate, he was out of surgery at about 11 pm. When I came in the next morning, he was sitting in a chair eating breakfast! He went for his first walk before lunch. His goal was to walk from ICU to his room on the ward, which they allowed him to do. The doctors released him after 3 days. He started driving after 2-3 weeks, and has never looked back. I think that a big reason for his quick recovery to his good physical condition before the operation. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Sam Rush

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 10:57:15 pm »
I had my trans-lab surg exactly one yr ago, at age 61. I was back at work as a medical doctor in 2 1/2 weeks!!! At House clinic they consider people under 65 as young, as far as AN surgery is concerned.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

RM

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 09:38:18 pm »
Hi Lois,

Its me Rita. I have my surgery two days before yours.  I have really appreciated your posts and I wanted to thank you for all of your support and help. 

RM

kimmy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 11:26:40 am »
Hi Lois. Hope you'll be home very soon and able to tell us how you got on. I'm 64 and had translab for a 1.5cm AN in August '05.  I'm went back to work part time on 1st November and feel OK if more tired than usual.  My eyebrow movement and smile have really improved well and my dry eye (which was a pest to begin with) is also getting better. I only use Lacrilube every 2 or 3 days now.  I was lucky in that I haven't had any balance problems at all.  I was up and dressed from the first day I was home and able to go for a short walk in the first week. You definitely need somebody around for a week or so. Be careful with your first shower - I nearly passed out. Stand on a non-slip mat if your shower's over the bath and have something to sit on straight away. I do hope your operation has gone well and that you will soon start to feel better and that you can enjoy Christmas.  All the best. Kimmy :)
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005