Author Topic: Radiosurgery on Wednesday, finally!  (Read 5158 times)

Betsy

Radiosurgery on Wednesday, finally!
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:42:05 am »
Hello,

I’m having Trilogy radiosurgery this Wednesday (tests & stuff tomorrow) at Geisinger in Danville PA.  It’s just far enough away to justify staying overnight at a local inn, so my sister and I are driving out together.  A family friend will be driving Mom down around mid-morning on Wednesday.  Since making the appointment I’ve been much less anxious, however my confidence took a hit when I read Dr Medbery’s comments this morning.  Nothing has changed really; I still trust my radiation doc and still feel in my heart that I’ve made the right choice…it’s just those darn butterflies in my stomach that are making me uncomfortable.  I think I’ll feel better when I get out of this apartment and around some people.  Gotta stop thinking so much.

Any advice from the posties out there?  Did you get cold feet?  How did you distract yourself?

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Mark

Re: Radiosurgery on Wednesday, finally!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07:26 am »
Betsy,

Don't worry, you will be fine. Trilogy is by all indications a very, very capable machine for treating an AN and certainly a step up from some other Linac machines. Dr. Medbery's comments were only in response to some of the machine claims in the Hospital sponsored link and an overview of the technical differences in the machine that were posed to him. The differences may be more critical in some types of tumor treatments, but I think an AN is fairly basic for most of them.

Yes, second guessing is part of the process, I was reconsidering surgery the night before my treatment  ;). Whether one does Trilogy, GK, or CK, I think the treatment process itself is anticlimatic to the decision.

Best wishes

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sloxana

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 12:02:41 pm »
Hi Betsy

Hang in there, girlfriend!  You are going to be fine!!  I would imagine it would be natural to have butterflies when you are this close to beginning treatment.  When it's my turn, I know I will be nervous for sure!  But I know you've done your research, you have confidence in your medical team and you've had peace about your choice.  So...go for it!  You'll do great!!

Best wishes,
Susan

1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007
Surgery will be 9/14/10 with Dr. Haynes and Dr. Thompson at Vanderbilt

BeJoi

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:46:56 pm »
Hi Betsy,

I echo everyone's feedback so far.  You can feel really good about your decision and I will keep you in my prayers that it will succeed for you.  You'll find that, as others have said, getting to the decision is almost worse than the actual therapy.  Now that you've decided, you can sit back and trust the process.   It will be over before you know it and you'll be back to life as usual, if not a little wiser from the whole process.

All the best to you,

Beverly

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:06:34 pm »
Hi again, Betsy,

I read Medbery's "treatise" on CK as well. When you get down to it, the fact is that all three systems do very well on ANs, and the differences each claim are pretty small. Trilogy will work out just fine, and you are right to go with your doctor and your heart on this. I would be worried about you if you weren't a little nervous, it is not something you do every day. I still have a few weeks to go, and I wonder about it all the time.

All the best for a good treatment day and a great outcome.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Betsy

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:52 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.  I'm much calmer today now that all the pre-tests are finished.  All they did was another MRI and bloodwork.  My radiation doc was surprised that instead of my usual notebook full of questions, I only had three questions on a sticky note.  I really do have a good feeling about this.

Betsy

15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:01 pm »
Good Luck Betsy with your treatment and eventual recovery.  We'll all be anxious and curious to hear about your experiences - so take notes!! 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Betsy

Re: Radiosurgery on Wednesday - Update
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:27 pm »
I did it!  For the most part, everything went as expected.  I have to say the "happy" pill was terrific.  The pin-holes on my head are very sore, all six of 'em....which is a story for another post.  Just wanted to pop on to say thank you for the prayers and good wishes!

Betsy

BeJoi

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:40:13 pm »
Hi Betsy,

Congratulations and I'm very happy that it's now over.  I'm sure the pinholes will heal quickly and you will be back to normal in no time.  I've never heard of 6 pinholes, though; i thought it was always four. 

Beverly

sloxana

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
Hey Betsy

You did it!  Hooray!  I'm so glad for you! I can't wait to hear more! 

But I do have to ask a question....PINHOLES??  What pinholes?  Guess it's obvious that I have not done my research on this type of radiation! :)  Can someone please tell me what the pinholes are for?

Susan
1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:20:34 am »
Zap!
"and another one bites the dust..."
Good riddance, little AN!

Nice going, Betsy. Rest well and recover, then get on with life.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

P. Palmer

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:18:18 pm »
I trust all went well for you Betsy and you are on the road to recovery. I am a 70 year old grandmother facing radiosurgery at Emory in the near future. I found out about my AN in Feb. 07 nd the six month MRI showed growth. This is very unsual for older people. You ar ein my prayers.
P. Palmer

Craig

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 11:12:42 am »
Susan,

I had Trilogy done at Vanderbilt and they did not secure the headframe with screws. Dr. Cmelak will explain that to you when you come in. They fit a plastic mask over your head and lock into a cage to hold you down during the procedure. It was very pleasurable experience as far as radiation goes. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers,

Craig
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

sloxana

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 01:18:11 pm »
Thanks, Craig!

I saw Dr. Cmelak on Monday and he expained everything to me.  My husband and I were very impressed with him.....his knowlege of the different types of radiation therapy, his willingness to discuss all my options, his confidence in using the Trilogy, and his training and background (did you know he trained at Stanford?).  I'm now going to research CK before making my decision but I did want to let you know that we met Dr. Cmelak and really liked him.

Thanks so much for telling us about him!!! :)
Susan

1.9 cm AN
Diagnosed Jul 9 2007

Betsy

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 06:15:42 pm »
Hi Susan....just in case you decide on the one-shot Trilogy treatment, make sure they shave the spots where the headframe pins go in.  They numb up the pin sites pretty well, but if your hair gets caught in the pin while they're screwing it on, you're talking about some real pain!  Reminded of when a kid got a Sugar Daddy stuck in my hair at swimming lessons.  After the fact, I learned they have tiny little razors that would only cut a small spot.  If you go with the fractionated treatment, they'll use a mask like Craig said.  I've got a picture, if only I could figure out how to post it!

Betsy